PDA

View Full Version : Westside Barbell Training

aterry
07-14-2009, 02:41 PM
I started a thread in the bodybuilding forum but thought I would post it over here too. I was curious how WSBB differs from SS, and if SS is a poor alternative to doing something that Louie Williams stresses.

Travis Bell
07-14-2009, 02:42 PM
Who is this Louie Williams person?

danmac
07-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Who is this Louie Williams person?

Founder of Eastside Dumbbell i think.

Travis Bell
07-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Founder of Eastside Dumbbell i think.

hahaha ah, I see. I had heard something of his shennanigans

aterry
07-14-2009, 04:11 PM
Ha, Louie Simmons, my mistake, that's what I get when I try to forum hop while working.

tomv
07-14-2009, 04:16 PM
Haha you guys are dicks =P.

Aterry, his name is Louie Simmons and Travis actually trains with him haha. WSBB is for more advanced powerlifters whilte Starting Strength is exactly that... for those starting out. Don't think that because it is a simple routine it won't be incredibly effective for building muscle / power.

What you use depends on your experience I think.

bencher8
07-14-2009, 05:38 PM
Why do people think WSB training is for advanced lifters only? A WSB template can be for anyone looking to gain strength. I have seen starters use the template as well as advanced guys and everyone in between. The exercises and types/amounts of resistance might need to be evaluated depending on the lifters experience and needs, but the template can be used by any level of lifter....imo

Travis Bell
07-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Why do people think WSB training is for advanced lifters only? A WSB template can be for anyone looking to gain strength. I have seen starters use the template as well as advanced guys and everyone in between. The exercises and types/amounts of resistance might need to be evaluated depending on the lifters experience and needs, but the template can be used by any level of lifter....imo

I completely agree. I've used the WSB template on very inexperienced lifters who have had great success with it.

MarcusWild
07-14-2009, 06:13 PM
I completely agree. I've used the WSB template on very inexperienced lifters who have had great success with it.

I agree 100% that the methods work for beginners. I think the issue is it can be difficult for a beginner to implement them on their own without an experienced coach. You definitely need someone that can watch you lift and identify your weaknesses. The experienced coach great accelerates the learning curve for that. I can only imagine how fast the learning curve is when the coach is Louie.

As an example, I had misidentified my DL weakness. I would get to below my knees and my upper back would round. I figured that meant my upper back was weak. When I went to Louie's seminar, I asked him about it since upper back work wasn't improving my deadlift. He said it was a weak lower back. My lower back wasn't strong enough which kept my hips behind me. That is why my upper back rounded over. I increased the lower back work and quickly set a deadlift PR, then 2 months later set a 27 lb PR in a meet.

tomv
07-14-2009, 09:28 PM
My apologies, I never meant that beginners couldn't gain muscle on WSB routine, simply that I thought it was a routine that worked better with a good coach especially to give advice on the program/form.

Travis Bell
07-14-2009, 09:35 PM
Nothing to apologize for tomv, it's a common misconception

Any program works best with a good coach to give advice on form, technique and exericse selection, unfortunately many don't have that luxury.

Equipped with the correct information, beginners can still utilize the Westside method so long as they have trusted spotters and some basic equipment.

Without a coach you're still not going to get the maximum benefit, but in comparison to other methods you're still going to make awesome gains.

Jonah
07-14-2009, 09:46 PM
hahaha ah, I see. I had heard something of his shennanigans

I swear to God I'm gonna pistol whip the next guy who says Shenanigans.

Jesse Hernandez
07-14-2009, 10:11 PM
Shenanigans