PDA

View Full Version : Squat form Check

squathard23
07-03-2009, 02:24 AM
on week 5 of the Vertical jump Bible, trying to perfect my squat, please critique

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znatYC4PYIk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXX_VO7N7yI

tennisrox4
07-03-2009, 05:23 AM
looks pretty good to me.

squathard23
07-03-2009, 11:47 AM
anyone else?

slashkills
07-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Your bending at your knees before your hips. You should be bending at the hips first. Depth looks good though. You have a bit of a "butt wink". Stretch out your hamstrings, glutes, and low back more and it should go away.

Mad Max
07-03-2009, 01:33 PM
Not bad op, you're nearly there.

Your bending at your knees before your hips. You should be bending at the hips first.

I agree with this. There are a variety of different ways to squat, but if you are squatting in flat soled chucks, then you should probably concentrate on sitting back more and recruiting your hams and glutes more. Like slash side initiate the movement with your hips.

You do seem to go very low, but the depth of your hip crease relative to your knees isn't that great for such a low depth-basically at such a depth I would expect to see your hip crease lower than your knees.

Keep your chest up and full of air, and your shoulders back.

One thing I will definitely always advocate is glute activation. There's a good article on here at the moment about glutes and glute activation. One thing that has definitely helped me in deads and squats is glute squeezes right before a set. Sounds ridiculous, but before a set, squeeze your glutes as hard as you possibly can (gripping the bar as you do this can help), for about 5-10 seconds, seriously it helps. Glute bridges at the beginning of a workout are good also. Basically this wakes up your glutes and gets them working properly during the set.

Concentrate on stretching your quads, calves and hip flexor muscles in particular. I'm sure you know some perfectly decent stretches for your quads and calves, but for your hip flexors, perform bodyweight lunges (20 reps or so) after which hold the bottom position for each leg for a stretch.

Hope all that makes sense, ask me any more questions if you want.

squathard23
07-03-2009, 03:00 PM
ok thanks for the advie, i will get a video next week and will post it