PDA

View Full Version : Squat Video

Andre518
07-03-2009, 11:15 AM
Ok I been working on my squat trying to get lower and better form. Today was my deload squat day for my second wave of 5/3/1 so I did two videos to check my form. I did one regular squat video and one of box squats on a bench. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I had my partner video tape them I had him hold the camera sideways thinking it would get a better full view but it made me look like I was squatting off the left hand side of the video. Other than that I any critiques would be great. It's not a lot of weight only 225 and 155 because I suck at squatting and it was a deload. I also put up my last video to compare my progress.

Old squat video

NYHLQPILyX0

Deload 225 Squat

VP3hQ2bb1Bc

Box Squat(on bench) 155

hUTcVg7H740

JSully
07-03-2009, 11:30 AM
way too high on vid #1, depth looked ok on vid#2, and sit farther back on the box when doing box squats..

joey54
07-03-2009, 11:35 AM
I thought even the second video was a bit high, but I might be a depth Nazi. Definitely should be focusing on depth right now and not worrying about the weight. Those 365 reps weren't even close, but I think you knew that already.

Andre518
07-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Yeah I knew the 1st video was way off. That video is about 2months ago. I know Im wearing the same clothes in them but that just happened by chance. the second two videos are from today. Would the depth on video two be good for a meet? I have a meet in Nov and need to get my squat down.

Jorge Sanchez
07-03-2009, 11:53 AM
I thought even the second video was a bit high, but I might be a depth Nazi. Definitely should be focusing on depth right now and not worrying about the weight. Those 365 reps weren't even close, but I think you knew that already.

:withstupi:

It's tough to tell on the second video because it's shot sideways, but it looks like it might be a tad high as well. Considering it's so light for you there really shouldn't be any question about depth.

Spread the floor with your feet and make sure to really push your knees out to the side.

Sidior
07-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Where are you competing? Depth varies by fed.

Andre518
07-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Where are you competing? Depth varies by fed.

OLD SCHOOL IRON WARS - Sunday November 8, 2009 - YMCA - Burlington, VT - Full Powerlifting plus all single lifts - RAW and Equipped

But not sure what fed to register in either

100% RAW
AAPF
AAU

But not too sure on witch one would be best to choose. This will be my 1st meet.

geoffsherman
07-03-2009, 01:21 PM
You also have a suicide grip on the first video. You should take a regular grip for stability and to maintain tightness....

evilxxx
07-03-2009, 02:41 PM
The depth on the second one looks fine to me, looking at sides of the rack by your leg, looks like you go down to parallel.(maybe not good for some usapl judges)but looks fine. Wouldn't hurt to go lower with lighter weights.Thats what i do, i go down to where i cant go down any further unless i sit back on the floor,hehe, then when i get to mid 4's i stop a bit bellow ,over 5 i stop at parallel.

Ryan Bracewell
07-03-2009, 06:14 PM
Since you are having trouble with depth you should try to find something else as your box. Benches are typically much higher than a parellel squat which will throw off your perception of when to start coming back up. If your gym has rubber plates, you could stack them up to a level that is parellel. Even if you are not doing box squats you can decent slowly until you reach the plates then go up.

Chris Rodgers
07-03-2009, 06:21 PM

Geez man you are more of a depth nazi than I am, lol. Depth on the second vid looks fine, although it hurts to watch it sideways. If you can hit that spot with your top sets you should be good to go.

You also have a suicide grip on the first video. You should take a regular grip for stability and to maintain tightness....

Why is this? I always squat with my thumb up on top of the bar. I have squatted 700 this way and held upwards of 800 lbs on my back with no problem. I actually prefer it because it pulls the elbows in under the bar tighter.

geoffsherman
07-04-2009, 07:36 AM
Why is this? I always squat with my thumb up on top of the bar. I have squatted 700 this way and held upwards of 800 lbs on my back with no problem. I actually prefer it because it pulls the elbows in under the bar tighter.

When I first started squatting, I did the suicide grip. However, when I started to work out with powerlifters they taught me to try and squeeze the bar when I squat to maintain tightness. I found that by squeezing the bar, you almost have to keep your elbows more underneath than behind.

Cricket_Fire
07-04-2009, 09:12 AM
I'd be interested in hearing more about the thumbless grip aswell - I find I can get my elbows under the bar, and it hurts my wrists/shoulders a lot less with a thumbless grip.

BrockO'Bummer
07-06-2009, 01:45 AM
video 1: High

video 2: Still high

video 3: Still high. What are you trying to accomplish here?

Please forgive my blunt criticism.