PDA

View Full Version : DE Bench video, and bench help.

Clifford Gillmore
07-07-2009, 10:03 PM
wnCkG1l2jMU

Okay, I'm happy with my arch and getting everything tight - but my wrists are not inline with my elbows, any tips for this?

I'm thinking that I should bring my arms as forward as they want to go (towards my feet)without letting the elbows break and then letting them break as I can't lower the bar anymore. I may just try and get someone to push me into position a few times and see if I learn how it 'feels'

Thanks!

Kenny Powers
07-07-2009, 10:56 PM
first thing i noticed is that your ass isnt on the bench, and also comes up even further during each rep. imo you will get redlighted for that in a meet no question.

you have the flexibility, just get it down.

Clifford Gillmore
07-07-2009, 11:06 PM
first thing i noticed is that your ass isnt on the bench, and also comes up even further during each rep. imo you will get redlighted for that in a meet no question.

It is actually, I'll re-film with lighter coloured pants. Trust me on that :)

NickAus
07-08-2009, 12:30 AM
Hi mate,

I think you are tucking too much for raw benching, you should touch just below nipple line.
Your elbows must stay under the bar to move any real weight especially with shirt benching.
This is hard with closer grip benching as you would have to touch lower.

Travis Bell
07-08-2009, 03:40 AM

No, it's on there. You're seeing light from his arch

Hi mate,

I think you are tucking too much for raw benching, you should touch just below nipple line.
Your elbows must stay under the bar to move any real weight especially with shirt benching.
This is hard with closer grip benching as you would have to touch lower.

Elbows staying under the bar doesn't have a whole lot to do with the tucking. His tuck is fine for a raw lifter. I tuck about the same as that when benching raw. I also touch on my upper abdomen when benching raw.

Risk, the reason the bar is behind though is because you are bending your wrists back. You need to keep them straight. Little more leg drive wouldn't hurt either.

NickAus
07-08-2009, 04:09 AM
No, it's on there. You're seeing light from his arch

Elbows staying under the bar doesn't have a whole lot to do with the tucking. His tuck is fine for a raw lifter. I tuck about the same as that when benching raw. I also touch on my upper abdomen when benching raw.

Risk, the reason the bar is behind though is because you are bending your wrists back. You need to keep them straight. Little more leg drive wouldn't hurt either.

Ok cant argue with the way you bench Travis.
Do you agree that he needs to touch lower as well as keep wrists straight? I'm sure from the vid if he straightens his wrists his elbows will still not be under the bar.

Ryano
07-08-2009, 05:32 AM
Nice arch and setup, but during the press, you are not keeping the bar over your elbows. Stop the video at the bottom of the press on the first rep. With heavy weights and the bar higher than your elbows, you'll dump the bar toward your face. You can do that with a light speed bench, but not max weights.

Clifford Gillmore
07-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the input everyone! I'll start casting my wrists to try and keep my wrists straight. Its quite strange, I never used to do that - even with video proof..

bencher8
07-08-2009, 07:57 PM
you are letting your wrists get bent back to much, but you are also starting the bar to high. Work on getting the bar in your palm more and move the bar laterally(toward your feet) before you start the press..maybe 3-4" or so. Your elbows will be in line then....

Beefcaker
07-09-2009, 08:51 PM
I don't know if everybody else agrees with me, but I feel that you should lower the bar a bit slower when you are still trying to get form down (on Speed work). If there is any quirk in your form, it will be exaggerated at quicker speeds, and then will effect the way you bench with heavier weight. The way you practice something is the way that you will perform it. Just something to think about..

Travis Bell
07-09-2009, 09:07 PM
Ok cant argue with the way you bench Travis.
Do you agree that he needs to touch lower as well as keep wrists straight? I'm sure from the vid if he straightens his wrists his elbows will still not be under the bar.

His wrists aren't really crazy bent back in the first place. It's the angle of the video, which is the same reason you think his elbows aren't under the bar

I think he's touching just about right. Maybe 1/2" - 1" lower wouldn't hurt, but it's difficult to tell from the video. If he goes too low, it'll be hard on his shoulders as well as be out of the range of his power

Travis Bell
07-09-2009, 09:08 PM
I don't know if everybody else agrees with me, but I feel that you should lower the bar a bit slower when you are still trying to get form down (on Speed work). If there is any quirk in your form, it will be exaggerated at quicker speeds, and then will effect the way you bench with heavier weight. The way you practice something is the way that you will perform it. Just something to think about..

If his form was all over the place, I'd agree with you, but in this instance he's really not that bad. His elbows have a nice tight groove as to his shoulders and lats. He's not risking anything by going the same speed he has been so he should stick with that.

Were his form falling apart, I would agree with you, but it's really not that terrible.