PDA

View Full Version : bench press anomaly

sandcracker21
07-12-2009, 07:17 PM
a little background...i did Rippetoes SS routine for a few months about a year ago, then i made my own 4 day split around the 4 major lifts (bench, squat, OH press, and deadlifts) doing 5x5 with several accessory lifts as well

I do linear progression in my split, that is, i try to go up 5lbs every cycle on my major lifts

my squats and deadlifts are still going up well, OH press is going up but VERY SLOWLY, however, my flat bench is 100% STALLED and even seems to be going DOWN!

here are some numbers: i can do 195 5x5 on flat bench but cant even get the third set up when i try 200 5x5....BUT HERES THE KILLER!!!! I CAN DO 205 5X5 ON INCLINE BENCH???

my chest accesory lifts are stalled as well (skulls, dips, etc.) except for flys...my flys are getting stronger still

first of all....thanks for reading all this, but what the hell is wrong with me? this has been happening for about 2-3 months now

sandcracker21
07-12-2009, 07:27 PM
here is my chest split by the way with recent numbers

flat bench 5x5 heavy (200)
incline bench 2 x failure (140)
skull crushers 4 x 8
flys 4 x 10
dips 4 x failure
cable chest press 4 x 10

note: every other time i switch flat and inclined bench up so it would be 5x5 on incline and 2 burnouts on flat the next time

Lones Green
07-12-2009, 07:37 PM
I'd change your routine.

Tim K
07-13-2009, 08:40 AM
I'd change your routine.

To something that works. There are a couple of good routines out there. No need to change a thing in them. Plug in your numbers and go.

sandcracker21
07-13-2009, 03:04 PM
well, i hate to break it to ya, but my routine does in fact 'work' ...i made it after reading both starting strength and practical programing by mark rippetoe and its a solid routine based upon the 4-5 core barebell powerlifts

everythign else is progressing, by my bench seems to be going BACKWARDS almost

Tim K
07-13-2009, 03:18 PM
well, i hate to break it to ya, but my routine does in fact 'work' ...i made it after reading both starting strength and practical programing by mark rippetoe and its a solid routine based upon the 4-5 core barebell powerlifts

everythign else is progressing, by my bench seems to be going BACKWARDS almost

If your bench is not progressing or going backward, your program is NOT working. You need to do a bit better job on your homework. I'm off to hit Jim Wendler's program - which does work.

Optimum08
07-13-2009, 03:18 PM
Try not going to failure every week. Going to failure on any exercise (especially a compound) is a supposed to be used very infrequently so as to avoid CNS fatigue.

And your routine obviously NOT working for bench, unless you consider stagnation progress.

How long have you been lifting consistently?

Nate IRL
07-13-2009, 03:41 PM
benching to failure as in not being able to complete a set?

sandcracker21
07-13-2009, 03:48 PM
benching to failure as in not being able to complete a set?

till failure refers to the two sets of either incline or flat that i do depending on the cycle everytime....two 'burnouts' every chest day is too much ?

as far as lifting consistently, i took about 24 months off...so i dont count what i did before this 'slip' in my life .... therefore i have been lifting consistently for about 18 months again since

barbell01
07-13-2009, 04:05 PM
dont do flys, and dont do cable press'. switch up your asscessory stuff with different variations of tri. exts.

chris mason
07-13-2009, 06:21 PM
This drives me nuts!

I have written a program that MANY, MANY people have tried and gotten excellent results from. It is specifically for your bench, but trains the entire body. I can virtually guarantee you a 20 lbs increase in your 1RM bench within 30 days if you do the program exactly as outlined. You can download it here: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113583

sandcracker21
07-13-2009, 06:40 PM
This drives me nuts!

I have written a program that MANY, MANY people have tried and gotten excellent results from. It is specifically for your bench, but trains the entire body. I can virtually guarantee you a 20 lbs increase in your 1RM bench within 30 days if you do the program exactly as outlined. You can download it here: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113583

too late, already did this program, lol

i tried it out shortly after SS while i was still working on my personal split, bench max actually did go up too

chris mason
07-13-2009, 06:58 PM
too late, already did this program, lol

i tried it out shortly after SS while i was still working on my personal split, bench max actually did go up too

Ahh, cool. You know if you have not done it for a while you can give it another roll.

Tim K
07-13-2009, 07:00 PM
This drives me nuts!

Chris,

Don't beat your head against the proverbial brick wall. The wall will always win.

Sandcracker,

Until you have some solid years under your belt, you really don't have that much time under the bar. You lack experience, and judging from your routine, knowledge. There are a few people here that will pat you on the back and make nice noises, but I'm not one of them.

Your routine sucks. It doesn't make sense and isn't very complete. You came here looking for help but you refuse to listen. That in and of itself is irritating. Every few days or so the same questions keep popping up, the same attitudes, the same BS.

The search engine is your friend. Use it.

What are you hoping to accomplish with the skull crushers, cable flys, and cable chest presses? What do you believe all that work is going to do for you? If you can't explain it, then stop doing it! You're doing two exercises to failure. Why? How do you think training to failure is going to improve your bench?

