PDA

View Full Version : Just not putting on weight!

Insanodano
07-11-2009, 06:09 AM
Ok I have been going to the gym for about a year now. When I started I was 67kg's (145ish lbs). I have always been lean and never had any fat on me regardless of what I eat and somehow I have definitely put on muscle but still weigh the same! How can I put on weight and make it go to the right place.

My diet consists of alot of carbs and alot of protein. (Maybe not as much as I should but it's there)

I go to the gym about 3 - 5 times a week and left to build and tone! Anyone got any advice?

Thanks

ELmx479
07-11-2009, 06:14 AM
Figure out how many calories you are eating now and increase the amount by 500 a day. Lift hard and rest, see what happens in a month. If no change increase another 500 calories a day. Make sure you get at least 150 grams of protein a day also.

Edit- not sure what you lifting routine is like but I would suggest following a good routine like Starting Strength.

Insanodano
07-11-2009, 06:42 AM
Thanks. i reckon I could manage that! Is it possible that I am lifting wrong? I heard someone talking about time your muscle is under tension (TUT). I do my reps quite quickly. This guy was talking about a 2.2.4 ratio. 2 secs for the lift, hold for 2 then 4 secs down. tried and tested?

Big Jay
07-11-2009, 07:33 AM
yeah your just not eating enough... simple as that.
count your calorie intake to see how much your getting everyday.
as ELmx479 said, add 500 cals and see how it goes, if you don't gain weight, add another 500 cals.
you may find http://www.fitday.com/ helpful to count them.
also do alot of reading on here and see what other people are eating.

whats your weekly workout like?

Insanodano
07-11-2009, 07:40 AM
Ok thanks I am well up for eating more. To be honest I have always thought the amount I eat has been a bad thing cause I eat alot! I'm reading up on what exactly to eat cause I don't wanna be eating to much of the wrong stuff!

Like I said 3 - 5 days a week. I have 3 jobs so it's pretty much whenever I can fit it in. Like last night I did shoulders at 9pm after 12 hour shift! I do these drop sets a guy who used to own a gym told me.

3 set of 8 max weight

drop 5kg

3 sets of 10

drop 5kg

3 sets of 12

drop 5kg

2 sets of 15

drop maybe 10kg

then finish it off with i set of 30

LuNa
07-11-2009, 07:56 AM
Thats not a routine... There was no exercise mentioned in there. More information would be helpful. Information like the kind of exercises you are doing. Also track your calories with fitday as mentioned before because a lot of people think they eat a lot, but in reality it is not all that much. Good luck!

Insanodano
07-11-2009, 08:06 AM
lol ok sorry. I pretty much do that with all exercises but ike I said, 3 jobs so I have no strict routine. What I do pretty much depends on what I have done in my last session. Like I leave it a day at least before I do chest, arms, shoulders, legs again. I know I really should have a proper routine but in Sept I start my new job (8 - 4!!!) so I can get into a proper routine.