PDA

View Full Version : Squats before Bench?

Andre518
07-01-2009, 09:55 AM
Next week starts my third wave of 5/3/1. I notice that each week I have been having trouble getting a good set on my squats because of lack of flexibility in my shoulders. I started stretching more this week in hopes it will help. Some other people told that it may because I bench on thursday and squat firday that Im so tight. Should I switch my routine around some?
Current routine
Mon- Military Press
Tues-Deadlift
Thur-Bench
Fri-Squat

getting there
07-01-2009, 10:14 AM
I have my 5/3/1 set up the same way and my shoulders are fine the next day for squatting. I don't really do anything special stretching-wise for them on squat day. I'd see how the stretching helps for you over the next week or so. If it helps then keep at it. If not then I would break it up:

Monday: Squat
Tuesday: Military press
Thursday: Deads
Friday: Bench

=Travis=
07-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Spread your grip out wider if you need to and start stretching more often even when you're not lifting.

Tom Mutaffis
07-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Do you do any shoulder pre-hab work? Such as face pulls?

You may want to introduce them into your program along with increased stretching.

evilxxx
07-01-2009, 01:29 PM
I do all kinds of shoulder stretching for squats ,even between sets, i usually start with a grip thump length outside the rings and a really high bar, once im getting closer to my work out weights im already index over the rings and a low bar. I do plenty of arm and shoulder rotations before i even start stretching the shoulders.

robchris
07-01-2009, 07:31 PM
Andre,
Are you sore from the BP workouts? This would definitely effect your ROM. Strech & slide your grip out farther... Always helped me when my shd. felt beat-up

BTW,I swithed my rountine around for the same reason. I now, squat- bench- DL, on M-W- F, in that order, just like in a meet so I have a full day recovery between workouts.