Find the answers to those questions and you'll figure out why your routine blows chunks.

sandcracker21
07-13-2009, 07:11 PM
this is what i need ^^ i appreciate that criticism

as far as the 'till failure' aspect of the question posed, i am doing dips till failure at the recomendation of rippetoe in practical programming, the incline till fail as an experiment to my split to get 'unstuck'

i am doing the cable chest press as another experiement as an assistance exercise to my bench, but its clearly not working since it hasnt got me 'unstuck' either

im not that 'lost' with my split i made since my squat keeps going up and does does my deads...but i am ALWAYS open to a new and maybe 'better' way to look at lifting

as far as being unexperience, this is not true, i lifted for 5-6 years, then like i said i had a 'bump' in the road of my life, and almost 2 years went by with no gym, after that i got back into it with SS about 18 months ago or so, and i have never been an accomplished bencher in my life, its always been my weak point, my 1rm right now is 235-240 ....poor in other words

Tim K
07-13-2009, 07:27 PM
this is what i need ^^ i appreciate that criticism

as far as the 'till failure' aspect of the question posed, i am doing dips till failure at the recomendation of rippetoe in practical programming, the incline till fail as an experiment to my split to get 'unstuck'

i am doing the cable chest press as another experiement as an assistance exercise to my bench, but its clearly not working since it hasnt got me 'unstuck' either

im not that 'lost' with my split i made since my squat keeps going up and does does my deads...but i am ALWAYS open to a new and maybe 'better' way to look at lifting

as far as being unexperience, this is not true, i lifted for 5-6 years, then like i said i had a 'bump' in the road of my life, and almost 2 years went by with no gym, after that i got back into it with SS about 18 months ago or so, and i have never been an acomplished bencher in my life, its always been my weak point, my 1rm right now is 235-240 ....poor in other words

Now your learning and starting to think!

flat bench 5x5 heavy (200)
incline bench 3 x 10 (140)
dips 3 x 10 - add weight if needed
skull crushers 4 x 8

Cut back on the amount of work you're doing. Concentrate on the lifts and accessory exercises that will help your bench the most. When do you train back? Lats, traps, etc., play a big roll in a big bench.

sandcracker21
07-13-2009, 07:41 PM
thanks you for the quick response

acutally my split goes a little like this:

Chest/Tri - main compound lift is bench
Back/Bi - main compound lift is deadlifts
Shoulders - main compoud lift is OH press
Lower body - main compound lift is squat

i will then have 4 or so accessory lifts after i start the day with my main compound lift, which is ALWAYS a 5x5
accessory work is usualy a 4 x 8 or a 4x10

as far as when i do them, its always different because of my work schedual..but i usualy in the gym 4 days a week...i try to get a good amount of 'rest' since this is a lot of hard lifting

robchris
07-13-2009, 08:32 PM
Sand,
Have you tried the 5/3/1 routine?(I think Tim mentioned this) This is a great program brother! It helped me manage my intensity so I didnt overtrain and all my lifts (the big 3) have been going up ever since... Give it a shot!

sandcracker21
07-14-2009, 06:20 AM
i have not...but im intrigued by it now, i can only seem to find Jim's ebook about this, no wiki, no writeups, and worst of all.....no paper book!

what basicly does it entail? i will buy the ebook but i want to get a feel for how this split works? for example i tried the texas method because i think mark rippetoe is gods gift to the earth (lol)...and i HATED it, it was soo boring i never wanted to lift! (well almost)

barbell01
07-14-2009, 06:32 AM
it's based on 4 lifts, bench,shoulderpress,squat,deadlift. buy the book.

Brian C
07-14-2009, 08:15 AM
5-3-1 ftw!

douglasoh5
07-14-2009, 09:15 AM
ya try 531.....

Hazerboy
07-14-2009, 01:22 PM
Christ, there is more than one way to use 5x5 man.

http://www.davedraper.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/18827/post/new/#NEW

Article written by dan john. Originally posted on t-nation though I can no longer find it there.

sandcracker21
07-14-2009, 03:47 PM
it's based on 4 lifts, bench,shoulderpress,squat,deadlift. buy the book.

very very detailed, thank you! :thumbup:

lol

barbell01
07-14-2009, 09:09 PM
very very detailed, thank you! :thumbup:

lol

it's complicated, i am not gonna read the book to you!:read::ninja:

gatorman2k6
07-14-2009, 10:12 PM
Another vote for 5/3/1. If you want an idea of how it works, check out the journal section because tons of people here are using it, including myself. Like barbell01 said, it's too complicated to just tell you and help Jim out by buying it because you won't regret it.

robchris
07-16-2009, 09:41 PM
Sand,

Briefly, It based on your 1RM for each of the main lifts mentioned above. You then calculate 90% of that number and base all your % off that...

Wave-1 65%-75%-85% 5x5x5 reps
Wave-2 70%-80%-90% 3x3x3 reps
Wave-3 75%-85%-95% 5x3x1 reps
Wave-4 40%-50%-60% 5x5x5 reps (Deload week)

Choose 2-accessory exercises per movement@ 3-5x 10-15 reps

I've been using it for approx. 3-months and have added weight to the bar on all my lifts... BTW, get the e-book, as there's a lot more info. well worth the 20 bucks!

Good luck! RC

Beefcaker
07-17-2009, 03:32 AM
oh em jee