PDA

View Full Version : Bigger stronger faster, the movie

SGT ROCK
07-11-2009, 12:25 AM
Yeah I know I know, it has been out forever. I was at the local blockbuster and saw it, and it was in so of course I rented it. I have watched it several times and consider it a MUST SEE for all powerlifters. If you go to the SCENE SELECTION in the disc menu, there is a scene entitled WESTSIDE BARBELL, that is one of my favorite scenes in the movie. On a sad note, my prayers go out to the Bell family and their friends for the loss of Mad Dog (again I know it wasn't extremely recent, but it made me think about how painful the loss must be). I think if you are honest with yourself, there is a little bit of him in all of us powerlifters. I really enjoyed the movie and it was great to see BOTH sides of the arguement given pretty much equal time, with doctors and true knowledgable people being able to express their opinions. I am going to take the time and get out to SUPERTRAINING GYM sometime as well. To reiterate, just a GREAT movie, rent it and see for yourself.

Semper Fi

Clifford Gillmore
07-11-2009, 12:45 AM
I've only just seen it recently too, very cool movie. Its pretty biased IMO, all I wanted to do after watching was get my genes doped!

Big Jay
07-11-2009, 06:21 AM
great movie.
have you saw power unlimited? its another good one about powerlifting.

Rob Luyando
07-11-2009, 07:21 AM
I watched it for first time just weeks after Mad Dog passed away. It was a pretty touching movie for me cause I can relate in so many ways. Also being good friends with Mark Bell made it even harder to watch. The loss of a loved one is never easy.

Check out Super Training Gym store. They are selling Mad Dog t-shirts that are bad ass!

Buccos1
07-11-2009, 07:46 AM
This is a great, great movie! I loved seeing the archived footage from when they were kids and some of the old wrestling footage.

BigTallOx
07-11-2009, 08:22 AM
all I wanted to do after watching was get my genes doped!

LOL, same here.

Team supertraining's "never enough" and "never enough bench" are also very informative/good DVD's.

Brian Hopper
07-11-2009, 08:29 AM
I thought it was a good movie myself.

mosley1990
07-11-2009, 09:37 AM
I havent watched all of it yet. Ive watched maybe the first 45 min or so and i was diggin it lol. Ive watched power unlimited 2-3 times and get excited everytime. It makes me want to train so bad.

Virtron
07-12-2009, 08:19 AM
I just watched it. To be honest, I was disappointed. Regardless of health effects, I think its cheating. It makes you wonder if there is any sense competing at all since you don't have a fair chance anyway.

Lones Green
07-12-2009, 08:32 AM
I just watched it. To be honest, I was disappointed. Regardless of health effects, I think its cheating. It makes you wonder if there is any sense competing at all since you don't have a fair chance anyway.

Its like today's gear. Its here to stay and there is nothing you can do about it.

However, you do not NEED steroids to compete with the best.

Virtron
07-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Its like today's gear. Its here to stay and there is nothing you can do about it.

However, you do not NEED steroids to compete with the best.

Gear is one thing. Its like take another sport. My wife is a tennis player. Gear would be the right shoes and racket and strings. That's one thing, but becoming super human. I mean I know there is nothing I can do about it. This doesn't change my goals. I would still like to compete with anyone. If I beat someone on steroids that would just make the victory sweeter. You know what I mean?

Sidior
07-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Gear is one thing. Its like take another sport. My wife is a tennis player. Gear would be the right shoes and racket and strings. That's one thing, but becoming super human. I mean I know there is nothing I can do about it. This doesn't change my goals. I would still like to compete with anyone. If I beat someone on steroids that would just make the victory sweeter. You know what I mean?

Using AAS is just another aspect of sacrifice and reward when it comes to training. The more seriously people take their sport the more they sacrifice, be it free time or fun activities, money, or food choices. Using AAS is sacrificing (or at least risking) your health to possibly recover faster or be stronger.

I don't see how beating someone that risks so much to better themselves is any sweeter then beating someone who would rather not use.

Virtron
07-12-2009, 01:06 PM
Using AAS is just another aspect of sacrifice and reward when it comes to training. The more seriously people take their sport the more they sacrifice, be it free time or fun activities, money, or food choices. Using AAS is sacrificing (or at least risking) your health to possibly recover faster or be stronger.

