PDA

View Full Version : alcohol and bodybuilding

timrev
04-19-2002, 04:58 PM
I usually like to drink once a week with friends on the weekend and understand that alcohol has a negeative effect on bodybuilding. Is there a frame of time that I should wait before consuming any alcohol such as a day to 2 after my last lifting day?

Joe Black
04-20-2002, 04:34 AM
well obviously the firther away you can get it is gonna be best,.

I think you have to find the right mix/moderation.

I have been to both extremes.

When i drank a lot my workouts were always poor due to the fact i felt tired, had no energy etc.

When I totally did not drink i felt like I was becoming a social outcast. I think worrying and being annoyed about not being able to socially have a few drinks out with my mates probably caused more muscle loss than the alcohol!!

so go out now and again, have a good time but do it in moderation!

YatesNightBlade
04-20-2002, 05:26 AM
I am the perfect man for this question ..... well maybe second most perfect after powerman. lol

When you get in after a hard night partying ..... drink plenty of fluids. I personally drink around 2 pints of milk before I hit the sack. I also make sure I take in plenty of vits and mins as alcohol robs the body of these. Take a drink to bed too. The key here is to stay hydrated. I also take a protein bar out with me in my pocket. ;)

syntekz
04-20-2002, 06:15 AM
Yates, you think the milk helps rid you of hangovers?

Reinier
04-20-2002, 07:03 AM
good hydration should keep away hangovers. thats why being on creatine you will hardly get any.

HumanV
04-20-2002, 08:27 AM
There are no cures for hang-overs but time. Alcohol in moderation is fine....partying...been there..done that big time. Training went down the tubes. You gotta choose.

syntekz
04-20-2002, 08:32 AM
Ya, I seem to get hangovers no matter how much water I drink the night before, after, or during.

Shocker
04-20-2002, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by HumanV
There are no cures for hang-overs but time. Alcohol in moderation is fine....partying...been there..done that big time. Training went down the tubes. You gotta choose.
My cure for hangover is prevention and by this I dont mean give up drinking.

Other than the above mentioned comments about hydration, I recommend a heap of food, preferrably meat before you go to sleep, then wake up and eat a fkuc load again. If you are still in trouble - go hair of the dog and start drinking again, this is hilarious! I always get really comical, but seriously it will get you though to the next night where you can have a proper sleep.

Mark
04-20-2002, 11:00 AM
Drinking much alcolhol can reduce your testosterone levels as well as make you fat. I think that probably answers the question.

CanadianLaxStar
04-20-2002, 11:39 AM
I know Beer is fattening, but what about hard liqour, would it be better to drink hard bar then beer
Cause I like to drink and party about 3-4 nights a week, but I find I always have energy for working otu the day after drinking, it also gets rid of hangovers

Mark
04-20-2002, 04:00 PM
If you are serious about getting into shape you should pretty much keep away from all booze.

ChrisH
04-21-2002, 05:19 AM
Would I be correct in saying that drinking alcohol would weaken the liver, which would hinder the digestion of fats? The liver produces enzymes to break down fat to fatty acids and glycerol...I think, so if the liver cannot produce these as effectively, the fat won't be managed properly? Hence, are "beer bellies" caused by the fat not being distrubuted to the rest of the body and pooling around the stomach?

Mark
04-21-2002, 05:30 AM
The alcohol won't help your liver any. The body burns alcohol in preference to fat so if you want to lose fat it won't happen.

The high level of calories in beer lead to a surplus which is stored as bodyfat.

Beer bellies are partly caused by the stomach stretching due to the large amount of beer being poured into them as well as the bodyfat being stored.

Reduction in testosterone caused by alcohol also slows your body's ability to burn fat.

Fat storage is genetically determined, men store more fat on their stomachs and women store more fat on their legs to help give a lower centre of gravity.

syntekz
04-21-2002, 06:12 AM
A serving of hard liquor has the same amount of calories as a serving of beer doesn't it?

Budiak
04-21-2002, 07:25 AM
Yes, because its the actual alcohol content that holds the calories, which is why light beer, that normally has less alcohol, has fewer calories.

But hey, its cool, I'm such a lightweight that I get absolutely piss face- blitzoid on about 3 coors lights, 5 and its a one man show.

But hey, I drink maybe once a month, and if I do, I run with it. I never touch the stuff otherwise, because the way it works with me is it just makes me bloated and stuff. The next day when I work out, I sweat all of the water out and I look like a god again.

Life is good. Or something.

YatesNightBlade
04-21-2002, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by syntekz
Yates, you think the milk helps rid you of hangovers?

yes, but not just becasue it's MILK !!! ... water would do the same. It feeds my body too.

Hungry4knowledg
04-21-2002, 09:36 AM
Hi.

I'm new here, and I'm no expert in nutrition, but when I used to drink a lot, I found that sobering up a little before sleep helped to stave off hangovers. If I fell asleep while I was still shitfaced, I'd wake up feeling like crap. That worked for me, and I wasn't smart enough to drink any other fluids. Those days are long gone though.