PDA

View Full Version : Sumo knee pain

bluelew
07-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Just switched over to sumo style. I feel much stronger this way but I get a weird pain on the side of both kneecaps. The pain is on the inside/front part of my knee just inside the patella (as opposed to the outside). Is this a shoe problem or foot placement problem? Any help appreciated.

slashkills
07-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Try pointing your toes outward towards the plates more if your not already. I had something like this before for a little while and fixed it with some hip and hamstring stretches.

bluelew
07-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Tried different foot placement with no real difference. Stretching might help- thanks.

NickAus
07-10-2009, 05:21 AM
I had this same problem and could never fix it, I stuck with con deadlifts which I can pull more in anyway.
I just did not think it was worth damaging my knees, may give them a try in the future.
Hope you can find a way.

Virtron
07-10-2009, 06:51 AM
I had a similar issue. For me it was an issue where my knees would buckle in slightly. Try pushing the knees out more. I used a box with no weight and did really wife box squats

fulldaddy
07-10-2009, 06:59 AM
bluelew,

A knee injury force me to go to sumo's from conventional and I had that same problem for about 3 weeks but it did go away. I just thought that the movement was placing demands on areas that never really had a great deal of force applied to them and they would quickly adapt. That was the case for me. I did experiment a lot trying to find a comfortable "stance" so to speak.

I am back to deadlifting conventional (thank the Lord) but having to do 2 meets sumo was good experience for me.

bluelew
07-10-2009, 08:43 AM
I had a similar issue. For me it was an issue where my knees would buckle in slightly. Try pushing the knees out more. I used a box with no weight and did really wife box squats

I'll give this a whirl next time. Gonna try different shoes as well.

bluelew
07-17-2009, 02:04 PM
DL in surf shoes and spent time stretching the knee and quad prior. Also pointed toes more. No pain :study: