PDA

View Full Version : Is a meet worth doing when...

Andre518
07-14-2009, 11:42 PM
I was thinking is it worth competing in a meet if your the only one in your weight class? I plan to do a meet in Nov in the Open 242 class but its seems like there is never anyone in this class when I look at meet results in my area for either the 100% RAW or AAPF federations. I just cut down from 271 to 246 I dont think it would be good for me to cut to the 220 class. I was really comfortable and getting somewhat confident at the 242 class now I have doubts if Im gonna be the only lifter in that class or not. Any advice would be great.

Fuzzy
07-15-2009, 12:17 AM
It's a different world on the platform dude. People don;t get this, it is never as simple as going out and doing what you do. Suddenly there are judges, a different bar, everything feels different, you need to learn to get used to that.

Throw yourself into as many meets as your body can handle, you learn sooo much about yourself every single time.

YOu can just use a Wilkes formula to judge how you went overall comapred to the rest of the lifters.

Jesse Hernandez
07-15-2009, 12:37 AM
It's a different world on the platform dude. People don;t get this, it is never as simple as going out and doing what you do. Suddenly there are judges, a different bar, everything feels different, you need to learn to get used to that.

Throw yourself into as many meets as your body can handle, you learn sooo much about yourself every single time.

YOu can just use a Wilkes formula to judge how you went overall comapred to the rest of the lifters.

Nicely said Fuzzy.

BigTallOx
07-15-2009, 03:21 AM
To me meets are about PRs anyway ( and officially documenting where I'm currently at ). Go to the meet and compete against yourself.

blownby
07-15-2009, 08:34 AM
Hell ya!....For me the meet usually is about ME! Me setting new numbers and bettering myself! Plus most meets will award overall winners based on wilks or something like that! So you really are going against all weight classes too!

Now when on a big stage like Nationals or Arnold classics, its mostly about winning, more than PR's.

Plus the more practice the better you get!

Pete22
07-15-2009, 09:38 AM
To me meets are about PRs anyway ( and officially documenting where I'm currently at ). Go to the meet and compete against yourself.

This. Until you get to the point where you're breaking national/world records, just go and try and set PRs and gain experience on the platform. Also, you could learn a lot from other lifters at the meet and maybe even gain some contacts or training partners in the sport.

fulldaddy
07-15-2009, 09:50 AM
Don't miss a chance to compete!

Tom Mutaffis
07-15-2009, 10:03 AM
I would definitely compete, and you can use the records or how the lighter / heavier lifters perform as a good benchmark.

Powerlifting should be about personal achievements and not about "beating other guys".

My experience with strongman has covered both ends of the spectrum, competing against fields ranging from 2 other guys up to 47 other competitors (national level) - even 80 competitors if you want to count an overall division that I was entered in. It is still fun and you can still set PR's regardless of who the competition is.

Sensei
07-15-2009, 10:04 AM
Do it. If it's such a big deal to not be the only one in your division, gain or lose weight appropriately. The problem with some meets is there are WAY too many divisions - I like to win $5 trophies as much as the next guy, but come on!

theBarzeen
07-15-2009, 10:19 AM
Tom is right on par..... meets are about setting PR's and getting experience until you are at the National or World level..... check the state and national records if you really need something to work towards....