PDA

View Full Version : Best Power Rack for under $600

Brian999
07-11-2009, 04:49 PM
Im in the process of trying to make my home gym in the garage. Im looking for a power rack that I can squat and also BP in, I've checked craigslist in my area for quite some time now. I've seen a few but they're VERY old, and dont look too good. I did pick up some 45lb plates though for only $10 :) I dont want to spend too much, does anybody know of any good websites that sell good ones at a reasonable price (under $600)? I'd be willing to pay for shipping. Or any places that sell some in CA? Im hoping to pick up a rack, in the next 3 months, since my gym membership ends in 3 months. Thanks in advance everybody!

Ben Moore
07-11-2009, 04:53 PM
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=167&pid=9

Keep an eye out for the free shipping deals they run pretty often. It's over the $600 mark you mentioned but you won't be dissappointed.

Pete22
07-11-2009, 05:12 PM
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=167&pid=9

Keep an eye out for the free shipping deals they run pretty often. It's over the $600 mark you mentioned but you won't be dissappointed.

This. I bought a cheaper rack, and it does the job, but I wish I would've saved up and gotten an EFS rack. However, those free shipping deals Ben mentioned don't include the heavier stuff like racks and such, only UPS ground eligible things.

shawno
07-11-2009, 07:05 PM
I'd love one of those Elite racks but my Powertec rack does the job. Comes with dip & chin attachments which is nice. New York Barbell has some reasonably priced as well.

WillNoble
07-11-2009, 07:54 PM
This. I bought a cheaper rack, and it does the job, but I wish I would've saved up and gotten an EFS rack. However, those free shipping deals Ben mentioned don't include the heavier stuff like racks and such, only UPS ground eligible things.

yeah but they run specials on their equip from time to time, that will really make it worth your while, Ive trained in many a EFS rack, they are the best $ can buy

Travis Bell
07-11-2009, 08:03 PM
I have a Westside rack, but the Elite rack is very very similar to it. Don't settle for anything less, it's well worth the wait.

You can cut corners on a lot of the other equipment, but a rack needs to be the best piece you have in the gym when starting. The 1" spacing alone is such a huge asset, but the tubing is also very high quality

I've seen over 1,000lbs just dropped on the pins of the Westside rack repeateadly and it doesn't even phase it.

As for the Elite specials, they do run them for the equipment, but it's not free shipping. Dave would lose thousands if he did that, I do think it's somewhat discounted so he's not making money off it, but no matter what, heavy stuff does cost you to ship

johnnyo_99
07-11-2009, 10:30 PM
for the elite rack need to also consider building a platform to bolt it to, or anchor it into the concrete.

i can also attest, i purchased a new york barbells rack, although it does get the job done I wish i had spent extra and gotten the elite rack...

Cmanuel
07-12-2009, 09:36 AM
For anyone that cares, that particular elite racks is made by Williams strength out of Columbia south carolina. They actually make a lot of their stuff. Anyways I've picked up some equipment from them before when I lived in south carolina and was very impressed with their facility.

A couple notes: if you are buying a 2x2 rack you absolutely have to bolt it down to a platform. You can get away without bolting a 3x3 rack down.

I would try contacting Williams strength directly to see if they have any demo or used racks. They often have very very good deals on used equipment.

Brian999
07-12-2009, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the help everybody! Im looking into the elite rack, I guess since this would be an investment it might be worth it.

For anyone that cares, that particular elite racks is made by Williams strength out of Columbia south carolina. They actually make a lot of their stuff. Anyways I've picked up some equipment from them before when I lived in south carolina and was very impressed with their facility.

A couple notes: if you are buying a 2x2 rack you absolutely have to bolt it down to a platform. You can get away without bolting a 3x3 rack down.

I would try contacting Williams strength directly to see if they have any demo or used racks. They often have very very good deals on used equipment.

I checked there website out, they have some nice racks but they dont have the elite rack available on the site. Would I have to contact them directly about the elite rack? If I could save a couple bucks on a used one that would be great.

