PDA

View Full Version : Starting GPP

TremL96
07-14-2009, 08:38 AM
I plan on starting GPP here shortly, but I was wondering what all I will need. So far I've been thinking sandbags, sled, tire, sledgehammer, and a medicine ball. Anything else you guys use?

And also, I read the "What is GPP?" thread but didn't get enough information, and the links weren't working for me for some reason. Can anybody describe more to me the routine? I know it varies but I mean like what days out of a week do you guys do, how long do most of your workouts last and such. I'm not in any hurry at starting it, I want to know as much as I can before I get to work on it.

Sensei
07-14-2009, 08:56 AM
Trem,
It's kind of a touchy subject for some of us as to what exactly constitutes "GPP". IMHO, GPP is general physical preparation for something. It's what you do to get in shape physically and mentally before you can really begin to hammer away with training for what you want to accomplish.

There are a lot of "hard things" that you can do, but beginning with the end in mind is going to save you a lot of time and energy down the road.

Travis Bell
07-14-2009, 09:54 AM
I'd agree with Sensei. GPP is different from just plain ol cardio because you're generally using a large proportion of your body for a specific purpose.

For instance, I do GPP work to increase my recovery as well as my agility and athleticism. So with those goals, my GPP work is a little more frequent and intense, but shorter in duration than others.

Some will do GPP work for endurance, fat loss or event specific things (crossfit, strongman etc) so theirs will be varying in intensity and longer in duration.

I'm a huge fan of the prowler. The sled is awesome, a good sized tire for flipping is also an excellent tool, but for me, the prowler is the hardest.

TremL96
07-14-2009, 01:20 PM
I don't play sports anymore, so that doesn't play into it. I'm really just looking to lose fat while maintaining my muscle. I could try cutting with a regular routine, but it's about time for me to switch routines anyways, so I decided to try out GPP. Anything else you guys need to know?

tomv
07-14-2009, 04:18 PM
Why's it time for you to switch routines? Are you no longer seeing gains with your current one? What are you currently using?

I'm not necessarily a fan of GPP (in the sense of tires/sledgehammers/sandbags) as a whole routine, maybe 2 days a week and a good solid strength program the other 2 would be a better idea.

Travis Bell
07-14-2009, 05:59 PM
GPP doesn't need to be an entire routine. I use it after my training sessions

TremL96
07-14-2009, 06:47 PM
So stick to my routine (might try to compile it a little more to get one more day off), and just use GPP stuff as extra?

Travis Bell
07-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Exactly

TremL96
07-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Exactly

Haha, alright. Thanks guys! Would've been a bad move if I had just started GPP without asking first.

fpr
07-14-2009, 11:24 PM

I'm a huge fan of the prowler. The sled is awesome, a good sized tire for flipping is also an excellent tool, but for me, the prowler is the hardest.

Is tire flipping recommended even if you're deadlifting? Seems like tire flipping would be pretty taxing on the lower back too.... how heavy should you go?

I saw some kid flipping a punching bag in my gym the other day, he said it was 80lbs, he was getting a good work out of it though, I'm wondering if maybe that's just because it was heavy for him? Seems very light.

Joe Black
07-15-2009, 02:01 AM
I just tack a GPP style workout (20 mins) at the end of my weights sessions (40 mins) purely for the goal of losing weight/fat.

Also, you don't neccessarily need fancy equipment. Sandbags, balls, sleds, tires are great but you could also just set up some circuits doing stuff like running, farmers walks with dumbels etc Check out the fat guys gpp thread here for some examples of quick and easy workouts.

Travis Bell
07-15-2009, 03:40 AM
Is tire flipping recommended even if you're deadlifting? Seems like tire flipping would be pretty taxing on the lower back too.... how heavy should you go?

You're tire shouldn't be so heavy that it would hurt your back after deadlifting. I have a couple 500lb tires and a couple 250lb tires. When I flip tires on lower days, I normally use the 250lb tires.

I just tack a GPP style workout (20 mins) at the end of my weights sessions (40 mins) purely for the goal of losing weight/fat.

Also, you don't neccessarily need fancy equipment. Sandbags, balls, sleds, tires are great but you could also just set up some circuits doing stuff like running, farmers walks with dumbels etc Check out the fat guys gpp thread here for some examples of quick and easy workouts.

Exactly. Some sort of sprints can work as well.

TremL96
07-15-2009, 06:32 AM
I saw some kid flipping a punching bag in my gym the other day, he said it was 80lbs, he was getting a good work out of it though, I'm wondering if maybe that's just because it was heavy for him? Seems very light.

Meh, well I'm only 5'9" at roughly 147lb. So I'm not that big either...

Another question: Is there anywhere where I can get tires for cheap or free? All we have around here is regular car tires, and those are just way too light. I can flip tractor tires (I'm not sure how heavy it was) but it's a struggle.

fpr
07-15-2009, 12:26 PM
This has been discussed in the past. If I remember correctly, the general consensus was that the easiest thing to do is to go to a construction/trucking company and see if they have any tires they're about to get rid of and ask if you can either have it for free or pay to take it off their hands.

TremL96
07-15-2009, 09:16 PM
Alright and another one I thought of is do you guys tape your sandbags, or leave them as is? I've heard of people putting duct tape around it to reinforce it a little from ripping open, which sounds like a good idea.

And how often and when should I do GPP? I hear a lot of people say they do it on off days or after workouts.

TremL96
07-21-2009, 08:06 PM
Any answers?

tomv
07-21-2009, 09:54 PM
How often you do it depends on your goals/ability level/age/diet/spare time.

Start twice a week at 30 minutes a session, either on your off day or after a 15 minute break from your workout.

Keep the intensity up, sprinting, lifting, carrying, pushing, flipping whatever. Don't let your form go to ****.

Travis Bell
07-21-2009, 10:06 PM
I do it 3-4 times a week.

When it's on training days it's a little lower in intensity, on off days it's more intense and just a tad longer.

TremL96
07-22-2009, 06:31 AM
Alright, and do you guys tape your sandbags?

Sensei
07-22-2009, 06:48 AM
Buy an Army duffel bag at an Army surplus store and some contractor bags at a hardware store - put the sandbag in one or two layers of contractor bags and seal it, then put the sandbags+contractor bags in the duffle. It should hold up to moderate punishment for quite a while.

Duct tape is fine.

Travis Bell
07-22-2009, 01:13 PM
just keep the army bag from getting wet and you'll be fine.

TremL96
07-22-2009, 08:35 PM
Buy an Army duffel bag at an Army surplus store and some contractor bags at a hardware store - put the sandbag in one or two layers of contractor bags and seal it, then put the sandbags+contractor bags in the duffle. It should hold up to moderate punishment for quite a while.

Duct tape is fine.

Closest army surplus store is over an hour away. lol. I'll probably just buy plenty of duct tape and tape it over and over.

However I do need to drop by there here sometime in the next few months. Running out of face paint, and I need some more woodland BDUs and a duffel bag for my ghillie....

LoneJeeper
08-10-2009, 01:04 PM
Closest army surplus store is over an hour away. lol. I'll probably just buy plenty of duct tape and tape it over and over.

However I do need to drop by there here sometime in the next few months. Running out of face paint, and I need some more woodland BDUs and a duffel bag for my ghillie....

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/BAG099-1.html is what I use, I just cut off the straps. They're cheap enough a buddy of mine has one tucked into another. I've never even split a seam on mine.