PDA

View Full Version : New to board, need help with powerlifting lingo

rabiddog
07-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Hey guys, I used to compete in powerlifting back in the 90's and havent lifted really since 99. Decided to get back into lifting and found this site. I turn 50 in August, my best bench was 450# drug free back in the 90's. Only supps I ever took were protien and creatine.

Anyhow long story short, Im getting back into lifting (and I gotta tell ya, repping 225# 4-6 times feels like lifting a truck now). Anyhow looking over the board I see terms Im not used to, could someone give me the meanings of the terms used on this board, like "raw", "ME", "DE", whats ment by using bands? Things like that.

Thanks

Jay1
07-08-2009, 12:41 PM
Hey guys, I used to compete in powerlifting back in the 90's and havent lifted really since 99. Decided to get back into lifting and found this site. I turn 50 in August, my best bench was 450# drug free back in the 90's. Only supps I ever took were protien and creatine.

Anyhow long story short, Im getting back into lifting (and I gotta tell ya, repping 225# 4-6 times feels like lifting a truck now). Anyhow looking over the board I see terms Im not used to, could someone give me the meanings of the terms used on this board, like "raw", "ME", "DE", whats ment by using bands? Things like that.

Thanks

Welcome rabiddog, learn these terms and how to apply them and you'll have your old bench back soon. Raw = lifting w/o the use of gear. ME = Max effort training. DE = Dynamic Effort or "speed" training. Bands = strong rubber bands used to add accomodating resistance to many exercises to make the lift tougher from start to finish, however the end of the lift becomes harder than the start. (like the top of a squat or the lockout on a bench) You can learn about all these things right here, at Westside-barbell.com or elitefts.com. ME, DE and bands & chains are used extensively in the Westside method.:)

rabiddog
07-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Thanks. Another question, when you say Raw means lifting without gear are you including the wieghtbelt? Or you just talking a bench shirt or squat suit? I never used a bench shirt while working out and only wore a singlet for meets. Well I used a bench shirt for meets also, but never used it for working out. Only equipment I used for working out was my lever action belt.

Pete22
07-08-2009, 01:16 PM
This should cover it:

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75458

rabiddog
07-08-2009, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the link Pete :)