PDA

View Full Version : Seated shoulder press depth

berfles
07-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Am I going down far enough or should I try a bit lower? If I go much lower my right shoulder starts bothering me from when I dislocated it, but if my reps are that high I'll work on my RC and try getting them lower. The first one is a bit higher than the rest.

Uga3Q0ngs4U

chris mason
07-09-2009, 01:52 PM
Well, that depends on far enough for what? In general, I would say it is fine.

Brad08
07-09-2009, 01:55 PM
I can't see the video for some reason, but if you're only 22 and having some ongoing shoulder issues, you oughta be doing some pretty intense rehab/prehab if possible. It will pay off in teh long run to not have to work around some lingering shoulder issue.

berfles
07-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Well, that depends on far enough for what? In general, I would say it is fine.

I don't know, just low enough that it benefits me decently and I don't get called out for doing the equivalent of a quarter squat for shoulders or something.

I can't see the video for some reason, but if you're only 22 and having some ongoing shoulder issues, you oughta be doing some pretty intense rehab/prehab if possible. It will pay off in teh long run to not have to work around some lingering shoulder issue.

It's nothing bad, it's just a bit of pain that I don't want to make worse by going down further. I have a list of all those rotator cuff exercises somewhere, maybe I'll start doing them again.

Mad Max
07-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Wow, is that 200lbs? Looking by your sig stats, you look like you've made some phenomenal progress.

berfles
07-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Thanks, yeah that's 200lbs. I'll see if I can get my 225lb sets on video next week.

fpr
07-09-2009, 08:13 PM
I do standing military presses ... usually come down to the sternal notch/clavicle region

mcdonough9395
07-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Yeah that looks plenty low enough to me. And btw thats some strong stuff ... repping your body weight on OHP is impressive man.

Stew
07-10-2009, 12:56 AM
1. Love the sig. May need to steal that for my tubby ass.
2. I touch the top of my pecs on every rep. But then again my max is like 125 and not moving very quick.

Xellarz
07-10-2009, 04:31 AM
I'm kind of a jerk when it comes to this kind of thing...but I think those were fine. Strong lifting, too. I'm curious why you do them seated as opposed to standing, but I have no problem with seated - just curious.

EDIT: oh yeah, get on the Prehab, though. It's quick, easy, and it definitely pays off.

berfles
07-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Yeah that looks plenty low enough to me. And btw thats some strong stuff ... repping your body weight on OHP is impressive man.

Thanks.

I'm kind of a jerk when it comes to this kind of thing...but I think those were fine. Strong lifting, too. I'm curious why you do them seated as opposed to standing, but I have no problem with seated - just curious.

EDIT: oh yeah, get on the Prehab, though. It's quick, easy, and it definitely pays off.

I don't have room to do them standing, the plates would slam into the ceiling if I stood up. Thanks for the comments, I'll start doing the shoulder stuff again.

Coke
07-10-2009, 09:45 AM
The shoulder presses look perfect imo, doing them seated is better anyways - doing great with your progress.

samadhi_smiles
07-10-2009, 10:20 AM
yeah man great work...I also can't go low on shoulder presses or it aggravates an old injury. So, I feel ya on it. I've talked to a lot of people about it and the consensus is we're not losing out on much by not dropping all the way down to clavicle.

edit - you might want to experiment with DB OH presses, with neutral grip (palms facing each other). That is the only way I can go low with them.

berfles
07-10-2009, 10:21 AM
I've also read that going down all the way takes the tension and load off the shoulders rather than having a constant load, and it's actually better to not drop down all the way. I don't remember what they consider "all the way" though.

muscled
07-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Berfles, i've watched you progress into a beast, man! You really have the genetics for this and I hope you see how far you can take this. Good stuff.

I have a bad rotator cuff and oddly enough, the only exercise I can do directly for shoulders with big weight is wide grip upright rows. I wish I could do mil press as it was my fave exercise before I screwed up my left shoulder one day on the very exercise you are doing so well. GL in your training!

Painzer
07-10-2009, 04:32 PM
Looks good to me man... That's a really impressive press. Nice work! You've made some huge improvements!

fpr
07-10-2009, 05:42 PM
The shoulder presses look perfect imo, doing them seated is better anyways - doing great with your progress.

Why do you say seated is better? Personally, I think standing are better because you engage the core... they are so much more difficult to do.

twm
07-10-2009, 06:04 PM
what if you want to use less core? seated vs standing is like barbell vs dumbbell

berfles, looking real solid, good depth

-JM-
07-10-2009, 07:09 PM
Berfles, they looked like cake for you!

When they get even heavier you might want to turn a 180 on the bench so you are facing the wall and unracking from just above your head. It would save you having to shimmy up and down the bench. It will also save a lot of valuable energy and less chance of tweaking something.

fpr
07-10-2009, 07:32 PM
what if you want to use less core? seated vs standing is like barbell vs dumbbell

Yes, I agree... I'm stalling on my standing OH presses, I may try seated for a while and then try standing again.

berfles
07-11-2009, 12:50 AM
Thanks guys, means a lot hearing people say they've watched me make such improvements. It wasn't long ago I was sitting in my basement just wishing I would make some progress. I still look skinny to myself, but my lifts are definitely coming along. I should try maxing out soon and posting videos.

Ben Moore
07-11-2009, 01:41 AM
Looking good!

fpr
07-11-2009, 01:51 AM
Thanks guys, means a lot hearing people say they've watched me make such improvements. It wasn't long ago I was sitting in my basement just wishing I would make some progress. I still look skinny to myself, but my lifts are definitely coming along. I should try maxing out soon and posting videos.

Since you've met your goal are you going to be cutting now?

berfles
07-11-2009, 09:37 AM
Since you've met your goal are you going to be cutting now?

Once I get all my strength back from my week off I'm going to start cutting. Should be this coming week or next, once I get my bench back to where it was.

samadhi_smiles
07-11-2009, 09:42 AM
how are you going to be cutting? tactics like carb cycling or just overall caloric reduction?

berfles
07-11-2009, 10:04 AM
Probably neither, with my metabolism and the fact that I seem to be merely maintaining at my current intake (6000-6200) I'm probably going to just start doing some form of cardio and keep eating what I usually do. Right now I do nothing but work out, I sit on my ass the rest of the day. I'll be able to start playing basketball and jogging again, though it's not going to be fun since it feels like my shins are going to explode when I try running. Need to take it slow for awhile.

I'm afraid if I cut back even 200 calories and start some cardio, that I'll lose too much too fast.