PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Basics

SilkyJ
07-04-2009, 05:00 PM
I have a few questions about the "cutting" process. From what I gather, you want to gradually reduce the amount of calories you take in - could I get some more specifics on this?

And as far as supplementation goes, obviously you drop the weight gainer - but do you reduce the amount of protein you take in? What about Creatine/Results? And ETS?

Finally, how long do cutting sessions generally last? And are you always either cutting or trying to gain? or is there some third category in which you are just maintaining?

Sorry for the ignorance and thanks for the help

tom183
07-04-2009, 11:46 PM
From what I gather, you want to gradually reduce the amount of calories you take in - could I get some more specifics on this?

You find your maintenance calories, subtract 10-20% and eat that much. When that stops working, drop more.

but do you reduce the amount of protein you take in?

Depends how much you were taking in before. It is generally advised not to drop below 1g of protein per pound of LBM.

Finally, how long do cutting sessions generally last? And are you always either cutting or trying to gain? or is there some third category in which you are just maintaining?

Maintaining is most certainly a category. There is no set time period for a cut.

arctic
07-05-2009, 01:20 PM
is it normal to feel hungry and weak when cutting? or are those signs that you're cutting too many cals?

Doobs
07-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Most bodybuilders are on steroids while cutting, that's the only reason why they look shredded when they're 'finished.' For us normalites, we'll never achieve that level without injection. I've figured that out now.

I've been on an eternal cut for literally years, trying to achieve a single digit bodyfat percentage. Last time I checked, my bf was about 27%. That was about 4 or so months ago. A few days ago, I hit 193lbs, and I still look relatively the ****ing same as I did 4 months ago, except my pants are looser. I've been eating only natural, organic foods, and steer clear away from anything that I think and what I've researched on that would help in aiding fat retainment, i.e. grains, wheat, gluten, high fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated oils, white flour or any flour, etc.... Yet I still look the ****ing same. I do not have cheat days. Do not eat fast food. The only sugar I get is from organic fruit. I watch my calories, protein, fat, and carb intake.

This is how I know for sure that most BBers who are cutting are using roids. Either that, or some other trick supplements like the ephedrine and caffeine stack. I think the system is set up against people so that they can't achieve their goals. Certain insecure people don't want other people out there looking as good as them, and they want you to forever struggle so that you'll keep buying their products.

So because you've gotten poor results, everyone else is on steroids? Maybe you should just work harder.

Jayfive
07-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Most bodybuilders are on steroids while cutting, that's the only reason why they look shredded when they're 'finished.' For us normalites, we'll never achieve that level without injection. I've figured that out now.

I've been on an eternal cut for literally years, trying to achieve a single digit bodyfat percentage. Last time I checked, my bf was about 27%. That was about 4 or so months ago. A few days ago, I hit 193lbs, and I still look relatively the ****ing same as I did 4 months ago, except my pants are looser. I've been eating only natural, organic foods, and steer clear away from anything that I think and what I've researched on that would help in aiding fat retainment, i.e. grains, wheat, gluten, high fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated oils, white flour or any flour, etc.... Yet I still look the ****ing same. I do not have cheat days. Do not eat fast food. The only sugar I get is from organic fruit. I watch my calories, protein, fat, and carb intake.

This is how I know for sure that most BBers who are cutting are using roids. Either that, or some other trick supplements like the ephedrine and caffeine stack. I think the system is set up against people so that they can't achieve their goals. Certain insecure people don't want other people out there looking as good as them, and they want you to forever struggle so that you'll keep buying their products.

I think you're probably doing something wrong if you aren't getting any results. Maybe you should have your thyroid checked or something, especially if you've been "cutting" for years (if that means intense dieting). Prolonged periods of intense dieting can really mess your system up and cause you a lot of trouble down the line.

Plus, that's kind of a dick statement to make, saying that BBers that look shredded like that are using roids.

I have a few questions about the "cutting" process. From what I gather, you want to gradually reduce the amount of calories you take in - could I get some more specifics on this?

And as far as supplementation goes, obviously you drop the weight gainer - but do you reduce the amount of protein you take in? What about Creatine/Results? And ETS?