About bolting the rack, could I bolt it to the ground since its a garage floor? Or should I use some of those gym mats then bolt it through them and the concrete? I see stuff bolted through the mats at the gym.

Thanks!

Cmanuel
07-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Hmmm, guess the elite base rack is a custom product designed for elite only. I know they make it for elite, I took a little tour of the shop and saw several of them. I guess its just not offered in the Williams strength product line. It'll probably have to be ordered from elitefts

Anyways that's where my vote goes.

MarcusWild
07-12-2009, 12:24 PM
If you can bolt into the concrete that works. That or put down 2 sheets of plywood, put the mat on top, and screw the rack down to the plywood.

Gable
07-12-2009, 05:29 PM
Texas Strength Systems rack -

http://www.texasstrengthsystems.com/powerracks.html

Tough as hell, 1" adjustment, and very customizable. I love mine.

johnnyo_99
07-12-2009, 06:06 PM
Texas Strength Systems rack -

http://www.texasstrengthsystems.com/powerracks.html

Tough as hell, 1" adjustment, and very customizable. I love mine.

is TX strength systems in san antonio?

Gable
07-12-2009, 07:00 PM
is TX strength systems in san antonio?

Yes sir.

San Antonio, Texas.

Tim K
07-13-2009, 08:46 AM
I bought a used 3" rack from Williams Strength and couldn't be happier. It is possible to luck out on a rack that has 1" adjustments, but those are rare finds. An Elite rack or Williams - either way you'll be happy.

Williams will build to order.

Tom Mutaffis
07-13-2009, 09:26 AM
For home gym training a Body Solid rack is the way to go. They have a bit smaller dimensions but very sturdy construction and will only run you about $450. The rack comes with a lifetime warrenty as well.

I own one and so does one of my training partners, guys there have squatted 600+, benched 700, and rack pulled 800+ in the rank without any problems. It also has a good chinning bar as a part of the rack which is part of the reason that I bought it.

The body solid is a bit better construction than the NY Barbell / TDS ones, and you might even be able to find a used one somewhere on Ebay or Craigslist. Sometimes you can even get a commercial rack in your price range if you keep an eye out for deals.

Tim K
07-13-2009, 09:27 AM
For home gym training a Body Solid rack is the way to go. They have a bit smaller dimensions but very sturdy construction and will only run you about $450. The rack comes with a lifetime warrenty as well.

Looks like a decent rack for a good price.

suprfast
07-13-2009, 10:13 AM
I just picked up a Powertec power rack for 499.00 locally. They price matched amazon who has the powertec power rack for 499 shipped. Its a nice rack, and even nicer for the money. 2x19mm wrenches are all you will need to assemble. I was shorted 7 washers, but i picked them up for .99 at osh. It has been a delight to use so far. Im not a 1000lb lifter so its up to the task of what i have to throw at it.

Buccos1
07-13-2009, 12:12 PM
I've have a BodySolid rack (< 500) for about a year and 1/2 and have done almost everything in it and have had no problems. The commercial one I have is a little close at the bottom though for wide squatting and the hooks are a little tough getting used to.

evilxxx
07-13-2009, 12:51 PM
http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/92563.html good deal but the spacing of the holes is in 2 inch increments

Brian999
07-13-2009, 07:10 PM

I own one and so does one of my training partners, guys there have squatted 600+, benched 700, and rack pulled 800+ in the rank without any problems. It also has a good chinning bar as a part of the rack which is part of the reason that I bought it.

The body solid is a bit better construction than the NY Barbell / TDS ones, and you might even be able to find a used one somewhere on Ebay or Craigslist. Sometimes you can even get a commercial rack in your price range if you keep an eye out for deals.

Thanks for the info! Is this the rack: http://www.gymcor.com/pobosopora.html ? I just saw the same one cheaper on ebay, I was skeptical on its quality, but Im not anymore. If thats the rack, let me know, hopefully I could cop it at a good price!

Clifford Gillmore
07-13-2009, 07:25 PM
If I had EFS rack I would Bemch and deadlift far more, those band pegs come in handy!