PDA

View Full Version : History on Westside Barbell

sobrinoc
07-14-2009, 10:02 PM
"Without a coach you're still not going to get the maximum benefit, but in comparison to other methods you're still going to make awesome gains." - Travis

That got me thinking... I read in one of Louie's articles that he use to train all by himself before founding westside. Just curious if anyone knows how he started the gym and team. Was he drinking one day with a powerlifting buddy and said "Screw it, let's open a gym! I'm tired of commercial gyms not letting me bring in chalk or my box for squats!"?

Travis Bell
07-15-2009, 03:34 AM
He actually bought the gym from a guy out in California and moved it to Ohio

Prior to that he trained in his garage.

I'm not exactly sure at what point in his life he started training in his garage, but I'm pretty sure it was for the majority of his training. Lou never did bodybuilding, he's always done powerlifting. I believe he competed since his teenage years.

mONTE
07-15-2009, 03:45 AM
Didnt lou start out with olympic lifting? I think i read that somewhere, but correct me if im wrong :)

Travis Bell
07-15-2009, 03:46 AM
No I don't believe so, but I could be mistaken

mONTE
07-15-2009, 04:03 AM
"Simmons began training in Olympic lifting at age 12" from wikipedia ;p but could be bs tho..

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louie_Simmons)

tomv
07-15-2009, 04:08 AM
Hey Farva! What's the name of that restaurant you like with all the goofy **** on the walls and the mozzarella sticks?

mattdunkin
07-15-2009, 05:11 AM
"Simmons began training in Olympic lifting at age 12" from wikipedia ;p but could be bs tho..

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louie_Simmons)

It is true.This is from his article "Then and Now" which can be found on the WS site article section.I suggest reading it as it is one of my favorite of Louie's articles.

THEN AND NOW
My powerlifting memories start in 1966, just one month before my induction into the Army. I feel like Captain Ahab with his obsession with Moby Dick. I am strapped to powerlifting, and I know I will be pulled to my chalky death by it eventually, but I canít stop.
All my memories and my friends are involved in powerlifting, so I am drawn to it even more today than ever. So this is my story as I remember it.
My first exposure to powerlifting was a power meet in Dayton, Ohio, late in 1966.1 had Olympic lifted since I was 12 and competed at 14, doing a 175 snatch and a 260 clean/jerk at a body weight of about 155.1 really thought I was a strong guy until that first power meet. There were 11 men in the 165s and I got 10th place, beating only a 55 year old dude.
This was an eye opener for me. I never Olympic lifted again. My Olympic lifting training partners should have worn signs saying "I lift weights", because if they were brought into court for it, the case would be thrown out for lack of evidence. However, the powerlifters I saw not only were strong but looked like they were strong.
One of these men was Milt McKinney, a future world champion in the 132s. George Crawford was amazing at 165, trying a 525 world record squat with legs like tree trunks. He later squatted 650 at 165 with no gear, when 500 was good. George was the first to help me with my squat form. He was always helpful at meets. His son came to visit years later, and it was my honor to help him.
Vince Anello was in the meet as well, showing signs of his deadlift prowess even then. Vince told me once that anything made his deadlift go up. He was doing the conjugate system without knowing it. I just saw Vince at the 2004IPFWorld Bench Championships in Cleveland, OH. He still looks great.
That meet in 1966 was my introduction to Larry Pacifico. He would become one of the greatest

mONTE
07-15-2009, 05:20 AM
Thats where i read it! Good, im not imagining s**t

UHCougar05
07-15-2009, 06:52 AM
Hey Farva! What's the name of that restaurant you like with all the goofy **** on the walls and the mozzarella sticks?

http://rofl.wheresthebeef.co.uk/Super%20Troopers%20Shenanigans%2001.jpg