PDA

View Full Version : Just Add Sugar

nin137
07-09-2009, 06:27 PM
I just got back from the Supplement store after having bought some more whey protein. I've been using creatine monohydrate with great results for about 2 months now. I normally mix it with two tablespoons of dextrose unless I'm drinking a protein shake in which case I add it to that.

I have two questions:
1) the guy at the store swore that I should add more dextrose to what I take, doubling it or so, even when I use the protein power. Just wanted an opinion on that, I'm not big on upping sugar intake unless it will help add mass.

2) he also recommended no xplode, cellmass and BCAAs, saying that the cellmass is better than creatine. I know that in these forums those cell mass and no xplode are taboo, but I was wondering if someone had some good natural or low-cost alternatives. I am particularly interested in adding BCAAs due to the extreme aerobic workout I will be engaged in once I start up BJJ again.

In short I'm just looking to get back into BJJ, I fractured my thumb a while back and have been out a while. I'm mainly looking to add mass.

I eat a lot during the day (3,000 - 4,000 cals) and have been weight-lifting and running with my dog. plan to return to the sport in a month or so. Thanks for any input!

malkore
07-10-2009, 11:46 AM
Well he's basically right on #1 - post workout the body needs to replenish glycogen, and sugar helps further spike insulin, to get nutrients / creatine in to the cells. There's a lot of info out there on this. Anywhere from 1:2 ratio (carbs:protein) to 2:1 ratio (carbs to protein) get used.
Now that's grams to grams, NOT VOLUME. Dextrose is alot more dense than whey powder, so you'll wanna weigh the dextrose, not use 2 scoops to 1 scoop.

on #2, he's just trying to earn more commission. NO Xplode is nothing but overpriced creatine (malate I think), an NO2 supp (which doesn't do anything beneficial), sugar, and some stimulants.

nin137
07-10-2009, 12:29 PM
thanks for the info! actually as to sugar intake i was wondering if it is a reason why i read these posts of people who say creatine does nothing for them.

i think it's because they don't use nearly enough sugar with their creatine intake, using the amount i use now appears to have a great effect.

i think i'll stick with the basics of food, whey protein, and water without any brand names.

thanks again!

Unreal
07-10-2009, 02:13 PM
How many grams is 2 tables spoons of dextrose? How many calories and how does it fit into your diet plan? That will tell you how much you should add. Like malkore said, a lot of people do a 1:2 ratio.

hankey
07-11-2009, 07:39 AM
its nice......