PDA

View Full Version : Form issues

mONTE
07-13-2009, 03:05 PM
Okay guys, just finally nailed my bench and squat form (i think), but now that ive filmed myself deadlifting it seems that i have a way to neutral back and i feel my form is holding me back. I am a big guy i just recent found out that big lifters should stand a little wider. I think my hips are to high, can not belive i didnt figure this out before.

Could someone give me a few basic pointers, i want to relearn the whole movement. Like how high should the hips be for a big gutted lifter? Maybe its a flexibility issue? And should the shoulders be front or back of the bar? Some say front, some say back. Someone please help this newbie powerlifter! Thanks!

MarcusWild
07-13-2009, 03:08 PM
Post the video and we can try to help. It's mostly guess work without video. Are you conventional?

mONTE
07-13-2009, 03:10 PM
Yes, sorry forgot to mention, i am conventional! Ill try to see if i can get a video uploaded!

AFstud066
07-13-2009, 08:19 PM
I pull conventional and I think I put my feet to close and do what you say you do. I dont know what kind of disadvantage it is to have your feet real close. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction because I feel my ass isnt coming down low enough either when I get ready to pull from the floor.

Matt Adams
07-13-2009, 09:17 PM
ive always heard a rule of thumb on deadlift stance is to for example throw your car keys on the ground and whatever distance your feet are apart when you bend over to pick them up is where they should be when you pull. and one thing that helps teach me to get my hips down is deficit pulls. it forces me to drop my hips further than normal just to get to the bar

mONTE
07-14-2009, 04:47 AM
Anyone have an oppinion on the shoulders behind the bar vs infront of the bar?