PDA

View Full Version : deadlift wsb routine...

Virtron
07-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Over a week ago I finished up my copy of louie's book and decided to give it another try... I figured I would post my routine. Let me know what you guys think.

Sunday - ME Squat/DL day
Max effort exercise - I did DL two weeks in a row. I plan on cycling low box squat, GM, concentric GM, rack pulls, and deadlifts as necessary.
Good Mornings - 3x8 (is this enough volume?)
Back Raises - (the book said work up to a heavy set of 3-5 reps) so I did 3 sets of 4 reps with the appropriate weight... is this correct?
Abs

Monday - Extra Workout/Restoration
Pull-through squats - 3x15
Rows of any kind - 3x8 (again volume?)
Abs

Tuesday - Extra Workout/Restoration
Lats of any kind - 3x5-8
Band Leg Curls - 3x15
Abs

Wednesday - DE Day
Box jumps off a 12" box onto a 24" box - 3x15
Speed work such as box squats at 40-50% with a 3 week pendulum.
GHR on the 45 degree hyperextension machine - 3x10 (should I leave it at this or is 4x6 better?)
Pull-throughs for lower back - 3x15
Abs

Thursday - Extra workout/restoration
Rows of any kind - 3x8
band leg curls - 3x15
abs

Friday - extra workout/restoration
lats - 3x5-8
band leg curls - 3x15
abs

Saturday - extra workout/restoration
band leg curls - 3x15
abs

Obviously when it comes time that I stop progressing with those accessory exercises I'll switch them up, but thats the general idea I had. What do you think?

JasonLift
07-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Are you not doing bench/upper body work or did you just not post what you are doing for that?

What is your exp. level? How long have you been training, etc. Extra workouts and restoration work is great, but sometimes newer trainees can over do it. I know I did at one point and saw better results and pr's from making sure my restoration work was doing just that and not hampering it.

Virtron
07-15-2009, 10:18 PM
Are you not doing bench/upper body work or did you just not post what you are doing for that?

What is your exp. level? How long have you been training, etc. Extra workouts and restoration work is great, but sometimes newer trainees can over do it. I know I did at one point and saw better results and pr's from making sure my restoration work was doing just that and not hampering it.

I don't do the bench. I do upper back but not chest and such. I would have to say I'm a beginner.

HP666
07-16-2009, 11:18 AM
I don't do the bench. I do upper back but not chest and such. I would have to say I'm a beginner.

Not trying to be a wise at in any way but, why not? And if you are a true beginner Westside probably isn't the best way to go right out of the gate. I think you need to build a foundation through simplicity first. Or use a Westside template and keep it simple and do a lot of reps and build a foundation rather than just jump into singles/triples, etc.

I'll say it for the 87th time here on these boards, read this:
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/getting_ready.htm

barbell01
07-16-2009, 11:21 AM
you need to bench.

Brian C
07-16-2009, 04:49 PM
you need to bench.
Yes..

Virtron
07-16-2009, 07:23 PM
I mean I just don't see why I need to bench...

barbell01
07-16-2009, 08:20 PM

benching is the most important upper body compound movement. you also need one to total. can i ask why you don't? not to be mean but is it because it is weak? everybody starts somewhere. it's time you start benching son.

Virtron
07-16-2009, 08:47 PM
benching is the most important upper body compound movement. you also need one to total. can i ask why you don't? not to be mean but is it because it is weak? everybody starts somewhere. it's time you start benching son.

Not even that. Its obvious that its weak. Its more so that I want to focus on the deadlift. I mean people focus just on the bench and a lot only benched.

barbell01
07-16-2009, 08:54 PM
i hope you start benching soon. you will be glad you did. you can bench and still favor the deadlift. btw, if you get that squat going, your deadlift will skyrocket. OH, and bench only guys still squat and deadlift. again, i hope to see you bench soon. stay strong.

Virtron
07-17-2009, 08:22 AM
i hope you start benching soon. you will be glad you did. you can bench and still favor the deadlift. btw, if you get that squat going, your deadlift will skyrocket. OH, and bench only guys still squat and deadlift. again, i hope to see you bench soon. stay strong.

Thanks i shouldve mentioned that i do squat. Im gonna low box squat this sunday and next. Maybe ill bench one day. Ill think about it. :)

HP666
07-17-2009, 08:33 AM
Thanks i shouldve mentioned that i do squat. Im gonna low box squat this sunday and next. Maybe ill bench one day. Ill think about it. :)

I hope Travis Bell sees this thread and chimes in, he can talk to you about this. Travis is a "Bench Only" competitor, and a damn good one, but he still trains his deadlift and squat. It's very important for your overall strength. It's fine of you want to concentrate more on the deadlift but if you don't bench you are just hurting your overall performance, including in the deadlift.

danmac
07-17-2009, 10:04 AM

So will you be competing in deadlift only competition? Or do you plan on just throwing in a token bench at full meets and getting a ****ty total?

I find it really weird that someone wouldn't train the bench AT ALL. I get that its not a priority, but its 1/3 of powerlifting. Plus it develops the beach muscles haha.

barbell01
07-17-2009, 10:23 AM
So will you be competing in deadlift only competition? Or do you plan on just throwing in a token bench at full meets and getting a ****ty total?

I find it really weird that someone wouldn't train the bench AT ALL. I get that its not a priority, but its 1/3 of powerlifting. .

this is my thoughts exactly....... wierd..... a little too wierd....

Sean S
07-17-2009, 11:28 AM
There's only so much training you can do for the DL, so you might as well train the other lifts as well. You can certainly do this and still prioritize the DL.

Virtron
07-17-2009, 02:56 PM
Fine! Fine! Sheesh lol. I don't care about beach muscles lol. I was planning on doing it eventually I can definitely use the shoulder strength. I don't care about the total. I care about the deadlift. Look I understand everyone's point. I enjoy what I do. I want to keep enjoying it. Since this is a hobby for me and not bread and butter, I think first and foremost it should be fun. I used to bench. I dunno if its in this journal or not, but I did well and I enjoyed it. I even used chains and saw amazing results. I might just Bench once a week without a speed day. I feel with all these extra workouts that I prefer during the week for the deadlift I'm progressing not necessarily faster but more efficiently. Thanks again all.