PDA

View Full Version : gallon of milk

dolphin
07-07-2009, 08:54 AM
Doing SS. If I drink a gallon of milk each day, thats 4 litres. Do I need to eat protein powder too?
4 litres is about 1200 cals 120grams protein. Plus normal meals - breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks.

Optimum08
07-07-2009, 09:09 AM
If eating/drinking meets your protein requirements for the day then no. If they do not, then yes.

malkore
07-07-2009, 10:18 AM
Don't forget to count all the carbs in milk and the fat if its not skim.

Holto
07-07-2009, 10:31 AM
Doing SS. If I drink a gallon of milk each day, thats 4 litres. Do I need to eat protein powder too?
4 litres is about 1200 cals 120grams protein. Plus normal meals - breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks.

You need a nutrition plan that includes daily totals. It's important to know what you're eating.

samadhi_smiles
07-07-2009, 10:34 AM
I eat 300 grams of protein and 10 grams of fish oil fat and then just consume moderate amounts of food to 'fill in' the rest of the requirements (eat judging by hunger since your maintenance fluctuates day to day).

YoungNoble
07-07-2009, 10:35 AM
Don't forget to count all the carbs in milk and the fat if its not skim.
GOMAD is typically done with whole milk so hopefully that's what he's using. If the goal is to gain weight, I wouldn't see the point in using anything other than whole.

dolphin
07-07-2009, 07:39 PM
Ok. 4 litres of milk plus my other meals makes up my requirements. But am I getting too much from just milk and what would 4 litres do to my stomach, I only drink 1-2 a day at the moment?
(and yes I drink whole as Im trying to gain weight)

Mr_Banger
07-19-2009, 08:30 AM
i cant imagine drinking 4 litres of milk a day, its too much, youd spend most of the day feeling sick, and it would play havok with your digestive system, youd probably spend most of the day pissing out of your arse

Big Jay
07-19-2009, 08:47 AM
i cant imagine drinking 4 litres of milk a day, its too much, youd spend most of the day feeling sick, and it would play havok with your digestive system, youd probably spend most of the day pissing out of your arse
i manage it fine... **** somedays with milk in shakes and porridge etc i probably get in 5 liters. If you feel sick all day from drinking 4 liters of milk... you're either lactose intolerant or a little girl

Big Jay
07-19-2009, 08:57 AM
If the goal is to gain weight, I wouldn't see the point in using anything other than whole.
you can gain weight drinking 2% milk as well.
4 liters of 2% milk is 2000 cals and 140 grams of protein
if that plus the rest of ur cals is above your maintenance... you'll gain weight.

YoungNoble
07-19-2009, 11:17 AM
you can gain weight drinking 2% milk as well.
4 liters of 2% milk is 2000 cals and 140 grams of protein
if that plus the rest of ur cals is above your maintenance... you'll gain weight.
Of course. This is obvious though...

If someone wants to do GOMAD chances are they're a 'hardgainer' AKA they're skinny and don't eat enough or they just want an easy, convenient way to gain weight quicker. They'll definitely gain weight w/GOMAD. It's a waste of time to go w/ low fat or skimmed milk. The nutrient profile isn't the same (namely cals and saturated fats) especially when we compare actual #'s.

Whole Milk:
2400 cal
200g carbs
120g fat
120g protein

For what GOMAD is originally intended for (skinny people try to gain weight), using anything other than whole milk is virtually pointless. I'm not going to encourage the splitting hairs. In the end, the best is advice is "do what works best for you". As long as you're not harming yourself or anyone else, it shouldn't make a difference. Now, whether or not it's optimal is a whole 'nother topic.

I know if I'm a skinny guy, I'm going with whole milk and some lactase pills and I'm golden.

ZenMonkey
07-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Of course. This is obvious though...

If someone wants to do GOMAD chances are they're a 'hardgainer' AKA they're skinny and don't eat enough or they just want an easy, convenient way to gain weight quicker. They'll definitely gain weight w/GOMAD. It's a waste of time to go w/ low fat or skimmed milk. The nutrient profile isn't the same (namely cals and saturated fats) especially when we compare actual #'s.

