PDA

View Full Version : Floor Presses

AFstud066
07-12-2009, 09:30 PM
I was going to start incorporating floor presses into my routine. Do you all do them on your bench day or tricep day or when do you do them if at all?
My schedule is M-bench/chest , T-delts, W-Legs, Th-Tris, Fri-Back

Travis Bell
07-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Are you doing this for powerlifting?

I'd assume yes since you posted it in the PL section, but I was just curious because you have 4 upper days and only one day for squats

AFstud066
07-13-2009, 06:44 AM
Ya. I am just doing bench an deadlift now so I am not really focusing on squats to much. In the winter and fall I usually switch over to two leg days.

Travis Bell
07-13-2009, 03:28 PM
Well I still thing your routine is a good bit overkill, but if you must stick with it, I'd put the floor presses as a max effort exercise on your bench day and as an ascessory exercise on your tricep day

barbell01
07-13-2009, 04:09 PM
squatting is good for your deadlift.

Matt Adams
07-13-2009, 06:55 PM
yes you should still do some sort of squatting.it works the posterior chain.just like the deadlift.i find low box squats really make my pulls explosive and really increase my hip strength

AFstud066
07-13-2009, 08:16 PM
yes you should still do some sort of squatting.it works the posterior chain.just like the deadlift.i find low box squats really make my pulls explosive and really increase my hip strength

Ok cool, I have been squatting doing just regular squats. Maybe my routine needs revamped. Maybe someone can give me some pointers. My bench is almost all triceps. I went did 425 for 5 today on bench and that is a PR for me and its only been 1 week since nationals so I am still a little sore. Maybe my routine is stale, I am just benching and deadlifting at worlds so maybe someone can throw me some tips. I never take deadlifting seriously and just walk in and pull 655 very easy and 683 I pulled it but tore a calus at lockout. Shoot me some pointers anyone that can help me out.

Guido
07-14-2009, 01:43 PM
I usually do floor presses either in lieu of regular bench max effort or after my regular bench as an assistance movement.

Tom Mutaffis
07-14-2009, 04:12 PM
If your bench is all triceps then floor presses or board presses are a good way to increase triceps strength.

Do you do any band / reverse band / chain work?

AFstud066
07-14-2009, 07:49 PM
No, I havent because none of the places I train at have them, I am going to pick some up when I go back to school for the semester. Should I get bands or chains? What would you suggest, what bands or chains should I get?

barbell01
07-14-2009, 09:06 PM
if you have to chosse, get bands. mini bands are great for everything. speed, banded pressdowns, banded tri ext., banded floorpress, etc....

Travis Bell
07-14-2009, 09:25 PM
Plus bands are much cheaper and easier to lug around

theBarzeen
07-15-2009, 10:32 AM
with short arms and a big arch the bar touches my belly before my elbows hit the floor....... but board work lets you work the same range of motion without having to lie on the floor.... just an idea

barbell01
07-15-2009, 04:14 PM
with short arms and a big arch the bar touches my belly before my elbows hit the floor....... but board work lets you work the same range of motion without having to lie on the floor.... just an idea

floor pressing still has it's own purpose. doing too much board pressing will make you really good at board pressing. you can lay pillows or foam under your elbows to make your elbows touch before your belly.

Clifford Gillmore
07-15-2009, 04:29 PM

Then use some thick mats so your elbows hit the ground before the bar touches your belly :)

edit; Just saw the above post...