PDA

View Full Version : weightloss/cardio question

Mike S
07-01-2009, 12:37 PM
I'm trying to lose 10-15 pounds. My question is if I am doing enough cardio. I'm big on mountain biking and I do atleast 10-15 miles a day, which is roughly 45 minutes i suppose; never really timed it. Is that enough? I really want to get these pounds off by around the end of summer, if possible.

Trainwreck
07-01-2009, 12:54 PM
To lose weight all you have to do is eat below maintenance. Burn more calories than you consume and you'll burn the fat.

Joe Black
07-02-2009, 01:28 AM
Cycling 10-15 miles a day is brilliant, I don't think you have to worry about any cardio on top of that.

Make sure you are hitting the weights hard at least a couple of times a week, not just cycling.

As Trainwreck said, diet is particularly important. You need to be eating under what your body needs to maintain it's bodyweight (the cycling will help as this is essentially burning calories) otherwise you won't lose weight.

I found the two following things to be the biggest help in dropping weight.

1. be careful with carbs. I now only eat carbs when I deserve them - during a workout in the form of a drink and about an hour after as part of a postworkout meal. At all other times of the day, my carbs come from fruit or vegetables.

2. Watch your portion size. Most people just eat way too big meals and it's uneccessary. I am now eating half the size in my portions as I used to and it feels normal. I was just being greedy before.

Mike S
07-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Hey thanks guys.

I'm watching my diet, I've lost alot of weight already but that was with more than biking, I was running two miles, skating all day, playing football etc. But work is getting in my way ALOT right now so all I'm realling doing is biking. (I did 85 miles one weeked! Was going for 100 but I crashed on a banked turn and tore my knee open...) anyways.... I can't get to the gym much either...I figure I'm definitely gonna lose more muscle than usual.

viru87
07-07-2009, 04:31 AM
Hey biking is a good idea. Even i would like to try it. I go for walking. Also i walk stairs up and down.