PDA

View Full Version : Slight Kidney pains... because of diet?

Aslin
07-07-2009, 10:51 AM
I know i've been doing creatine mono far too long, my protein shake had 5g creatine mono in it in a daily serving and I was doing that for 18months, on top of taking 5g cratine per day for 6 of those months, for a total of 10g per day for six months roughly.

i didnt see that the shake i was taking had 5g creatine mono in it...

MY question is, would taking that amount of creatine for so long mess up my kidneys?

Thanks.

Trainwreck
07-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Only if you're not drinking enough water.

Aslin
07-07-2009, 11:19 AM
hmm ok, i think i was lol.

gonna get checked out at the doc anyway.

samadhi_smiles
07-07-2009, 12:28 PM
diagnosing a kidney problem according to what you feel is very likely open to mistakes.

Creatine is very well tolerated by the body. If you don't drink enough water you'll likely experience cramping, because the creatine is hygroscopic (meaning it draws water to it from the environment it is in). This means it will draw water from your stomach/intestinal lining and cause you to dehydrate.

If you take creatine, here's what you should do to understand how much water you need to be consuming with each dose. Measure out your dose in a big glass of water. Now add water. Stir. Does all the creatine dissolve? If not, then you haven't added enough water. Add more water. Eventually you will notice the creatine dissolves completely into solution. This is how much water you need to be consuming in order to not have the creatine draw water from your stomach lining/intestinal lining. Its way more than you think it is.

I found about 2 grams of creatine = 8 ounces of water. Now most people just dump 5 grams in 8 ounces and stir it a little and chug it down. If you do that, then you need to drink at least another 8 ounces in order for optimal absorption to occur.

Aslin
07-07-2009, 02:42 PM
hmm thanks, I hope i've not done any serious damage,

Optimum08
07-07-2009, 02:45 PM
Do you actually have kidney pains or are you just imagining these pains because you think you should have kidney pains?

Sidenote (not at OP, but just in general): Make sure you know FOR SURE what you're putting into your body BEFORE you ingest it. Just a thought.

Aslin
07-07-2009, 02:49 PM
i dunno, they're quite faint pains, i drunk a whole bottle of whiskey a couple of weeks ago (Diluted with coke) and they started the day after that. I think that's probably why. But the pains have made me realise the amount of creatine i was taking and got me worried.

alas the sidenote makes a lot of sense.

Optimum08
07-07-2009, 02:55 PM
How much water are you drinking (were drinking) per day? The creatine shouldn't have had that bad of an adverse affect if you were intaking a sufficient amount of water.

A general guideline for active people is to shoot for half your bodyweight in oz. of water per day. (If BW=220, then shoot of 110 oz. of water per day). If you were anywhere near this, you most likely just pissed away the excess creatine and you might just be imagining the kidney pains. If your that worried go see a doc.

Aslin
07-07-2009, 02:58 PM
your probably right, i have no idea what i was drinking, but i used to drink quite a lot. So if I wasnt drinking enough where would the creatine go? would it stay in my kidneys?