PDA

View Full Version : Chain weight per foot question

fulldaddy
07-09-2009, 02:41 PM
I am looking at picking up some chains and I was hoping someone might be able to tell me roughly how much one foot of chain would weigh in the following widths

5/8 inch
1/2 inch
1/2 inch proof coil

Thanks guys

Shae
07-09-2009, 02:50 PM
I am looking at picking up some chains and I was hoping someone might be able to tell me roughly how much one foot of chain would weigh in the following widths

5/8 inch
1/2 inch
1/2 inch proof coil

Thanks guys

5/8 inch at 8 feet long would weigh about 80-110 pounds
1/2 inch at 8 feet long would weigh about 60-80 pounds
1/2 inch proof coil I don't have so I can't be any help..

Notorious
07-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Doesn't it depend on the material?

fulldaddy
07-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Thanks Shae. Not sure Notorius - I do know the higher end 5/8 inch stuff sells for $15/a foot - I think I can get some lower end stuff for $5/ a foot.

fulldaddy
07-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Also, what would you guys recommend as a good length of chain (not neccessarily for weight but for function). 6 ft? I do plan to utilize them with the squat, bench, and deads. I'm a hair under 6ft. I plan to keep getting chains as I can afford them.

MarcusWild
07-09-2009, 03:15 PM
5ft is the standard length for what Westside uses and sells.

JK1
07-09-2009, 04:28 PM
5ft is the standard length for what Westside uses and sells.

First chain supply (http://www.1st-chainsupply.com/) has relatively cheap 5 foot lengths of chain. With the free shipping, they are cheaper than Westside, Elitefts, Toppers, and they blew my local steel place completely out of the water. The ones I got from them almost a year ago have held up well. The weights they list on their website were spot on on the ones I bought too when I weighed them.

Rob Luyando
07-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Check your local junk yards you can probably find some log chain relatively cheap

fulldaddy
07-10-2009, 06:51 AM
Thanks guys - good suggestions. You know what is funny Rob is I drove past 2 of the 3 junkyards we have here to check on these chains. I'm not to proud to dig.

I would imagine if I did find some used chains that have been outside for some time they are going to be rusty - what is the best way to clean them off? Any special products that work wonders? Thanks guys

Rob Luyando
07-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Jesus Christ if you can find chains use them they don't have to look pretty

JK1
07-10-2009, 09:52 AM
Thanks guys - good suggestions. You know what is funny Rob is I drove past 2 of the 3 junkyards we have here to check on these chains. I'm not to proud to dig.

I would imagine if I did find some used chains that have been outside for some time they are going to be rusty - what is the best way to clean them off? Any special products that work wonders? Thanks guys

yup, steel wool and hours and hours of scrubbing.

Honestly, its not worth it. Don't worry about the rust, just use the chain.

Sensei
07-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Exactly. Bring those bastards to most gyms and they'll look at you like Frankenstein's monster no matter what. As you drag them in, moaning like a zombie helps too.

Sensei
07-10-2009, 10:13 AM
btw, get some cheaper connector chain - it will make set up a lot easier.

fulldaddy
07-10-2009, 11:53 AM

Relax - I'm not a dam quarterback. I just don't want a bunch of rust & ---t in my house, vehicle, or if I haul them with me to a gym. Although - if I can get them really shinny I can wear them around my neck and HOWL when I walk into the gym. That'll get those turds out of the squat rack.

fulldaddy
07-10-2009, 11:55 AM
Exactly. Bring those bastards to most gyms and they'll look at you like Frankenstein's monster no matter what. As you drag them in, moaning like a zombie helps too.

I am going to try that too - thanks Sensei.

Brian C
07-10-2009, 01:21 PM
you can scrub them with a solvent cleaner or if not too bad use electrical cleaner and spray them down good. Grab some black or silver rustoleum spray paint, hang em from a hook a paint em up. easy fix

shawno
07-10-2009, 02:29 PM
Sit the chains in a bucket of coke or pepsi overnight. Doubt it will take all the rust off but will clean 'em up some so you don't make a mess in your car.

fulldaddy
07-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Thanks Brian & Shawno - much appreciated.

Clifford Gillmore
07-10-2009, 03:54 PM
I've but anti-bacterial rust kill and tryed to clean up chains as best I could, its never worked. Rusted chain is rusted chain.

Sensei
07-10-2009, 10:48 PM
You could try removing as much as possible and then spray painting a coat or two over the remaining rust - it would probably help reduce mess for a while.