PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Protein Sources

zbollman
07-13-2009, 07:10 PM
So I was talking to a buddy who works at the local GNC about protein bars so I can get in my protein when I'm on the road for long drives. Well he enlightened me to pre-cooked Tyson Chicken Breast Strips and pre-cooked Artificial Crab Meat at Walmart. Both have 40 grams of protein per bag. I bought 3 small jars of peanut butter, 2 bags of chicken, and 2 bags of "crab." Enough food for about 2 days.... Total cost, $15. Figured I would share my new found love for Walmart.

Zach

Invain
07-13-2009, 08:39 PM
If you have ANY cooking skills at all you could just buy regular chicken breasts on sale and fix them up yourself. I'd stay away from the pre-cooked crap as there's usually fillers and stuff added.

Honestly though, protein powder is pretty much the cheapest source of protein. If you get some for a good price it'll easily beat chicken and milk cents/grams wise.

cphafner
07-13-2009, 08:45 PM
So I was talking to a buddy who works at the local GNC about protein bars so I can get in my protein when I'm on the road for long drives. Well he enlightened me to pre-cooked Tyson Chicken Breast Strips and pre-cooked Artificial Crab Meat at Walmart. Both have 40 grams of protein per bag. I bought 3 small jars of peanut butter, 2 bags of chicken, and 2 bags of "crab." Enough food for about 2 days.... Total cost, $15. Figured I would share my new found love for Walmart.

Zach

The pre cooked chicken is probably double the price per pound of uncooked chicken.

Goodwinm
07-13-2009, 08:50 PM
Id agree definitely. Precooked chicken is way more expensive and is usually filled with a lot of water to make it heavier or look bigger. So before your on the road you could cook the raw chicken breast instead and then coat it with peanut butter ;)

dumbbell
07-13-2009, 09:24 PM
So before your on the road you could cook the raw chicken breast instead and then coat it with peanut butter ;)

Yummy. Reeses Chicken Cups.:clown:

zbollman
07-13-2009, 10:16 PM
Unfortunately, I am not home enough to cook. I live off tuna out of a can and cottage cheese. Protein powder is cheap for protein, but does not fill me up. My reasoning behind this is if your on the run and don't have time to cook all the food before you have to do something. For example; I'm not allowed to have any heat producing appliance in my dorm, so filling the fridge with pre-cooked meat is going to be the closest I get. I only get 3 meals a day at the cafeteria. If I had an appartment or house I wouldn't be concerned by pre-cooked food, but when I cant cook it -- it becomes a great alternative to protein mixes, or only 3 meals a day.

Zach

Clifford Gillmore
07-14-2009, 02:19 AM
One day I'll tell you how we make pre-cooked chicken. You'll have fun trying to eat it afterwoods :) :)

JinNC
07-14-2009, 02:52 AM
One day I'll tell you how we make pre-cooked chicken. You'll have fun trying to eat it afterwoods :) :)

Please tell us!:ninja:

malkore
07-14-2009, 10:31 AM
what's the brand of fake crab meat?

cuz every fake crab meat product I've seen had as much carbs as protein, and half the protein was gelatin and plant protein as binders (meaning, its not 'really' 40g of usable protein).

ejay20
07-14-2009, 11:47 AM
egg whites from costco.