I don't see how beating someone that risks so much to better themselves is any sweeter then beating someone who would rather not use.

The same way that a RAW lifter is more revered IMO then one with gear. I mean take genetic engineering. Say I have a kid with my wife and we decided to dish out tons of money to change his genetics so that he gets crazy strong from whatever. This would make him superhuman. Now at first its weird but then other parents do it and you have a lot of kids like that. What I'm saying is steroids, genetic engineering, gear, etc. its all an advantage. It should have its own division. You know what I mean? Like we have RAW meets and those that have equipment. So, why not have meets that are truly drug-free and those with people on steroids. That would make it fair. Again I have no problem with Mr. X using steroids. I just think its unfair if he competes with Mr. Y with no steroids.

Clifford Gillmore
07-12-2009, 01:21 PM
The same way that a RAW lifter is more revered IMO then one with gear. I mean take genetic engineering. Say I have a kid with my wife and we decided to dish out tons of money to change his genetics so that he gets crazy strong from whatever. This would make him superhuman. Now at first its weird but then other parents do it and you have a lot of kids like that. What I'm saying is steroids, genetic engineering, gear, etc. its all an advantage. It should have its own division. You know what I mean? Like we have RAW meets and those that have equipment. So, why not have meets that are truly drug-free and those with people on steroids. That would make it fair. Again I have no problem with Mr. X using steroids. I just think its unfair if he competes with Mr. Y with no steroids.

You really have no idea what your talking about on this one, I STRONGLY suggest you learn a little more about things before you form strong opinions on them. Go and put on a bench shirt and bench 150% of your 1RM, go and run a cycle of Test and magically total elite. There are tested divisions, and there are non-tested divisions - you should really learn about this sport if you plan to compete.

You've actually made me very pissed off, I'm sick of people stating advantages of these 'magical things' that work like miracles.

Big Jay
07-12-2009, 01:40 PM
So, why not have meets that are truly drug-free and those with people on steroids. That would make it fair.
ask and you shall recieve...

There are tested divisions, and there are non-tested divisions

JasonLift
07-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Well it will be easy to jump on his case but I can understand both sides. Me personally I don't care, I am drug free, but will compete against anyone, and it makes it no sweeter if I out lift someone who is a saint or someone who uses gear.

Whether its AAS, lifting gear, arch vs. flat back benching, sumo vs. conventional, etc. it doesn't matter. People will argue and complain about anything. I could care less, I just want to lift. I am competing against myself any ways.

Back on topic. It was a great film. First one I remember seeing being unbiased and actually calling out all the hypocrites out there. Why is it okay for some old woman to use test for clear skin but not okay for someone to use it to train harder.

Oh, and I felt real sad for the boy who killed himself, but his father really needs to stop blaming AAS and start looking it the other issues that were surrounding that kid.

Ryano
07-12-2009, 04:12 PM
Whether its AAS, lifting gear, arch vs. flat back benching, sumo vs. conventional, etc. it doesn't matter. People will argue and complain about anything. I could care less, I just want to lift. I am competing against myself any ways.

Well said. Just try to hit a PR at every meet. If someone outlifts you, congratulate them and use it for motivation to improve.

Rob Luyando
07-12-2009, 04:22 PM
News Flash........ Dunkin Donuts just came out with a new cream filled donut that put 20lbs on my body weight and 100 lbs on my bench. Is that cheating?

Ryano
07-12-2009, 04:47 PM
News Flash........ Dunkin Donuts just came out with a new cream filled donut that put 20lbs on my body weight and 100 lbs on my bench. Is that cheating?

Buttweiser did that for me... at least the 40 lbs body weight part. It improved my arch and shortened my ROM by 2". As long as the weight locks out, who give a S(*&!

chris mason
07-12-2009, 05:04 PM

You bastard!

TankofZenzenBB
07-12-2009, 05:11 PM

WTF they didn't advertise anything like that. I saw over weekend, McDonalds is having the hamburgers and cheeseburgers dirt cheap this Wednesday, looks like 20 cheeseburgers for lunch for me. on the side note, i just got done watching this again. i might show this as a part of my project in college if i ever do a presentation on steroids.

chris mason
07-12-2009, 06:48 PM
Is there somewhere I can pay to download the movie?

twm
07-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Chris, if you have netflix, you can stream it instantly

Clifford Gillmore
07-12-2009, 11:16 PM
Is there somewhere I can pay to download the movie?

