PDA

View Full Version : Snatch training techniques

gymbo
07-03-2009, 11:39 AM
I am looking for some guidance on building up my snatch. Lockout above the head and wrists have always been a weak point.

Anyone have training techniques or things to help build up a monster snatch?

Currently I train snatch squat, hang, power, pull, and snatch.

Jorge Sanchez
07-03-2009, 11:49 AM
You shouldn't be pressing the weight above your head with a snatch, you should simply be catching it with your arms at full extension. If you arms are bent at any point while you're supporting the weight overhead it's a bad lift.

Do you have trouble keeping your arms locked once you catch the bar, or do you have problems getting it into the catch position? If it is the latter, you might want to work on your speed getting under the bar. If it's the former, focus on pulling the bar apart and raising your elbows to your ears in the catch position. Some shoulder and tricep work would help as well. Jerks (not split) and drop snatches might be some good exercises to help.

gymbo
07-04-2009, 10:32 AM
What is a drop snatch?

For the position of the bar in relation to the wrists where should the bar sit? Possitioned back so the bar is behind the plain of the forearm, bar inline with back of hand slightly bent back, or a straight line down the forearm through the back of hand?

CleverName
07-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Drop snatch is having the bar on your back, your hands in a snatch grip. Umm, I keep the bar in line with my ulna. Then you heave and drop under the bar without actually pushing up so you land in a caught snatch.

Watch this video. It's long, but it will teach you a lot, though it's just an introductory, it shows some stuff on the snatch:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6529481301858251744

KarlMarx
07-05-2009, 01:37 PM
It helped me alot to get under the bar grab the bar in a snatch grip, stand up, and then bend my legs just a _hair_--almost locked out. Then, I snatch the weight overhead. Since you have almost no leg or back movement you have to lift it almost entirely by getting under it FAST. Of course the weight must be alot lighter.

Jorge Sanchez
07-06-2009, 09:29 AM
What is a drop snatch?

For the position of the bar in relation to the wrists where should the bar sit? Possitioned back so the bar is behind the plain of the forearm, bar inline with back of hand slightly bent back, or a straight line down the forearm through the back of hand?

Your wrist and forearm should be in as straight a line as possible. Your wrist is in a very vulnerable position when it is bent and you won't be able to lift heavy weights if it's not in it's strongest position (straight).