PDA

View Full Version : Any special recommendations for my diet/weight training scenerio?

Snoofy
07-14-2009, 09:50 AM
Hi. I'm a 28 yr old man trying to lose fat..yet at the same time develop muscle mass. I currently weigh 217 lbs. I'm looking to lose a few inches off my waist. I've somewhat modified my diet over the last few weeks. Trying to take in more lean protein/vegetables and less fats and carbs. I will post my weight training scehedule later if I feel it is neccessary. I do cardio for about 1/2 and hr to 45 minutes a day.

I'm not overeating like I used to. Eat a solid three meals a day and a protein shake. Is something like this a detriment or unbenefitical to me wanting a better muscle gain? I know that people serious about building muscle tend to prioritize eating more than 3 well balanced meals a day.

Thanks..feedback is appreciated.

platypus
07-14-2009, 12:53 PM
losing weight and gaining muscle can be done, but it's more efficient to focus on one or the other. take a few hundred calories off your maintenance and keep weight lifting. you won't gain as much muscle this way, but once you accomplish your weight goals, you can then focus on bulking and gaining muscle.

Trainwreck
07-14-2009, 02:03 PM
You've already taken a step in the right direction by changing your diet. The idea is to eat below maintenance in order to lose weight; whether you create that deficit with cardio or by eating less is up to you (although you can combine them).

You could try doing HIIT(High Intensity Interval Training) 2 days and the third do SS(Steady State). No need to do 45 minutes of cardio everyday. Try doing it on off days from lifting or at least 8 hours away from your lifting sessions.

Diet, the cleaner the food choices the better... lean meats, vegetables, whole grains, etc. As long as you're eating below maintenance you will lose weight. Keep in mind that 1 pound = 3500 calories so if you eat 500 calories below maintenance you should see a steady loss of ~1lb per week. Read This (http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/nutrient-timing-when-science-and-marketing-collide/),it will help you get a better understanding on nutrition (especially the whole eating 3 times vs 6 times a day issue). Having said that, lots of people recommend eating smaller meals more often because its a lot easier to eat 4000 calories in 6 meals than it is to eat it in 3. Bottom line being that as long as you get your nutrients for the day, it doesn't matter when you do it.

Keep your protein intake high (at least 1g per pound of lean body mass), couple this with a good routine and consistency and you're guaranteed results. Best of luck.