PDA

View Full Version : 4th meet in the books

fulldaddy
06-30-2009, 03:07 PM
Hey guys,

This weekend I competed in the Twin Port Open up in Duluth, MN (USAPL). It was a RAW only meet and an absolute blast. There were some outstanding lifters there (most notably Tony Reid 181, and Steve Powell - 220). I have always enjoyed reading everyone's meet write ups so I thought I'd include mine as well. I competed at 285 (hwy in USAPL) and while I fell short of some of my goals I did set a PR in the DL. I think the almost 10 hours from the time we left Bismarck to settling in at the hotel in Superior, WI ran me down a bit - the trip was a lot of fun for my wife and I. Here is the run down with video links.
Squats
1st attempt 523 http://www.youtube.com/user/fullertraining#play/uploads/3/paGCVZJ34p8
2nd attempt 551 (red lighted due to depth) http://www.youtube.com/user/fullertraining#play/uploads/2/fXtXYX_Lo0k
3rd attempt 573 (miss) http://www.youtube.com/user/fullertraining#play/uploads/1/PlSAGKG15Rc
Bench
1st attempt 341
2nd attempt 358 http://www.youtube.com/user/fullertraining#play/uploads/0/hKFmVQpG9kw
3rd attempt 369 (miss)

Deadlift
1st attempt 529 - Meet PR
2nd attempt 551 - Meet PR
3rd attempt 573 - Meet PR http://www.youtube.com/user/fullertraining#play/uploads/4/3X7c8uEgWJ4

I had hoped for a 1531 total which would've given me a top 20 ranking on one of Jon's list but I had to make some changes and settle for a 1460. It'll come and I WILL enjoy the journey. I am already thinking of some changes in form/training I need to make and I welcome your comments. Have a great week everyone.

barbell01
06-30-2009, 03:35 PM
that 2nd squat looked good to me, great job man!

fulldaddy
06-30-2009, 03:40 PM
that 2nd squat looked good to me, great job man!

Thanks bud. I wasn't real happy about it but my powerlifting saying when it comes to squats is "leave no doubt" and I did so.... just get ready for the next one right? Thanks BB01

Clifford Gillmore
06-30-2009, 04:01 PM
That 2nd squat was WELL below. Great job.

thegreatone
06-30-2009, 04:19 PM
Looked good to me too but I wasn't there and videos are tough to go by. Nice Job though!

Ryano
06-30-2009, 04:23 PM
Good job. I can't believe they call that 2nd squat on depth????????????

BigTallOx
06-30-2009, 04:32 PM
Ditto the comments about the second squat, but it *is* hard to tell from a video, so the judges are right ( even if by definition ).

But, to the real point...

Great lifting fulldaddy! Awesome job.

Tim K
06-30-2009, 04:40 PM
I'm echoing all the other sentiments posted so far both on depth and judging. From here, the second squat looked plenty deep enough... how long before a lifting federation allows for instant replays? Good Job and strong lifting on the platform!

fulldaddy
06-30-2009, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys - I do appreciate it. I know with the way my legs are shaped (narrow by the knee and a lot thicker at the top) it is very difficult for me to get below parallel with a wider stance (and hard to judge). I can watch the video multiple times and see something different so I can't blame anyone but myself.

My next meet will be the Twin City Open in Minneapolis, MN on September 19th. It will mark my first year competing and I am grateful to have found this sport (again). Before this calendar year is over I am going to make a run at a 600 squat (raw) and deadlift. I've kept my training pretty basic and I am now looking forward to incorporating band/chain/box work.

Powerlifting has been such a blessing for me. Thanks again guys

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
07-01-2009, 05:54 AM
Great job and congratulation on your dl pr! Also, good luck at your next meet!

Illinimeats
07-01-2009, 06:38 AM
Good job; your 2nd squat was deeper than some world record squats...lol.

Illinimeats

Buccos1
07-01-2009, 07:28 AM
awesome lifting!

blownby
07-01-2009, 09:10 AM
nice lifting. and yes the second squat was right at that point of yeah or neah for the USAPL. I just did a meet too and they were very picky, with depth. Like you mentioned best to leave no doubt as for depth! But damn u just missed the 573. SO close. Plus you had gas for more on that DL!

Also how sweet is Tony Reid to watch. He was competing next to me last year at RAW nationals. Are you going to this years?

fulldaddy
07-01-2009, 09:38 AM
Thank you guys. I've put a lot of things I've learned here from you guys into practice and it has helped me tremendously.

Somehow I didn't know who Tony Reid was until this weekend. I sure as hell know who he is now. I just could not believe what I was seeing. All of the heavyweight weight class would stop there warm ups to watch everytime he was on the platform. It was great to see a lifter of his caliber be so down to earth. I talked to him after the meet and he was great - very humble.

I thought a lot about the RAW nationals but I couldn't really afford to go to Duluth this weekend. Awhile ago one of my goals was just to compete regionally for 2009 and then God willing compete nationally in 2010. I turn 39 in early August so I am anxious (as it applies to lifting ha ha) to hit the masters scene next year. Even though a few of the big boys from MN won't be there I am excited to see what some guys are going to move.

blownby
07-01-2009, 09:44 AM
Yeah i am pretty sure he won overall at RAW nationals last yr. Phenominal lifter! It's great to have a few great lifters in your neighborhood. I have a few here in cleveland, Bob Wahl, Bob Eucker, Dave Ricks, Greg Page..

This sport is addicting.

mikesbench
07-01-2009, 04:34 PM
Nice work fulldaddy!

fulldaddy
07-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Yeah i am pretty sure he won overall at RAW nationals last yr. Phenominal lifter! It's great to have a few great lifters in your neighborhood. I have a few here in cleveland, Bob Wahl, Bob Eucker, Dave Ricks, Greg Page..

This sport is addicting.

Good luck by the way at Nationals. Eucker is a dude - I like to read his training journal. I'd like to be in an environment where I've got guys like those around to learn from and to lift with.

Being a former athlete/coach - finding powerlifting was like being given a second chance. I've said this before here - it has been incredibly refreshing to participate in an individual sport after so many years in "team" sports. You - and you alone (for the most part) are responsible for your success or failure. Then on the day of the meet you are part of a big team cheering for eachother. I love it. No doubt it is addicting.

Thanks Mikesbench.