PDA

View Full Version : attempt #2 of not being skinny

pagodas11
07-01-2009, 06:09 PM
Brief history before I really get into it:
was a track/xc runner and soccer player in high school, I lifted, but not many gains with all the cardio and lack of knowledge about proper lifting/diet. Freshman year of college came and went, I'd joined the ultimate frisbee team at my school (I run in this as much if not more than I did as a soccer player), and again not much gains. Read starting strength the following summer and felt like an idiot. Gave a 3 day full body a go first semester this past year, starting at 5'11 and 140 lbs put on 10 pounds easily, and all my lifts went up a ton. Second semester, I got a high ankle sprain while cutting during a tournament-I wanted to keep competing, so I hobbled around most of the time and lifting wasnt too much of an option. Lost some weight, but decided to let the ankle heal and ease myself back into lifting this summer.
Summer started and I found a full body routine that I liked the looks of so I have been going from there. Its design is this:
A:
Squat
Bench
Pullups
Abs
B:
Squat
OH Press
Deadlift
chinups
dips
At the start of the summer (5/21 was my first workout) with a re-learning of form my numbers were:
Squat:135
bench:115
press:75
dl:135
pullups:9 over 2 sets <--- really bad
chinups:15 over 2 sets
dips:20 over 2 sets
bodyweight of 145
Currently:
squat:185
bench:145
press:95
dl:145 (going very slowly with this one as I have hurt my lower back before)
pullups:16 over 2 sets
chinups:13wtd with 15 pounds over 2 sets
dips:20 wtd with 15 pounds over 2 sets.
bodyweight of 151
I am starting this because I have not been making it to the gym consistently(missed 1.5 weeks for a variety of reasons, none of them good) enough and need something to help hold myself accountable. However, I have been destroying weight I couldnt move in the first semester (namely in squats and OH press)
With that said:
7/1
took it light today as I have missed some time, hope to be back in the swing of it on friday
squat 3x5:175
oh press 3x5:85
dl:135x5
weighted chins:1x6
weighted dips:1x12
abs:2 sets of dragon flags AMAP:got a set of 6 and then of 5. These things are killer, this was my second workout doing them and I am pretty sure my abs are going to hurt tomorrow.
ate a decent amount today-need to get to the grocery store but living on campus without a car makes that kind of difficult. Hopefully I can soon though as I am out of milk and nearly out of chicken.

pagodas11
07-12-2009, 07:34 PM
computer died for a week so I couldnt update.
7/6:had to get a quick workout in before going to dinner with the parents (went home for a couple days)
squat:180 3x5
bench:140 3x5
pullups:11 across 2 sets
7/8:nice to get back into a full workout
squat 185 3x5
oh press 90 3x5
dl: 150 1x5
chins: 14 w/ 15 pounds over 2 sets
dips:22 ** **
didnt get a workout in over the weekend as I was working in the gym the entire shifts sat and sun. looking forward to tomorrow

pagodas11
07-13-2009, 09:30 PM
7/13"
squat 190 3x5
bench 145x5
pullups:13 across 2
weighted planks for abs

today felt good, looking to finish off this week strong and finally hit 200x3x5 on the squats. Should be a nice feeling.

pagodas11
07-15-2009, 07:12 PM
7/15:today was bad
squat:attempted 195x3x5, first sent went great. second set, third rep I lost focus for a second for whatever reason and nearly dropped the weight. had to take a step to save myself. performed another rep then racked it and got very mad at myself. did a set of 10 with 135 focusing on form so it doesnt happen again on friday.
just went through the motions with the rest of the workout cause i was so upset. not a good day

pagodas11
07-21-2009, 08:14 AM
7/17:decided to video squat form to figure out what was going wrong so took it easy this workout.
7/20:worked on squat form with 5x5 165, going to do another workout working on it and go from there. rest of the workout went well, with increases across the board

pagodas11
07-21-2009, 07:29 PM
have gotten pretty interested in rock climbing, I am using that to finish off my workouts instead of the pullups and chinups/dips, and am also going on my days off. It may slow progress a little, but I am enjoying it alot.

pagodas11
07-29-2009, 09:59 PM
7/22:another day with increases everywhere
another weekend that involved me opening and closing our gym throughout the weekend, so couldnt work out until
7/27: squats at 175, bench at 150, deadlift at 185, all of it felt good
7/28-29:spent on average 2 hours a day rock climbing, but didnt get a lift in. Im ok with it though because I have a feeling im going to be able to do alot more pullups when I get back to em. Also im confidant that this is doing wonders for grip strength and flexibility(which is something else I need to work on)