Whole Milk:
2400 cal
200g carbs
120g fat
120g protein

For what GOMAD is originally intended for (skinny people try to gain weight), using anything other than whole milk is virtually pointless. I'm not going to encourage the splitting hairs. In the end, the best is advice is "do what works best for you". As long as you're not harming yourself or anyone else, it shouldn't make a difference. Now, whether or not it's optimal is a whole 'nother topic.

I know if I'm a skinny guy, I'm going with whole milk and some lactase pills and I'm golden.

Youre 1/2 right. Other milk will be fine but the amount of the hormones in skim and 2% will be less.

The point of whole milk GOMAD is partially the cals, protein carbs and fat. The hormone IGF-1, which is used in milk producing cows finds its way into the milk they produce. Therefore, the milk we get has amounts of GH in it. This in addition the squatting heavy 2-3x a week OR 20 rep squats.. which releases HGH will make you body think its on steroids. (According to Mark Rippetoe, Glenn Pendlay, Bill Starr, and others). All of this plus 3600 calories of whole milk and a ton of fat and protein will augment the hormone being eaten and secreted. IGF-1 can be found in skim and 2%, just in smaller amounts.

YoungNoble
07-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Youre 1/2 right. Other milk will be fine but the amount of the hormones in skim and 2% will be less.

The point of whole milk GOMAD is partially the cals, protein carbs and fat. The hormone IGF-1, which is used in milk producing cows finds its way into the milk they produce. Therefore, the milk we get has amounts of GH in it. This in addition the squatting heavy 2-3x a week OR 20 rep squats.. which releases HGH will make you body think its on steroids. (According to Mark Rippetoe, Glenn Pendlay, Bill Starr, and others). All of this plus 3600 calories of whole milk and a ton of fat and protein will augment the hormone being eaten and secreted. IGF-1 can be found in skim and 2%, just in smaller amounts.
what i said wasn't partially accurate--it was. i just didn't get in-depth w/my post LOL. trying to keep it basic and direct.

using anything other than whole milk isn't GOMAD. that's the bottom line.

Big Jay
07-19-2009, 11:43 AM
The hormone IGF-1, which is used in milk producing cows finds its way into the milk they produce. Therefore, the milk we get has amounts of GH in it. This in addition the squatting heavy 2-3x a week OR 20 rep squats.. which releases HGH will make you body think its on steroids. (According to Mark Rippetoe, Glenn Pendlay, Bill Starr, and others).
i've read this before... does anyone have any links to actual studies done that show Rippetoe's claim "There also seems to be something special about milk that the equivalent amount of calories, protein, fat and carbs can't duplicate in terms of growth enhancement", to be true?

ZenMonkey
07-19-2009, 12:11 PM

using anything other than whole milk isn't GOMAD. that's the bottom line.

This is just plain wrong.

ZenMonkey
07-19-2009, 12:11 PM
i've read this before... does anyone have any links to actual studies done that show Rippetoe's claim "There also seems to be something special about milk that the equivalent amount of calories, protein, fat and carbs can't duplicate in terms of growth enhancement", to be true?

Yea, lemme find some of the abstracts....

This is from a Rippetoe Q&A Forum

http://strengthmill.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2331&highlight=GOMAD

This is just a site on 20rep squats and GOMAD(at the bottom of the page)

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/20_Rep_Squats

1/2 way down the page:
http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Nutrition,_Supplements_and_Cardio

YoungNoble
07-19-2009, 12:14 PM
This is just plain wrong.
LOL ok :thumbup:

ZenMonkey
07-19-2009, 12:18 PM
LOL ok :thumbup:

It the truth. Rippetoe has said it in similar words himself.

The extra fat in the whole milk does help in the dispersion but the same GHs can be found in skim and 2%... it just has a higher saturation in whole milk.:thumbup:

Big Jay
07-19-2009, 12:45 PM
Yea, lemme find some of the abstracts....

This is from a Rippetoe Q&A Forum

http://strengthmill.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2331&highlight=GOMAD

This is just a site on 20rep squats and GOMAD(at the bottom of the page)

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/20_Rep_Squats

1/2 way down the page:
http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Nutrition,_Supplements_and_Cardio
thanks ZM, some good info