PDA

View Full Version : Weary of protein drinks/powders and suggested bodybuilding diets

WillyTheGreat
04-20-2002, 12:42 AM
Hey,

All right. I've been here for a couple days and I've been doing a lot of reading. I read that a lot of you take whey protein, etc. and have MRL but 1. I looked some up and they're either very expensive or 2. I'm skeptical because I don't want to drink those things and just put on weight or get bulky.

I'm also concerned about the medical effects of some of these things. I've always stayed away from pills or synthetic things that are synonymous with bodybuilding because I don't want no side-effects plus I think it takes away from the feeling that I did all myself.

By Sunday (in a couple days), I want to have formulated by diet plan that I'll be on for a while and start my working out routine. To tell you the truth, all this information can be REAL confusing and I don't know what to listen to and what not to. If I just eat 6 healthy meals a day and fill in the amount of protein, carbs and fat I need daily, will it be enough for me to have energy to lift and do my daily workout? I'd like to cut to well...look cut for the summer but I don't have nearly as much muscle as I'm capable so I'm thinking it might still look good if I just regularly work out.

AHH!! Sorry, I know it's long for this type of message board but I'm just overwhelmed with information and don't really know what to do. I don't want to formulate my plans then have nothing to show for it months down the line.

ANY help is appreciated.

By the way...stats:

6' 3.5''
180-185 lbs.
bf% ??
full-time student (if that affects anything)

Hungry4knowledg
04-20-2002, 04:17 AM
From what I understand, for most people it's pretty hard to put on muscle without putting on fat. Get enough protein, to build muscle. Get enough carbs, to fuel muscle. And get plenty of calories. Generally, you don't need all the crap associated with bodybuilding to build muscle. Some whey protein for post workout is a good idea though. Just because it'll digest much faster than anything you get out of solid food. Food is the most important thing though.

MWB
04-20-2002, 04:25 AM
6 healthy meals like you stated is a great way to go and will only help you in you weight lifting. Most people use whey and MRP for post workout or convenience. For example, there is one time during the day that it is impossible for me to eat a solid meal, but I can chug down a MRP in a minute.
I think you are worried for nothing about whey and MRP's being bad, they are just powdered food. The protein is just a powdered, filtered version of milk. That's it. They really aren't any better than food, just a more convenient form of it. The only time it might be better is post workout where your body is looking for nutrients ASAP. Other than that there is nothing magical about them.

Mark
04-20-2002, 07:16 AM
If you eat 6 healthy meals a day youmay get even better results as solid foods digests more slowly and gives your body a continual supply of nutrients.

As has already been said MRPs and protein powder are there to make your life easier.

Many people find protein powder a good way of hiking their protein intake without digestive discomfort.

WillyTheGreat
04-20-2002, 11:04 AM
OK, gotcha. Thanks for the input guys.

I read that it's good to take in dextrose/maltodextrin post-workout...two questions.

1. I'm thinking of just drinking Powerade which supposedly has both in its ingredients, will that work?

2. BESIDES the sugar, I'm supposed to take in protein? Or am I just supposed to have a meal? How does the timing go? Like...do I drink the sugars first then have protein in a couple minutes or what?

WillyTheGreat
04-20-2002, 07:18 PM
help with the last question, please. =)

Jane
04-21-2002, 07:34 AM
After you work out, have a meal consisting of some protein and carbohydrate. At this point, I wouldn't worry about the details. Try to get the meal as soon as possible after you lift, and yes, have all your food together.
You could have some whey protein and some dextrose/maltodextrin or a chicken breast and white bread, it won't make a huge difference. If you're in a hurry, don't worry about using the first option, it's not going to harm you.

So, specifically, what are your goals? Cutting or bulking? How far?

ENYCE
04-21-2002, 11:23 AM
All the powders taste like ****.

WillyTheGreat
04-21-2002, 02:02 PM
I don't have much muscle right now so I guess I'll have to bulk. If I cut then I'm just going to get real thing and ya...I'll probably have a 6-pack but there'll be no muscle and I don't like looking like a stick. I'll probably just bulk for the next couple of months and when summer gets here (well, it's already here in California but ya know, like June) I'll assess my situation.