PDA

View Full Version : Help W/Deadlifts

Brian999
07-03-2009, 01:14 AM
I noticed this after a few training sessions. Yesterday I had to deadlift next to the mirror because there was no space anywhere else. I looked in the mirror when I was going up and noticed that when I first start out my hips are dropped then when I pull my ass goes in the air, and its kind of like Im doing a SLDL. I noticed this on heavy sets though, and out of 5 sets 3 of them where like that. I reset myself after each rep. Any tips on how I can keep my hips dropped? I try to squeeze the bar off the floor, and that helps but only sometimes for me. I think this is why my back sometimes hurts afterwards:redface:. Thanks in advance everybody!

CleverName
07-03-2009, 05:17 AM
Hmm, sit back more perhaps.

barbell01
07-03-2009, 07:58 AM
lift your toes

sobrinoc
07-03-2009, 08:22 AM
From what you describe I can think of two scenarios. One is a technique issue at which point I have no real advice because I am definitely no expert on the subject.

The other scenario is one I encountered and saw A LOT at my first meet in May. Namely that you lack power in budging the weight from the floor. So while your hips and butt move, the weight doesn't move with it and it ends up being an SLDL. I started doing olympic squats in chuck taylors and saw the issue resolved. If it was due to me strengthening a weakness or the exercise correcting an issue as far as technique I can't say, but olympic squats in chucks helped me out. (Credit where credit is due, I got the idea from The Book of Methods).

Last but not least, Greg Panora said on a forum that you should squeeze your glutes right before you deadlift, and it helped some people out at the forum so considering he can deadlift 8,000,000 pounds more than me...

Hope this might give you some ideas.

Brian999
07-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Hmm, sit back more perhaps.

I've tried that and it works but is it OK if my back rounds a little? I cant make it not round when I sit back so much.

Brian Hopper
07-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Before you start the pull dont drop your hips so far down. sometimes this can help, but it could be a weakness that needs to be focused on.

barbell01
07-03-2009, 10:53 AM
just say to yourself "chest up" before you begin the pull

Notorious
07-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Before you start the pull dont drop your hips so far down. sometimes this can help, but it could be a weakness that needs to be focused on.

Yeah, you want to lift your hips slightly higher before you pull so that you feel a nice stretch in your hamstrings. Then raise your chest and pull.

MarcusWild
07-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Video would help a lot. I think if you do reps, most people will let their hips start higher each rep. If you do it on the first rep, then video will help us figure out what's going on.

Brian999
07-03-2009, 12:19 PM
OK thanks for the tips guys I'll try some of this when I deadlift on Monday. Im going to try and get a video up sometime next week. I'll have to tell one of my friends to take it for me, he only comes to the gym around once a week, but hopefully I can make hime come on Monday or Friday when I deadlift.

Also before I post a vid, would the fact that Im not using round olympic plates be an issue? I HATE the plates we have at the gym, there the others with the sharp corners so I cant really roll the bar to position myself.

MarcusWild
07-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Those plates suck. It's definitely hard to do reps with them.

Brian999
07-03-2009, 01:13 PM
Those plates suck. It's definitely hard to do reps with them.

Yeah, not sure if thats the problem, my gym membership is ending in 3 months anyways, and Im in the process of making my home gym in my garage. Should be done by the time the memberhsip is over. Im getting little by little, just picking up deals from craigslist.

MarcusWild
07-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Yeah, not sure if thats the problem, my gym membership is ending in 3 months anyways, and Im in the process of making my home gym in my garage. Should be done by the time the memberhsip is over. Im getting little by little, just picking up deals from craigslist.

Thats exactly how I started Wild Iron. 8 months later we just moved to an 840 sq ft commercial space. Good luck with it!

Brian Hopper
07-03-2009, 05:25 PM
Thats exactly how I started Wild Iron. 8 months later we just moved to an 840 sq ft commercial space. Good luck with it!

That's what I need to do. I wish I was in the position to be able to build my own home gym.