On that note, where can I buy powerunlimited.

BFGUITAR
07-13-2009, 12:21 AM
Coffee is proven to increase alertness and awareness. If I drink a cup of coffee before my exam, am I cheating? I took a performance enhancing drug to do better on my exam. The fact is, no matter how much coffee I drink, if I don't prepare myself by studying hard and actually knowing what I am doing I will fail. AAS is no different in my opinion. It's not magic. I personally don't have a reason to take it but I respect those who do take it safely.

And the film was good. It gave me an inside perspective.

Gable
07-13-2009, 07:42 AM

Then you should compete in a Federation that tests.

End of story.

SGT ROCK - It was an excellent movie. Very honest, and very real. I re-watch it all the time.

Big Jay
07-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Coffee is proven to increase alertness and awareness. If I drink a cup of coffee before my exam, am I cheating? I took a performance enhancing drug to do better on my exam. The fact is, no matter how much coffee I drink, if I don't prepare myself by studying hard and actually knowing what I am doing I will fail. AAS is no different in my opinion.
very well put.

Tom Mutaffis
07-13-2009, 02:07 PM
Coffee is proven to increase alertness and awareness. If I drink a cup of coffee before my exam, am I cheating? I took a performance enhancing drug to do better on my exam. The fact is, no matter how much coffee I drink, if I don't prepare myself by studying hard and actually knowing what I am doing I will fail. AAS is no different in my opinion. It's not magic. I personally don't have a reason to take it but I respect those who do take it safely.

And the film was good. It gave me an inside perspective.

What about those of us who would work just as hard and might be limited by not drinking coffee, for whatever personal reason?

Just something to think about.

Strength sports are always going to have use / abuse of performance enhancers. Some guys take it too far while others are very reasonable in their utilization of these substances. I would not commend an individual for using, but would also not look down upon it. Enhanced athletes do still work hard, although they may not have to work as hard or as smart as a natural athlete. There are people who take performance enhancers simply to allow them to train more and to be able to recover, but again that is not something that they could do naturally - so it is something to think about.

Tested federations are out there, but they are definitely not the most popular for a number of reasons. I would say that the Olympic stage is the biggest natural sporting event and even there it is questionable and plagued with performance enhancer infractions.

Either way it is a personal choice and I don't care what others decide to do to themselves, but I do recognize the difference. I will leave off with a quote from a good friend of mine... “How we do what we do is more important than the results of our endeavors”.

MarcusWild
07-13-2009, 02:51 PM
I thought the strength gains associated with AAS use are 10% or less? Unless you're clean and within 10% of the all-time WR, then you can't really complain about someone else's AAS use as the reason you aren't a WR holder. Being clean is used as an excuse to cover for deficiencies in nutrition, programming, technique, recovery etc. It's a lot easier to blame someone else's AAS use than things you can control and should be fixing.

antknee
07-13-2009, 02:56 PM
chris, just remind me this week and ill bring it over--

Big Jay
07-13-2009, 03:07 PM
“How we do what we do is more important than the results of our endeavors”.
guess i have very different morals... i believe the end always justifies the means lol

I know very little on the subject, however i'll give my view.
The way i see it is some people are just so determined to reach their goals they are willing to make sacrifices in life to get there (relationships, financial, health etc).

2 powerlifting twins (A and B) of equal strength. Twin A, quits his job, leaves their home town, goes to Columbus Ohio and trains at Westside, spends all his money on Atlarge Nutrition and high quantities of quality food. While twin B works his long hours in construction, can’t afford any supps or a lot of extra food, because he’s saving up to get married, and works out by himself in his mediocre basement gym. After 1 year, twin A will be a far better powerlifter. Did he cheat? Is there a problem with morals? No.

To me it’s the same if Twin A had made potential long term health sacrifices and started using steroids to push closer to his goals. Just because twin B didn't want it as bad as twin A and didn't want to make those sacrifices, doesn't mean twin A is a cheater or did anything wrong.

chris mason
07-13-2009, 05:07 PM
chris, just remind me this week and ill bring it over--

No you wont! :fart: