PDA

View Full Version : Powerlifting gym atmosphere

BFGUITAR
07-06-2009, 05:43 PM
I work out with a bunch of old farts.

The youngest guy aside from me is about 48, then 52, 54, 55, and 64. There is one other who is about my age but he doesn't participate much.

One thing I have noticed is the excessive amount of hilarious name calling between each other (in a joking manner of course) and the slew of dirty jokes between sets (and they are all old man jokes so I have no clue what they are talking about). Is this typical of other powerlifting gyms or just mine? Sorry for the dumb question as this contributes nothing to the forum lol. I am just curious.

slashkills
07-06-2009, 06:26 PM
lol. When i work out with my buddies or even when im not we do that kind of stuff. We only work out in my basement though or at a school gym. Not a real hardcore gym.

BrockO'Bummer
07-06-2009, 06:32 PM
Most powerlifters are old farts. They just keep getting stronger even when their old.

Lones Green
07-06-2009, 07:00 PM
I've heard some of the most vile jokes inside the walls of a PL gym.

Brian Hopper
07-06-2009, 07:06 PM
I guess it's a powerlifting thing, because we do the same at our gym.

slashkills
07-06-2009, 07:49 PM
I guess it's a powerlifting thing, because we do the same at our gym.

I think in general guys can just be real a holes to each other. I love it

Clifford Gillmore
07-06-2009, 08:48 PM
I've heard far, far worse in butcher shops and boning rooms - really rough personal attacks, something which perplexes me in a place full of sharp objects!

Our gym has a really good feel to it, a couple of guys train other people there and the crudeness is kept to the main guys sessions and its pretty bare minmum. Dave Tates E-book has a few good ones in it!

Detard
07-06-2009, 09:28 PM
Anywhere that there is a group of big, tough dudes, your gonna get the **** talking and funny jokes. Go work in a warehouse/construction/landscaping and you'll notice the same thing.

theBarzeen
07-07-2009, 08:29 AM
a lot of guys keep getting stronger through their 50's and 60's..... just look at the numbers Ernie Frantz put up in his 50's+..... at 75 years old he still squats in the low 600's on a good day.....

Sidior
07-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Anywhere that there is a group of big, tough dudes, your gonna get the **** talking and funny jokes. Go work in a warehouse/construction/landscaping and you'll notice the same thing.

Gotta agree with this. I worked for a tree removal company one summer and it was the same ****.

johnnyo_99
07-07-2009, 10:17 AM
i worked with a couple of dirty old guys one summer hauling hay, I've never been the same since.

My current lifting partners are pretty serious while training and stay focused on the lifts. when done training we shoot the ****.

fulldaddy
07-07-2009, 11:38 AM
College & pro locker rooms are the exact same. BUT I believe as men get older and accmulate a longer list of regrets & mistakes - the easier it is to rip them & the less likely they are to get pissed about it. If nobody is giving you crap - you probably don't have any friends right?

As a wise woman (my wife) once said - "Once a group of men get together their IQ's just plummet".

I'm not sure if truer words have ever been spoken

vdizenzo
07-08-2009, 08:58 AM
Jokes, name calling, and tranny talk. Typical ME bench night for us.

Brad08
07-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Everyone is nicknamed "pussy" at our gym.

What are the odds.

JasonLift
07-08-2009, 07:55 PM
We don't trash talk each other too much, real supportive and behind each other but we are also really competive at the same time. Although I have seen guys smack each other before a lift so hard it kind of rocked em, or left one nasty hand print though no body has KO'd someone else like Mike Wolfe did lol.

Jay1
07-09-2009, 01:00 PM
At the right times of the day, our crowd can be pretty serious, but brutal and hilarious at the same time. Best part of the day!!

UncleAl
07-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Old...and guilty.

=Travis=
07-09-2009, 06:04 PM
Everyone is nicknamed "pussy" at our gym.

What are the odds.

Only when you show up...

When you're not there we just use that term to describe you

JK1
07-10-2009, 11:27 AM
If you think powerlifting gyms are bad, try hanging around with a bunch of zoo keepers. They blow powerlifters, construction workers, and warehouse workers completely out of the water. You never know which direction the conversation is going to go, only its going to go downhill.

I think you have to have fun to succeed....

I think there is a direct correlation between the **** talking/crude jokes/etc that happens and the success of the group you are working with too. A little laughter between sets has a positive influence on the amount of weight lifted for everyone.

Out of everyone I know, I have to say I think my wife is absolutely the worst in the gym for crap talking too. Personally, i think its funny as hell. But thats my warped sense of humor.