PDA

View Full Version : Better video of my bench

BigTallOx
07-04-2009, 03:41 PM
I got a new camera that takes HD video. Here's a video of me benching 405 with 3 boards. ( I'm recovering from a sinus cold, my energy is just starting to feel close to normal. ) Any suggestions will be appreciated. I really want to bench 405 at a meet coming up in about 4 weeks.

38OJ9zy9bHY

Painzer
07-04-2009, 03:50 PM
You travel as far on your three board press as I do on a full bench press... Very nice lift. You are a big fella!

BigTallOx
07-04-2009, 03:59 PM
You travel as far on your three board press as I do on a full bench press...

Yeah, its why benching is hard for me, I've got really long arms. I'm still getting stronger though, so I'm happy.

Very nice lift. You are a big fella!

Thanks.

vdizenzo
07-04-2009, 06:15 PM
You make your rom much further by not taking advantage of tucking your shoulders and working an arch. I can tell you hips and glutes are not tight and you are definitely not firing through your legs. The good news is that you are making strength gains and still have many techniques you can take advantage of.

DrDudley-Robey
07-04-2009, 06:41 PM
Try to use way more arch, tuck the sholders and leg drive. Also tuck your elbows on the way down and bring the bar down faster. You are holding the bar for so long that by the time you start up with it you are already tired. Those look like 12inch wrist wraps - try some 36in ones they hold you alot tighter and make your grip better on the heavy lifts. Great work, keep training hard and all of your goals will come true!!

Lones Green
07-04-2009, 06:45 PM
Yeah, since you have long arms you should be taking advantage of every technique that exists that will lessen your ROM.

BigTallOx
07-04-2009, 06:47 PM
You make your rom much further by not taking advantage of tucking your shoulders and working an arch. I can tell you hips and glutes are not tight and you are definitely not firing through your legs.

I haven't been working on arching more, not at all. What do you suggest is the best way of working on it? I feel like my long legs prevent me from arching because I can't turn my hips like some people can. I wish I could raise the entire bench by a foot or so, I bet I could bench a lot more.

My glutes are tighter than they used to be. I'm not arguing with you, I agree with you they aren't tight enough, but at least with that I feel like I know what I need to do, but it often get overlooked with everything else I need to do.

The good news is that you are making strength gains and still have many techniques you can take advantage of.

Taking advantage of technique, at least for me being relatively new to powerlifting, has been *MUCH* harder than making gains in just pure strength. I'm sure I'm getting close to that not working for me anymore though. Lately I've been really focusing on technique, and I'm getting better, but I know I have a long way go to. Thanks for your advice.

BigTallOx
07-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Yeah, since you have long arms you should be taking advantage of every technique that exists that will lessen your ROM.

Thanks for your reply, but specifically stating WHAT I can do to lessen my ROM will be helpful. I have my ideas, but I'm not sure they're the same as what you're thinking.

Lones Green
07-04-2009, 07:01 PM
Arch. You aren't arching at all. You can try PVC pipe or half a foam roller, or whatever you need to under your back. Work on your flexibility, that will help as well.

Tuck your elbows. You aren't doing that either.

Pull your shoulder blades together.

You are just laying down on the bench. Take time to setup.

BigTallOx
07-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Try to use way more arch, tuck the sholders and leg drive. Also tuck your elbows on the way down and bring the bar down faster. You are holding the bar for so long that by the time you start up with it you are already tired.

When I try to bring the bar down faster, it results in me not being able to press it. I know it makes no sense, but for some reason that's how it is for me.

those look like 12inch wrist wraps - try some 36in ones they hold you alot tighter and make your grip better on the heavy lifts.

They are 36" wrist wraps. I wasn't happy with how the right one felt before this lift, and partially re-wrapped and still wasn't happy and just went with it. I don't think I'm really "using" my wrist wraps all that much. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I can pretty much lift the same with or without them. Maybe it just means I'm not yet benching enough to stress my wrists or grip.

Great work, keep training hard and all of your goals will come true!!

Thank you. And I you're right, I'm lifting way more than I thought I would be able to a year ago.

BigTallOx
07-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Arch. You aren't arching at all. You can try PVC pipe or half a foam roller, or whatever you need to under your back. Work on your flexibility, that will help as well.

Tuck your elbows. You aren't doing that either.

Pull your shoulder blades together.

You are just laying down on the bench. Take time to setup.

Thanks, I'll work on all of those.

BigTallOx
07-04-2009, 07:09 PM
I really appreciate all the responses. Thanks for the advice, I'm going to work on all of the suggestions. I'm really happy with my benching progress since I started reading this board and I know with the advice here I'll eventually get to where I want to be.

Xellarz
07-05-2009, 01:31 AM
These guys hit basically every point I was gonna make. My suggestion is to toss up another video of your benching next week - it'll help us help you...and it'll keep you honest and make you try to take these suggestions.

Ryano
07-05-2009, 05:15 AM
Are you taking as wide a grip as possible? Put your index finger to the outside edge of the rings. If you are having trouble with leg drive, spread your feet out wider and drive off your heels. Just make sure your legs are wide enough that your butt doesn't come up. Watch the video of Kennelly hitting 405x20 in Road to the Arnold. He benches flat footed and gets great leg drive.

BigTallOx
07-05-2009, 08:44 AM
My suggestion is to toss up another video of your benching next week - it'll help us help you...and it'll keep you honest and make you try to take these suggestions.

I'll do that. I video all my workouts anymore, it's been really helpful and even though I don't post many here, you're right it keeps me honest.

vdizenzo
07-05-2009, 08:48 AM
Yeah, I bench flat footed and get a lot of drive also. You have to lift your big toe up in your shoe and drive through your heel like when you squat.

Brian C
07-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Definately spread your legs wider and out. Practice laying on the bench with just a bar and either a foam roller, 2-4" pvc, or a small football under you to get that stretch. Find a width for your legs where you can drive the heels with your butt on the bench and be able to pinch your shoulders and maintain a arch. Getting that ROM down will work wonders.

BigTallOx
07-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Definately spread your legs wider and out.

It's weird, I've been able to slowly go a little wider with my stance squatting and pulling, but there's something about being on a bench that blocks my hips from letting my legs go wide. I've been working on hip flexibility but for benching it just hasn't changed. I'm sure I'm not the only old guy here with tight hips, has anybody else had this problem and have any advice on how to overcome it?

robchris
07-05-2009, 04:15 PM
Ox,

Check out mastermonster vid on youtube (aka Buddy McKee). He posted it on this forum about 2-weeks ago also... It really helped w/ my set-up and arch.

Like you I'm a tall guy@ (6' 2") Albeit not as tall as you! However, any decrease in stroke/ ROM will add significant LBS. to your bench... I'm already seeing the benefits after only working on my arch the last 2-weeks.

Good luck at the meet bro!

fulldaddy
07-05-2009, 08:19 PM
BTO,

I can't really add anything new here other than best of luck as you wrap up your meet prep. You'll be hitting it soon enough. Work on that arch.

BigTallOx
07-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Ox,

Check out mastermonster vid on youtube (aka Buddy McKee). He posted it on this forum about 2-weeks ago also... It really helped w/ my set-up and arch.

Thanks, I just watched it. I'll start working on it.

Good luck at the meet bro!

BTO,
best of luck as you wrap up your meet prep.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it. Meets are great motivation.