PDA

View Full Version : Today I realized how much grip effects how much you bench.

Andre518
07-09-2009, 11:17 AM
When I first started working out I got some bad advice and was told to use a really wide grip on my bench. So What I use to do was grip about and inch or so outside the rings. After about a year of lifting like that and really no chest growth I found out it was too wide so I moved in a lot ring fingers on the rings and started to notice strength and chest increase. The last few months I have been focusing on my arch and not paying much attention to my grip. The last few weeks it has seemed as if my bench was declining. Today I noticed that I was griping inside the ring marks with just a little adjustment back out to the ring finger over the ring mark and the weight moved up a lot easier. Its funny how much an inch or so can play with how much you bench. Where do most of you guys grip the bar? Does the amount of weight play a part as to where you grip?

slashkills
07-09-2009, 11:21 AM
about 75% of my benching is with thumbs an inch from the smooth

UncleAl
07-09-2009, 12:25 PM
I can't seem to get the grip thing figured out. Sometimes I'm stronger with my ring fingers on the rings. Other times, I do better with my pinkies up to an inch inside the rings.

As far as the amount of weight mattering, I can do higher reps with light to moderate weights using an ultra wide grip, but if I load up the bar to anywhere near my PR, my shoulders cave in.

Maybe I'm just weird.

evilxxx
07-09-2009, 12:29 PM
I train with different grips , i only go index on the rings for max. everything else i go by set, I might do set 1 with index over the rings, set 2 with middle over the ring etc...for shirt i prefer from ring between the mid and index or wider, raw i go from thumb length from the smooth to ring finger on the rings, but i really dont do much heavy raw anymore, maybe next cycle wich is after Oct.

mchicia1
07-09-2009, 12:32 PM
I always thought it was more chest growth with a wider grip? I can for sure push more weight with a wider grip.

Andre518
07-09-2009, 12:40 PM
I can honestly say it did not happen for me. I trained for year really wide I got up to 315 bench with not significant change in my chest then when I narrowed my grip more I could barely bench 250.

deeder
07-09-2009, 12:53 PM
Middle fingers on the rings... Any wider and my shoulders can't take it, any narrower and I'm weaker.

Brian C
07-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Middle fingers on the rings... Any wider and my shoulders can't take it, any narrower and I'm weaker.
Same for me when RAW. Index on rings when in a shirt.

dynamo
07-09-2009, 01:12 PM
middle on ring, if im looking for a good stretch ill go as wide as pinkies rubbing against the bench where the bar rests.

rabiddog
07-09-2009, 01:39 PM
ive used the same grip for 30 years. suicide grip with my index finger on the outside of the ring (placing ring between index and thumb). wider the grip = more chest used in pushing the weight. more narrow the grip = more tryceps used in pushing the weight.