PDA

View Full Version : Squat Critique (and depth check)

danmac
07-01-2009, 04:16 AM
So I competing in 2 weeks and i dont get to spend anytime squatting with powerlifters (just my bench work on fridays).

First off, i just want to make sure these are good depth for an IPF competition. I haven't competed there before but i hear the judging at this one is pretty strict and they arent a fan of the raw guys.

So yeah, is the depth good? Is there anything that they would red light me for in this?

zchDpUs8eVQ

VupHL2c2dP4

Also tips and suggestions are more than appreciated. I probably wont change to much before the meet but i definitely need to get this squat up!

Clifford Gillmore
07-01-2009, 04:37 AM
IPF in Australia would red light it, your hip crease breaks the knee - but I don't know what the US people will say.

As far as your form goes, lead with your hips - your breaking at the knees first, so the bar is going forward and you have to GM it up. Second, throw your head back into the bar and lead up with your chest.

danmac
07-01-2009, 04:47 AM
IPF in Australia would red light it, your hip crease breaks the knee - but I don't know what the US people will say.

As far as your form goes, lead with your hips - your breaking at the knees first, so the bar is going forward and you have to GM it up. Second, throw your head back into the bar and lead up with your chest.

****. Even the 405? It really thought i was hitting good depth.

It's a CPu meet in canada. IPF affiliated. In case that makes a difference.

And yeah, i have to start squatting with some good squatters. My form sucks. I good morning the **** out of everything.

blownby
07-01-2009, 09:25 AM
The 405 looked better than the 365, but it not super obvious LOW. Your best bet for video to is to be sure the two saftey bars are in line with one another to be sure the camera is straigt. Cuz now it is on a slight downward angle to throw it off. Also small shorts help to see the hip joint relation to knee.....In a singlet/tight/small shorts easier to see....

I have video from meets if ya want to see

blownby
07-01-2009, 09:27 AM
Also be sure your knee's are straight & locked before ya start......u wont get the start command w/o doing so

bill
07-01-2009, 09:49 AM
Looked pretty good to me, practice some light box squats in the mean time.

BFGUITAR
07-01-2009, 09:51 AM
On the 405 squat right at 0:24 you can see yourself falling forwards. This makes depth a lot harder to reach due to the raising hips.

I had the exact same problem as you. From what I can see you begin squatting and then at one point your back leans forward. You still manage to go deep but you must be using a hell of a lot of energy with that GM. I always envisioned squatting like your sitting on the toilet. When I started lifting with the big guys I had to start back down from 315 after almost squatting 400 :s. Only now 2 months later am I coming back.

Hazerboy
07-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Your first vid is very, very close, though I'd say your 2nd would pass in the two feds I've lifted in (ADFPF, 100% RAW), but only just.

And there's nothing wrong with that. I bury most of my attempts, which really means I end up leaving lbs on the platform.

danmac
07-01-2009, 10:54 AM
The 405 looked better than the 365, but it not super obvious LOW. Your best bet for video to is to be sure the two saftey bars are in line with one another to be sure the camera is straigt. Cuz now it is on a slight downward angle to throw it off. Also small shorts help to see the hip joint relation to knee.....In a singlet/tight/small shorts easier to see....

I have video from meets if ya want to see

I will take a new video next week with a better angle and shorts.

Also be sure your knee's are straight & locked before ya start......u wont get the start command w/o doing so

I will make sure.

Looked pretty good to me, practice some light box squats in the mean time.

So we got a yes here. I will probably do another 365 squat next week and make sure everything good to go with depth. I think im opening really light like 350 and ill just force it down to make sure i get depth.

On the 405 squat right at 0:24 you can see yourself falling forwards. This makes depth a lot harder to reach due to the raising hips.

I had the exact same problem as you. From what I can see you begin squatting and then at one point your back leans forward. You still manage to go deep but you must be using a hell of a lot of energy with that GM. I always envisioned squatting like your sitting on the toilet. When I started lifting with the big guys I had to start back down from 315 after almost squatting 400 :s. Only now 2 months later am I coming back.

Yeah thats the first thing i noticed on the video, i had no idea i was doing that, THAT much. I just drop all of a sudden. I have poor hip flexibility that i never address. I really really should start. I am going to have to train with some guys soon, hopefully make some contacts at the july meet.

Detard
07-01-2009, 12:31 PM
I've competed in the OPA which is IPF, and i'd say that would pass. Although I've seen a well below parallel squat get red lighted. What CPO meet is it? I didnt know CPO was even doing a meet in london (unless your talking about CPU)

Ben Moore
07-01-2009, 02:03 PM
Looks fine to me.

Tim K
07-01-2009, 05:50 PM
When you pick the bar up out of the rack, take one or two small steps back. They don't need to be huge, giant steps. You look like you're wasting some effort taking a big step to the back of the rack. Stay tight!

danmac
07-02-2009, 01:06 AM
I've competed in the OPA which is IPF, and i'd say that would pass. Although I've seen a well below parallel squat get red lighted. What CPO meet is it? I didnt know CPO was even doing a meet in london (unless your talking about CPU)

Sorry, i meant CPU. I am competing at the ottawa open, its OPA. Which is through CPU. Which is IPF affiliated. I am still getting used to all the codes.

smitsky
07-02-2009, 08:02 PM
I compete in the USAPL (IPF). I think your depth is good. Yes, USAPL judging is very strict. A lot depends on the individuals who are judging.

At the meet before last, I got red-lighted by the two side judges, while the front judge gave me a white. My training partner (who is a 15 year USAPL veteran) agreed with the call, and told me I was at and not below parallel.

Remember, in the IPF you must be below parallel. Lighten up on your Opener especially, if you think you might have trouble hitting proper IPF depth. I wouldn't attempt a weight that you don't think you could bring up unless you hit proper depth. I tend to be conservative though: I would rather have a lift passed with a bit less weight, than to get called for depth.

Here's a vid of my recent raw Squat. Everyone said the depth was good:

KXDPjGJBZzM

Good luck!

robchris
07-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Depth looks good brother! I agree w/ Tim, take smaller steps back and conserve that energy... Open w/ a weight you can at least triple to see where you're at w/ the depth & the judging. Good luck bro!

BrockO'Bummer
07-06-2009, 01:57 AM
PERFECT DEPTH in both lifts in my opinion!