Sorry for the ignorance and thanks for the help

Judging strictly from personal experience; Mostly I cut carbs by a large amount and reduce some cals and stepped up the cardio (or HIIT preferably). Try not to reduce the protein too much as that could affect your muscle gains but lower the carbs (I lowered carbs and upped fats). I don't know if you want to keep the creatine on or not as it can promote water retention/bloating I wouldn't cut for too long as it begins to wear on you and mess with your head. And yes, there is maintaining but I can't ever remember ever seeing someone say "I'm perfectly happy with my strength and body comp, so I think I'll just maintain".

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-06-2009, 02:32 PM

You need to fix whatever the heck you're doing because it's obviously not working.

Unreal
07-06-2009, 04:06 PM
That is some of the funniest stuff I've read. There are plenty of natural people who are really lean. It just takes dedication beyond what most people have.

SilkyJ
07-07-2009, 07:44 AM
Judging strictly from personal experience; Mostly I cut carbs by a large amount and reduce some cals and stepped up the cardio (or HIIT preferably). Try not to reduce the protein too much as that could affect your muscle gains but lower the carbs (I lowered carbs and upped fats).

Im curious b/c it seems counterintuitive to me - why up the fat? And how much do you reduce carbs in terms of %age?

And what are some of your favorite meals that fit this cycle?

Oh yea, one more: Do you do HIIT/cardio just on your non-lifting days? Or do you do it on both?

Optimum08
07-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Eating fat does NOT equal gaining fat. This is one of the biggest myths out there today. Losing weight, generally, is simply the act of creating a caloric deficit (i.e. eating less than you burn)

You've got to experiment with yourself. Some people (Endomorphs) respond very well to cutting cals through the cutting of carbs. Some do better by keeping carbs at a decent level but finding other ways to cut cals. It is agreed that you must keep protein intake at at least 1g. protein/lb. of bodyweight otherwise burn more than you ingest and you will lose weight.

Optimum08
07-07-2009, 02:52 PM

Wall of Shame HOF Nominee.

Either that, or some other trick supplements like the ephedrine and caffeine stack.

Trick supplement? Its not like if you use an EC stack and are eating Burger King for every meal you will magically get cut.

Read a book or something. Jesus H Christ.

Gonzo
07-07-2009, 11:02 PM
Jayfive when you say:
"Prolonged periods of intense dieting can really mess your system up and cause you a lot of trouble down the line"

how long is too long when it comes to intense dieting?
what is considered intense?
can you expand on what "mess your system up" consists of?

thanks

Jayfive
07-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Im curious b/c it seems counterintuitive to me - why up the fat? And how much do you reduce carbs in terms of %age?

And what are some of your favorite meals that fit this cycle?

Oh yea, one more: Do you do HIIT/cardio just on your non-lifting days? Or do you do it on both?

First, I just want to ask why you think this would be counter productive? Are you still holding to the outdated philosophy that all fats are the devil? Second, lowering carbs is usually a much more efficient way to cut body fat. An absence of carbs forces the body to look for other methods of energy (ie Fat). To prevent the body from going directly to protein (or muscle) for energy, a higher amount of fats would be needed than someone on a balanced diet (balanced CHO, Pro, and Fat macros). This also ensures that you are getting the proper calories easier (versus eating 2 lbs of lean meat per meal to get the necessary cals if you were to go low carb and low fat). Theres another big diet out there that I don't really want to get into, but it's called the Ketogenic diet. Basically, it operates entirely without carbs and instead you eat anywhere between 55 and 80 % of your daily cals from fats.

(Please take this next part with a grain of salt as I have seen several studies and for every 2 that show it true, one shows it either false or the opposite)
Also, and this one is a tad shady because studies haven't completely proven it nor disproven it, higher amounts of dietary fat may increase testosterone production. Without getting scientific and getting in hormonal response etc etc, basically it may help produce higher T levels for binding to muscles.

Jayfive when you say:
"Prolonged periods of intense dieting can really mess your system up and cause you a lot of trouble down the line"

how long is too long when it comes to intense dieting?
what is considered intense?
can you expand on what "mess your system up" consists of?

thanks

This was based strictly on personal experience as two of my friends have had issues associated with dieting. Both apparently messed up the endocrine system by dieting intensely over a long period of time, one permanently so that he has to take hormones for the rest of his life. Basically, they both ended up with ridiculously low test levels, but one recovered eventually after some therapy.