PDA

View Full Version : Box squat form check

Ryan Bracewell
07-09-2009, 03:18 PM
I just started box squating about 8 months ago and have had great success with them. In the past 8-12 months my squat has gone from 545(belt only)free squat to a 675 box squat(briefs, knee sleeves, belt) and a 700 SSB box squat(suit w/ straps down, knee sleeves, belt). I know they are working regardless of my form, but I have never trained with any real "powerlifters" so all of my technique teachings have come from youtube and videos from westside and elite. I know alot of guys on here have trained with top powerlifers or are themselves top powerlifters, and would really appreciate any constructive criticism on form. Thanks

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5vv4vJo6icA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5vv4vJo6icA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Clifford Gillmore
07-09-2009, 03:31 PM
1. Leeding with your hips, your breaking at your knees first - so your knees end up drifting forward making it a longer trip down to paralell.
2. I've been told not to rock the box, I honestly can't remember why - but I do as I'm told haha. Sit back onto the box, like you are, pause for a split second and straight back up.
3. You could use a lower box, by maybe an inch. You look like your JUST above paralell.

I've had huge help with my squat from my current gym, and I'm not too far away from a 500 with straps up - just from breaking at the hips first! Getting in with some experienced guys is something I recommend greatly. It might be a little easier for someone like yourself in America, than down here, so definately try and get something sorted.

Ryan Bracewell
07-09-2009, 03:38 PM
the 1 & 2 are things i was wondering about myself. Im not sure if I always break at the knees or if its been a new thing. Lately I have noticed that it does not feel like i am sitting back as far as I used too, but maybe i have always squated that way.

As for the box I am steadily lowering it down. I tried a lowering it before and I seemed to drop a little towards the bottom causing me to hit the box harder. Im assuming that is caused by weak hams or bad form.

Xellarz
07-10-2009, 02:57 AM
Looks like you use a high-bar placement. Have you tried low-bar? Do you use high-bar for a reason?

mattdunkin
07-10-2009, 03:20 AM
Man Ryan,I hope I can get off this damn night shift soon and get over there once in awhile to train at your place.You just need to make a few adjustments which would be very easy to show you.I still am dealing with this pulled adductor but if you are able to stop by Gold's at 12am on any Wednesday I'm box squatting then and could tweak your technique.You are getting strong as hell bro so keep it up!

Ryan Bracewell
07-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Xellarz, I have always done high bar. Until maybe a year ago I always squat in an athletic stance, shoulder width or a little wider, which works better with high bar. I have tried switching to low bar and it just did not feel right, but i may not have been doing it right.

Matt, I appreciate that but going to Gold's at midnight probably will not happen any time soon :cry::D But I am sure we can get together some time and train. BTW, I am doing the NAHA (half strongman, half highland) games tomorrow in Conroe as part of the Branch Warren Classic. Its not in the same building but same location.

After looking at old videos of my squats (with and without box) the form seems to be consistent with the above video. I do seem to break at the knees first. I am thinking part of my form may be off because of my high bar placing...any thoughts?

MarcusWild
07-10-2009, 12:13 PM
I agree about the knees and not rocking. The thing about rocking on the box is you develop a habit of rocking in the whole. What happens when you try to rock in the hole without the box there? You have a lot of strength, so I think the weights will increase pretty fast with a little better technique.

Xellarz
07-10-2009, 05:44 PM
High bar is alright - nothing wrong with it. But I definitely think you should give low-bar another shot.

Ryan Bracewell
10-27-2009, 11:59 PM
Its been over 3 months since I started this thread and figured I would check to see if it appears like my form is any better. Because of my heavy contest schedule the past few months my gains have stalled a little, but now things are getting back to business and want to keep working on my form. Thanks

Just wanted to add that too my eyes it does not look too much different than before. Maybe leading with the ass a little bit more. Also, not sure if it would make too much difference in form but on the old video I was adding 1 plate each side per set, while on this one I went plate, qtr, plate. So in vid 1 that was probably set 6, while the 585 was set 12.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tWM_tlBdagg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tWM_tlBdagg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

douglasoh5
10-28-2009, 08:51 AM
Very strong....the second vid it doesnt look like your doing it but the first when you sit down you rock forward when you go to come off the box.....you want to come straight up off the box....and idk why you missed the 725...work on grinding through the lifts a little more

Ryan Bracewell
10-28-2009, 09:11 AM
Very strong....the second vid it doesnt look like your doing it but the first when you sit down you rock forward when you go to come off the box.....you want to come straight up off the box....and idk why you missed the 725...work on grinding through the lifts a little more

thanks. Not sure if there was really a reason that I missed 725 other than just being too heavy or possibly being tired. the 725 would have been an all time PR, in addition I dont think i have ever done that many sets of squats in one workout before either. Who knows, maybe next time.

I probably do need to work on my "grinding" for the squat. It comes natural to me to grind out a DL, but I think doing it on squat takes more time under the bar.

Lones Green
10-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Looks like you were tired and just gave up on it, I think if you would have stuck with it, it would have went up fine!

Maybe make a bigger jump next time and go for a PR. If its the volume you're worried about, you could do work sets post PR.

Your form is good though, especially for a raw lifter. You stay upright very well, knees don't come in.

Tom Mutaffis
10-28-2009, 10:04 AM
Ryan - how do you like doing the warmups/work sets with the smaller jumps so far? Do you think that it is safer and builds more strength or do you feel like it limits you?

Ryan Bracewell
10-28-2009, 10:13 AM
Ryan - how do you like doing the warmups/work sets with the smaller jumps so far? Do you think that it is safer and builds more strength or do you feel like it limits you?

I have only used this style twice, once on Deadlift max and once on Squat. So far I do not think the the additional seats make it any safer for my joints or muscles, but I am young and my joints don't seem to need as much warmup. Its tough to say whether it will build more strength, but its a much harder workout which would lead you to believe it will build more strength. only time will tell I guess. It probably does limit you from hitting a true max effort, but since its a workout and not a meet/contest I do not see that as a problem. If I was getting ready for a contest that had a max effort lift I would probably switch back to the larger jumps for a workout to get a better idea of what to expect at my contest.

douglasoh5
10-28-2009, 12:04 PM
thanks. Not sure if there was really a reason that I missed 725 other than just being too heavy or possibly being tired. the 725 would have been an all time PR, in addition I dont think i have ever done that many sets of squats in one workout before either. Who knows, maybe next time.

I probably do need to work on my "grinding" for the squat. It comes natural to me to grind out a DL, but I think doing it on squat takes more time under the bar.

Ya it does take time under the bar to get used to grinding through lifts.....I remeber a few years ago if it wasnt an easy lift I would miss it badly...you just have to commit to the lift....and yes you prolly did to many sets before hand...and Lones he said he had briefs on im pretty sure...still a strong ass dude either way...walking **** out isnt easy