PDA

View Full Version : does fish oil build a tolerance for vegetarian

bass slayer
07-08-2009, 10:02 AM
Im a vegetarian and when I use to eat fish, it would give me the runs, but I have been taking fish oil now for a good year now. Do you think I would have a problem now if I ate fish? Does it even work that way lol?

samadhi_smiles
07-08-2009, 10:45 AM
tolerance is an effect of drugs...this means basically the dosage must be increased in order for the same effects to occur (think about a pain patient needing to increase slowly their dosage of oxycontin for the same level of analgesic pain relief).

Fish oil has a NUMBER of effects on the body and mind. There are trace compounds found in fish oil that upregulates production of acetylcholine (by donating the choline molecule upon which the acetyl choline transferase enzyme acts to convert it to ACh). (this compound is called DMAE if you are curious). There are some tolerance effects to DMAE, but that is only one of the many many benefits of fish oil.

Keep taking fish oil...and eat fish whenever you can afford it. They are both very good for you!

KarlMarx
07-08-2009, 03:12 PM
I am a vegetarian who occasionally eats fish or meat (rarely!) The intolerance thing is a myth. You don't lose the ability to digest them. If you get the runs from the fish oil. Its the fish oil and not the fact that you are veggie.

You can eat fish whenever you want--if you could ever digest it you should be able to now (all other things being equal). But why would you?:thumbup:

Mercuryblade
07-08-2009, 03:13 PM
It depends on what compound in fish is the one that gives you the runs. If the compound in fish that gives you the runs isn't present in fish oil then there is no chance you are building up a tolerance to it.
Also you might be getting an adverse reaction for reasons that can't be overcome by simply exposing your body to small amounts of the responsible component ie lactose intolerance.

KarlMarx
07-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Oops, I thought it was the fish oil giving you the runs...my bad.