PDA

View Full Version : Olympic lifts

NordicMan
07-04-2009, 05:58 PM
I am curious about the Olympic lifts. The only thing I have done is power cleans and jerks, and that with bodyweight. It used to be that you could see Olympic lifting in the Olympics, but they don't do that any more, or else the media does not think it is worth covering hardly. I don't know of any lifting that happens around here, I mean Olympic lifting.

So I am wondering about books and dvds that may be of instructive use. I would just use a bare bar to get used to the movements, and frankly, I hope to find a meet somewhere to travel to and see, if I can work it into my schedule.

I see that a Greg Everett has a book, although it gets critique, and there is a big book by one Arthur Drechsler.

Thoughts?

NordicMan
07-04-2009, 07:08 PM
While looking around, I found something called the Tommy Kono project, which is being conducted by 'Ironmaven'. This has video of the Olympic lifts that runs at normal speed, and also slowed down speed, to better let you see.

So it looks like two dvds are available for Olympic lifting, this Tommy Kono project, which he endorses, and the Everett dvd and book.

Anyone read/watched these? I am thinking I will get the Kono dvd and book.

J.C.
07-05-2009, 07:23 AM
What are you on about? I watched plenty of the weightlifting at last years Olympics.

Also, search search search. There is a great thread that someone [ZenMonkey?] made with lots of links to Oly lifting tutorial vids.

NordicMan
07-05-2009, 08:45 AM
I get the network stations here(ABC NBC, CBS, except that intermittently, I will get some additional stations after the digial renaissance. Out in the countryside, we get more stations sometimes.

In watching the network coverage, I must have entirely missed any Olympic lifting when it was being shown. I saw plenty of swimming and track, but I saw no lifting. Must have missed it all.

If I got more stations, like a sports channel, I probably would get more coverage. That means satellite. I need to get DSL, then if you pay through the nose you can get more cable stations, out here in the countryside.

I have missed seeing much Olympic lifting.

KarlMarx
07-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Jim Schmitz has great videos and a books that gives progressive workouts to build strength and technique in the Olympic lifts at ironmind.com. I did the program and then went and did some lessons with him. I can snatch just about my bodyweight now and clean and press over my bodyweight (the jerk is my limiting factor). So, I'd say it works ...

Olympic Lifting is massively fun! Enjoy!

NordicMan
07-05-2009, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the note, man. You're doing OK if you press your bodyweight. I want to take a good look at these lifts, as I get a bit anxious about the split style, in the way that it used to be done, and I get a little more anxious about the squat snatch style.

Really, I am just trying to build strength and health again, but these lifts have interested me and so I have to find out more about them, and try them, with light weights, anyway.

KarlMarx
07-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the note, man. You're doing OK if you press your bodyweight. I want to take a good look at these lifts, as I get a bit anxious about the split style, in the way that it used to be done, and I get a little more anxious about the squat snatch style.

Really, I am just trying to build strength and health again, but these lifts have interested me and so I have to find out more about them, and try them, with light weights, anyway.

Me too man. My lifting factor in the gym is boredom. So I need to be workign on something. Either 5 more pounds on the bar, better technique, etc. Olympic Lifts keep my mind engaged and keep me interested in training hard. Plus, I really don't think that there is any way to do more quality work in a shorter time than the clean and jerk. You deadlift, front squat, and over head press (sorta...jerk) all in one motion, and explosively at that. The problem is that it is a difficult lift technically, otherwise I would guess that would have to be a go to lift for more people, especially beginners. I remember first trying the lifts with 10s on each side--just be patient A LOT comes with technique.

Brad08
07-06-2009, 07:58 AM
I see that a Greg Everett has a book, although it gets critique, and there is a big book by one Arthur Drechsler.

Thoughts?

Dreschler's book is freaking awesome and the best value for your buck out there. It's something ridiculous cheap like $20-30 and is filled with about 500 pages of quality info. BUY IT.

ALL lifters should own it, not just olympic weightlifters. It covers a lot of topics.

Other things that might help: Tommy Kono's book, back issues of MILO (search IronMind.com), Dan John's free PDF ("Get Up!").

NordicMan
07-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Hey there, that is a low price on that book. I have read that it is filled with information, and so I am planning to buy it, almost have pulled the trigger.

I wanted to SEE good form in these lifts, and to have discussion about such, so I asked about the dvds. However, I learn from older books, which I value a lot, and recent books that have worthwhile and substantive discussion like Rippetoe's Starting STrength and his follow on, as well as the careful approach of Stuart McRobert.

Where do you find this Drechsler book for 20 or 30$?

I have seen it for 45$.

Clifford Gillmore
07-06-2009, 08:08 PM
Hey there, that is a low price on that book. I have read that it is filled with information, and so I am planning to buy it, almost have pulled the trigger.

I wanted to SEE good form in these lifts, and to have discussion about such, so I asked about the dvds. However, I learn from older books, which I value a lot, and recent books that have worthwhile and substantive discussion like Rippetoe's Starting STrength and his follow on, as well as the careful approach of Stuart McRobert.

Where do you find this Drechsler book for 20 or 30$?

I have seen it for 45$.

Cheapest on Amazon.com is over 50$ New, and average of over $80.. Get the 45$ you saw!