PDA

View Full Version : Can I Drink Regular Soda

T2ThaJoyal
07-09-2009, 07:37 PM
Hey there, newcomer here. I just want to start off by saying that I am 15 years old. I am six feet tall and weigh 150 lbs. I have been going to the gym for two months and am really buckling down. I don't do any sports (although I'm taking up lacrosse, but that's not until Spring) so weight lifting is just a thing I decided to take up.

My brother who is somewhat of a mentor to me when it comes to lifting told me that if I want to see some serious showing in muscles that I should eat healthy. I know that dieting is hard, especially for a teenager. I'm starting to lower down on the chips and treats, but I still want to have the little things, such as soda. Is soda alright for me?

Another thing is, is that I need to gain weight too for the muscle to grow. So should I forget about dieting for now and focus more on getting in lots of calories or should I go on a strict diet?

dynamo
07-09-2009, 08:19 PM
get calories. you can have soda, don't be a whore about it. if you're really looking to gain muscle drink whole milk and as much lean meat as possible and healthy nuts, like almonds and walnuts. Lift proper and lift heavy. Your best gains will come from determination and dedication, I personally don't drink soda at all because of how terrible it is. Our bodies are adapted for alkaline diets (veggies and such) and soda is pretty acidic and I notice my best gains/sense of wellbeing when I am high on the veggie and meat intake and low on the refined carbohydrate/sugar intake.

Mike S
07-09-2009, 11:28 PM
And if you must drink soda, diet soda really isnt that bad. I used to be a soda fiend...now its just gross to look at. i only drink diet now and once you get used to it you wont taste a difference.

McLaughlin
07-10-2009, 05:15 AM
Hey there, newcomer here. I just want to start off by saying that I am 15 years old. I am six feet tall and weigh 150 lbs. I have been going to the gym for two months and am really buckling down. I don't do any sports (although I'm taking up lacrosse, but that's not until Spring) so weight lifting is just a thing I decided to take up.

My brother who is somewhat of a mentor to me when it comes to lifting told me that if I want to see some serious showing in muscles that I should eat healthy. I know that dieting is hard, especially for a teenager. I'm starting to lower down on the chips and treats, but I still want to have the little things, such as soda. Is soda alright for me?

Another thing is, is that I need to gain weight too for the muscle to grow. So should I forget about dieting for now and focus more on getting in lots of calories or should I go on a strict diet?

If you're 15, 6'0 and 150 you need to stop the "diet" right now.

Eat food. Drink soda. Work out as hard as you possibly can. and SLEEP. Don't forget sleep.

If you want to get big that's the best way to go about it. Especially at your age, you really don't need to worry so much about what you eat, just that you are eating a lot of it, and frequently. and pushing yourself in the gym.

You could take the slow approach and eat only healthy things and blah blah blah, but that depends on your goals. I came to this site to get big, and all the advice from the big guys on the site is the advice I said above.

T2ThaJoyal
07-10-2009, 06:45 AM

Eat food. Drink soda. Work out as hard as you possibly can. and SLEEP. Don't forget sleep.

If you want to get big that's the best way to go about it. Especially at your age, you really don't need to worry so much about what you eat, just that you are eating a lot of it, and frequently. and pushing yourself in the gym.

You could take the slow approach and eat only healthy things and blah blah blah, but that depends on your goals. I came to this site to get big, and all the advice from the big guys on the site is the advice I said above.

So I should just eat whatever, including junk food, as long as I eat it in big portions to gain weight?

bass slayer
07-10-2009, 08:09 AM
Eat as clean as possible, but just worry about getting your calories in for the day. Google macro nutrients and find out how much you need in a day.

Unreal
07-10-2009, 08:16 AM
Anyone serious about weightlifting should have a set nutrition/diet plan. A diet isn't something just to lose weight. You have a diet to gain or maintain. You need to plan one out if you want to be dedicated to this. If soda or some junk food fits into your diet plan, then go for it, but I wouldn't just eat whatever and as much as you can to gain weight.

NY Rob
07-10-2009, 09:48 AM
If your only concern is the effect that it has on your body externally, then as has been stated, if it fits in with your macros then go for it.

If you are actually concerned about the health risks associated with it, I would advise against it. Between the artificial chemicals and in the case of diet soda, the aspartame, I would say you are much better off drinking water. It is also laying a good foundation for the future.

evilxxx
07-10-2009, 10:21 AM
You should be ok to have at least a can of soda a day , or start by cutting all junk food you are eating right now in half. When i decided to cut my soda out i went from 7-8 Mt dews a day to 1-2 and 2 weeks later my energy started to go up. Definitely eat healthy and drink milk. I hate milk but i drink a 16oz glass with chocolate quick at night.

Sensei
07-10-2009, 10:31 AM
Eat well and eat plenty.

