PDA

View Full Version : Bulking on a budget! (and other questions)

McLaughlin
07-09-2009, 05:57 PM
What are some of your favorite things to eat while bulking, that don't cost that much?

I'm not the type to avoid anything really, so fast-food, bad for me, or otherwise I don't really care. Just looking for advice.

Thanks!

Also if any of you work in an office I'd love to hear what you eat throughout the day while bulking.

Oh and this too, how many of you go on a bulk or cut without the aid of any supplements?

Also has anyone ever tried going with/without fish oil/multi's just to see the effect it has on them? What I mean is this, so many people take them and recommend them, but have they ever stopped taking them to see if they would even notice a difference?

Thanks again for any advice and input.

blackboard
07-09-2009, 06:23 PM
I don't bulk but I know how to eat for cheap.

Milk - two cups or 1 tall glass equals 300 extra calories

Cheap $20 Blender- Great for mixing Peanut butter, cheap ice cream and milk. Enables you to consume 1500 calories in less than 5 minutes.

Oatmeal-cheap and you can cook it with milk.

Yogurt-extra 120-200 calories after each meal depending on brand. Combine that with milk and you get an extra 500.

KarlMarx
07-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Eggs

Nuts: Peanuts and Sunflower seeds are cheap

Cottage Cheese

There is a great thread with all these foods if you search for it.

Personally none of those oils or a multivitamin has done anything I have noticed for me.

McLaughlin
07-09-2009, 07:02 PM
I don't bulk but I know how to eat for cheap.

Milk - two cups or 1 tall glass equals 300 extra calories

Cheap $20 Blender- Great for mixing Peanut butter, cheap ice cream and milk. Enables you to consume 1500 calories in less than 5 minutes.

Oatmeal-cheap and you can cook it with milk.

Yogurt-extra 120-200 calories after each meal depending on brand. Combine that with milk and you get an extra 500.

Thanks these are the exact types of advice that I wanted.

I have a question about the oatmeal bit... everyone (or most people) talk about oatmeal or oats in their diet, but does everyone cook them? What about dumping them dry into the blender with whatever else you're having?

Eggs

Nuts: Peanuts and Sunflower seeds are cheap

Cottage Cheese

There is a great thread with all these foods if you search for it.

Personally none of those oils or a multivitamin has done anything I have noticed for me.

Thanks for the advice. Also for the comment regarding fish oil and multi's.

I know there's various threads out there but I am a master failure at searching this forum. I prove it to myself every time I want to find "that thread I read the other day about (whatever it was) ". Even with the search function I really don't find anything... I think I might be doing it wrong, like not using the advanced feature or not clicking the right search requirements or something.

STATUS
07-10-2009, 01:47 AM
Almonds!!! 450 cal approx for half a cup... Pop-Tarts, 400 cal for 1 pkg (not actually that bad for you).... Pb & J, Approx 500 Calls Each + not bad for you!!

For breakfast I eat half a cup of almonds and a pop tart...Approx 1000 cals, for lunch I eat half a cup of almonds and 3 pb & j's, another 1000 cals.... For dinner I eat meat, patatoes and some form of vegie with 2 8 oz cups of milk and a weight gainer shake before bed.... 4000 cal day which should work for ya

STATUS
07-10-2009, 01:50 AM
oh and drink 2-3 32 oz of Gatorade daily and 64 oz's of water.... nice equal balance man!!!! well tis what i do lol

McLaughlin
07-10-2009, 05:10 AM
Almonds!!! 450 cal approx for half a cup... Pop-Tarts, 400 cal for 1 pkg (not actually that bad for you).... Pb & J, Approx 500 Calls Each + not bad for you!!

For breakfast I eat half a cup of almonds and a pop tart...Approx 1000 cals, for lunch I eat half a cup of almonds and 3 pb & j's, another 1000 cals.... For dinner I eat meat, patatoes and some form of vegie with 2 8 oz cups of milk and a weight gainer shake before bed.... 4000 cal day which should work for ya

I like this, very simple, very affordable. I'll have to look into picking up some almonds.

oh and drink 2-3 32 oz of Gatorade daily and 64 oz's of water.... nice equal balance man!!!! well tis what i do lol

Hmm if I was drinking that much I think I'd have to spend all day in the restroom. I'll see what I can do though because I know the recommendation is a gallon a day.

Thanks for the tips and advice.

Unreal
07-10-2009, 08:20 AM
I put a cup of dry oats in a bowl, cover with water, microwave for 3 minutes. Then I mix in some protein powder/splenda.

As for supplements, I have gone off fish oil and I definately feel it in my joints and overall well being.

For cheap bulking, buying in bulk is the key. Grains are also going to be a great cheap source of calories. Oats, rice, pasta. Buy eggs, chicken, beef, cottage cheese in bulk. I do 99% of my shopping at costco even though I'm a single guy. I normally buy a few dozen eggs, few tubs of cottage cheese, few packages of chicken, few packages of sausage, vegetables, oats, etc every trip.