PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to consume as much protein on off days?

Girn26
07-14-2009, 02:15 PM
on workout days I wake up have breakfest, an hour or 2 later have my protein shake then hit the gym an hour later.. then when i get home i have my post-workout shake.. now on my off days do i still have to eat as much protein as I would when i workout? can i take out my post-workout shake when im not working out??

VikingWarlord
07-14-2009, 02:19 PM
Don't bother with a shake on an off day. Replace that with real food but keep the overall intake the same.

Unreal
07-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Your repair your muscles on those off days. So yes, you want to keep protein high.

Girn26
07-15-2009, 03:47 PM
i got another question.. how many hours before the gym should i have my pre-workout shake? and how many hours after the gym should i have my post-workout shake?

spectralshadow
07-15-2009, 03:51 PM
I take my shake an hour before, and as soon as I get back.

There's an article around here somewhere, in which it says the glycogen levels of the body will drop after a workout, and to prevent catabolism you should drink a PWOShake 30 minutes or sooner.

I know since I take results, that it indicates to drink the shake then wait an hour before working out.

Unreal
07-15-2009, 04:32 PM
The time before depends on what is in your shake and you. Experiment and see what works for you.