Soda - a little is okay, but if you're like me "a little" quickly turns into several 20oz. bottles/day... Doesn't matter if it's 'Diet cola' or not, it's not the best for you.

jAy_Dub
07-10-2009, 10:35 AM

Whats your definition of big? Because whatever it is, its a very very FAT big.

T2ThaJoyal, please do not listen to this nonsense advice. If you want to be fat then go for it, but if you actually care about how you look in the mirror then eat right. Just because you lift weights doesnt mean you should eat like a fatass slob. Read the stickies up top in this section and pick out foods from that list you like and eat a lot of it. But please, for your own sake, dont think you should eat like crap just because its the easy thing to do and because some random person on a internet forum told you to do it.

samadhi_smiles
07-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Anyone serious about weightlifting should have a set nutrition/diet plan. A diet isn't something just to lose weight. You have a diet to gain or maintain. You need to plan one out if you want to be dedicated to this. If soda or some junk food fits into your diet plan, then go for it, but I wouldn't just eat whatever and as much as you can to gain weight.

disagree. Your maintenance fluctuates every day depending on what you are doing. I eat by my hunger not by some schedule.

samadhi_smiles
07-10-2009, 10:52 AM

T2ThaJoyal, please do not listen to this nonsense advice. If you want to be fat then go for it, but if you actually care about how you look in the mirror then eat right. Just because you lift weights doesnt mean you should eat like a fatass slob. Read the stickies up top in this section and pick out foods from that list you like and eat a lot of it. But please, for your own sake, dont think you should eat like crap just because its the easy thing to do and because some random person on a internet forum told you to do it.
good post. IMO there are way too many 'highschool football players' (thats a euphemism there kiddos :thumbup:) on this site endorsing fatass slob dietary habits.

malkore
07-10-2009, 11:40 AM
ANother good reason to ditch soda: do you like having teeth? Cuz they've proven over and over the sugary and acidic nature of soda is horrible on teeth.

McLaughlin
07-10-2009, 01:11 PM

That's right I forgot wbb is wanna body build now not wanna be big.

To the OP - sorry to give such **** advice, I forgot what site I was on.

jAy_Dub
07-10-2009, 01:41 PM
That's right I forgot wbb is wanna body build now not wanna be FAT.

To the OP - sorry to give such **** advice, I forgot what site I was on.

I fixed that for you. Thanks for understanding.

Unreal
07-10-2009, 02:06 PM
disagree. Your maintenance fluctuates every day depending on what you are doing. I eat by my hunger not by some schedule.

Yes it does but if you maintain a proper diet then the consistency will pay off. If some days you are 200 cals over and other days 700 then it will all work out. For some people, they can eat like you, but if I ate by hunger I would once again be a 320lb fatass with a 46" waist and 40%+ bodyfat. That is what eating by hunger got me. I now weigh 200lbs and have nice abs so I'll continue to eat by a diet plan.

T2ThaJoyal
07-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Um...I'm not sure if I've gotten a direct answer on what I should do. I need to gain weight and convert it to muscle, so should I just eat snacks (without going over board) and whenever I have meals I should have lots of portions? Or should I eat healthy with meats and stuff and forget about snacks and soda entirely?

dumbbell
07-10-2009, 04:04 PM
If your goal is to gain muscular weight then drinking soda does nothing to help achieve this goal. The soda is full of "empty" calories. Basically, it's pure sugar. You would be better served spending those calories more wisely on something to fuel your muscle building. Better choices would be milk (protein, fat, and carbs) or water (quenches thirst).

That being said, you do need to be consuming a calorie surplus to gain any weight. A good rule of thumb to follow is 90% clean food (unprocessed and as close to their natural state as possible) and 10% whatever. The 10% crap you eat isn't enough to make or break your muscle gains. It may also help to keep you in a calorie surplus as well as maintaining sanity. Now is the perfect time for you to establish healthy eating habits that YOU CAN (and will) LIVE WITH for the rest of your life. Good luck with your goals.

Justin R
07-10-2009, 05:33 PM
Your young and your just starting out, you dont need a complicated diet right now. You should be able to make great gains with a few basic principles.

Find your maintenance calories, eat around 500 cals over maintenance, more if you have a very high metabolism. Eat clean: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46565 Eat at least 1g of protein per lbs of bodyweight. Cheating(soda, junk food, etc) occasionally will help you stay focused on eating clean, but don't over do it. Take a multi and creatine if you want, but its not necessary. forget other supplements. LIFT HEAVY. I recommend Starting Strength, do some GPP/mobility/skill training to prep for lacrosse, and get plenty of sleep. If you stop making gains, up your cals via more protein.

If you stick with it till next spring you should be able to easily put on up to 20 lbs of lean muscle, lower your body fat and increase your agility/endurance considerably.

Good luck:thumbup: