PDA

View Full Version : pull-throughs...

Virtron
07-04-2009, 09:27 AM
So i was reading louie's book the other day and I decided to go back to doing pull-throughs as an extra workout.

I was surprised at the result. So, i'm here to ask the following question. When I do the squat version, I don't feel so much as a tickle in my glutes or hamstrings, but my lower back starts to burn like crazy. Does that mean that my lower back isn't strong enough to bare it? or am I doing something wrong? I really need a hamstring builder besides the SLDL and the romanian deadlift. I don't have access to a reverse hyper.

Thanks guys,

Tim

ELmx479
07-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Good Mornings work the best for me. The main thing with GM's, RDL's, and Pull Throughs is not using too much weight. Focus on the movement and not the weight. Higher reps work better for those movements also (8-12).

Lones Green
07-04-2009, 10:08 AM
You may be leaning too much, doing a GM out of the hole type deal

You may not be sitting back enough either, its hard to tell without video

For hamstrings try:

Close stance, arched back goodmornings...you don't have to use much weight on these. Other stances will also work the hamstrings, but I find my hamstrings dead the next day after using the close stance

glute ham raises

leg curls, all types

Box squats

Don't neglect lower back and hip/glute work either. Many exercises, such as the pull through, hit all of the muscle groups mentioned above

jbrin0tk
07-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Good post, Lones. OP, one thing I have found to destroy my hamstrings is using a sled. Take the handle of the sled, hold onto it with both hands behind your knees, and walk with it taking very small steps (you're kind of forced to take small steps). You will be very bent over, and it is very awkward, especially at first, but this absolutely blows my hamstrings up. You don't even have to use much weight (I've only been using 2 plates). Of course I don't know if you have access to a sled or not, but I just thought I'd throw this idea out in addition to Lones' idea. Hope it helps, man.

Virtron
07-04-2009, 12:17 PM
i don't have access to a sled nor will I have any place to do that if I did have access.

I love good mornings and SLDL and other such things... I definitely feel it in my hams after them. Just wanted that extra boost.

Thanks for the help. I'll try those close stance good mornings for sure though.

Lones Green
07-04-2009, 12:18 PM
i don't have access to a sled nor will I have any place to do that if I did have access.

I love good mornings and SLDL and other such things... I definitely feel it in my hams after them. Just wanted that extra boost.

Those should work fine for you.

KarlMarx
07-04-2009, 01:18 PM

Tie a rope from your car onto an old power belt. Put the power belt on. Run, walk, jog but prepare to hurt.

PatheticJoe
07-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Tie a rope from your car onto an old power belt. Put the power belt on. Run, walk, jog but prepare to hurt.

And maybe a person in the car also to stop it?????

TXslapshot
07-04-2009, 06:59 PM
And maybe a person in the car also to stop it?????

Noooo you run as fast as you can and let the momentum of the car drag you into traffic :thumbup:. Kidding, I always liked pulling my car then having to use my last burst of energy to hop in the car and tap the brakes. :evillaugh:

Virtron
07-05-2009, 07:55 AM
Umm... wow to the car thing. Thats genius. I wonder how my dad will feel about this. So you throw into neutral and just pull? I don't have license yet. (I live in brooklyn, ny.)

SELK
07-05-2009, 11:59 AM
My low back is stronger then my hips/glutes so when I do pullthroughs i try to really squeeze my glutes on every rep, it makes it much harder for me.

I dont do good mornings other then for recovery or very far out (16+ weeks) from a meet trying to build up my low back. They just don't carryover strength wise like they do for some people for me it seems.

Brian C
07-05-2009, 12:52 PM
I don't have license yet. (I live in brooklyn, ny.)

Umm yeah id nix this idea...cool though

Virtron
07-05-2009, 01:27 PM
Umm yeah id nix this idea...cool though

actually, i got a friend to do it. hehe. i'll try this this as soon as I can... i'll let everyone know in a thread or something.

Clifford Gillmore
07-05-2009, 02:25 PM
I like high rep band pull throughs as an extra workout, followed by band GM's. The whole posterior chain gets pretty inflated, so I do some band traction stuff afterwards!

Virtron
07-05-2009, 09:09 PM
I like high rep band pull throughs as an extra workout, followed by band GM's. The whole posterior chain gets pretty inflated, so I do some band traction stuff afterwards!

what do you mean by band traction?

Clifford Gillmore
07-06-2009, 03:31 AM
what do you mean by band traction?

lFQwpjnThYs

KarlMarx
07-06-2009, 08:00 AM
There is a big church around the corner from me. I usually just put my car out in the parking lot and push it. 10 sets of 40 yard pushes, followed by 5 X 40 yards dash unweighted and some jogging to cool down. It would be better to pull it, but I'd want somebody to hit the brakes (jumping in it while tied to it seems bad).