PDA

View Full Version : Do Extra Calories Get Distributed to Muscle Only?

Mr Boogeyman
07-07-2009, 05:21 PM
Currently I'm working on losing weight so I'm eating less calories then my maintenance and steadily losing weight, my belly is the last thing to go and its almost there.

My question though, when I start eating for building muscle I will have to eat more then my maintenance of course but do all the extra calories go strictly into muscle or is there a chance it will also go back to my belly (I've worked so hard to get it down lol)...Taking into consideration I will only be eating about 500 calories above my maintenance ans be on a strict diet of healthy foods/shakes and the recommended protein intake. And of course doing heave lifting.

jAy_Dub
07-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Definitely not muscle only. Realistically, with almost all muscle gains comes some sort of fat gain, how much fat gain is up to your diet.

Virtron
07-07-2009, 05:30 PM
Currently I'm working on losing weight so I'm eating less calories then my maintenance and steadily losing weight, my belly is the last thing to go and its almost there.

My question though, when I start eating for building muscle I will have to eat more then my maintenance of course but do all the extra calories go strictly into muscle or is there a chance it will also go back to my belly (I've worked so hard to get it down lol)...Taking into consideration I will only be eating about 500 calories above my maintenance ans be on a strict diet of healthy foods/shakes and the recommended protein intake. And of course doing heave lifting.

Thats what happens with me. My belly grows first. I mean if you think of it this way... 4 calories per gram of protein and carbs... and 9 calories per gram of fat. So, get an extra 50 grams of protein per day. Thats 200 calories right there. It'll help with the muscle mass. 50 grams of carbs - thats another 200 calories. Throw in a gatorade like 30 minutes before workout. A 16 oz should make a big portion of those 50 grams of carbs. For fat I would go with nothing more than peanut butter. All natural peanut butter has those good fats in it. I think you'll be all right with that.

Mr Boogeyman
07-07-2009, 05:33 PM
thanks, i guess i already new the answer lol ...... its all about diet

jAy_Dub
07-07-2009, 05:41 PM
thanks, i guess i already new the answer lol ...... its all about diet

My general suggestion would be to eat as clean as possible, tons of food, and do regular cardio to keep the bf under control. 2 grams of protein per lb of bodyweight, moderate carbs, minimal fats. Never let yourself get hungry. Try it out, see what happens, and adjust from there.

Mr Boogeyman
07-07-2009, 05:50 PM
My general suggestion would be to eat as clean as possible, tons of food, and do regular cardio to keep the bf under control. 2 grams of protein per lb of bodyweight, moderate carbs, minimal fats. Never let yourself get hungry. Try it out, see what happens, and adjust from there.

thnks will do

Unreal
07-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Diet, genetics and training will all make a difference in how your body partitions extra calories. You could gain 10% muscle and 90% fat or the opposite but no one gains only lean muscle.

samadhi_smiles
07-08-2009, 10:42 AM
if your intensity is very high (read balls to the wall sets) then you will gain minimal amounts of fat if you're eating a couple (2-300) calories above maintenance. Throw in some GPP on your off days and you will minimize even further the fat gain. AM fasted cardio can also be like a 'governor' on fat gain - drop it if you are not gaining fat, increase it if you are.

I think most people could use a little more intensity in their lifting.

Mr Boogeyman
07-08-2009, 11:43 AM
(read balls to the wall sets)

never heard that term lol