PDA

View Full Version : Equipment tips & tricks

Ripe1
07-15-2009, 06:13 AM
This for all the experienced geared lifters. What little tricks do you have to get the last pounds out of your gear? I'm guessing everybody knows to pull down the collar of the shirt, pulling up the leg sleeves of the suit to get to depth but what about the rest. What do you do to make your shirt really work with you?

I suppose it's easier to play with a bench shirt than a squat suit but surely there must be ways. Gurus, help the gear noobies around the world!

mONTE
07-15-2009, 06:35 AM
Yeah, good post, i dont know anything about gear. This could be interesting :)

Rob Luyando
07-15-2009, 07:46 AM
Find exsperienced lifters in your area or attend a seminar. Hands on is the best way to learn. Hard to show someone how to jack a shirt up with words.

Tom Mutaffis
07-15-2009, 09:59 AM
I have heard of guys wrapping tennis balls in their knee wraps to create a spring effect, but pretty sure that would not be legal in most federations.

theBarzeen
07-15-2009, 10:24 AM
I have heard of guys wrapping tennis balls in their knee wraps to create a spring effect, but pretty sure that would not be legal in most federations.

that was a trick from 30 years ago..... not so common now that we have better gear....

your best bet to learn gear is to go find a group of experienced lifters within an hour or two drive. Go train with them, nobody on the internet can coach you like a seasoned lifter can in person.....

MarcusWild
07-15-2009, 11:31 AM
Wear your gear often and learn it.

rbtrout
07-15-2009, 11:35 AM
Wear your gear often and learn it.

Which causes me to post this -
I've stated before that I've got a squat suit (don't remember which one) that I've worn about a dozen times. I really don't prefer wearing it to squat. Should I just keep wearing it on ME squat days until I get used to it or what? I've found I actually squat better without it on; but maybe that's because I'm not used to it.

Sorry to hijack this thread.

Lones Green
07-15-2009, 11:40 AM
If you squat more without the suit on, then either you've got some serious form problems or the suit is too big or dead

Detard
07-15-2009, 12:01 PM
Flip/roll up the sleeves on your bench shirt to jack it more. Spinning the sleeves either in or out can also give some more pop from the shirt.

MarcusWild
07-15-2009, 12:08 PM
Which causes me to post this -
I've stated before that I've got a squat suit (don't remember which one) that I've worn about a dozen times. I really don't prefer wearing it to squat. Should I just keep wearing it on ME squat days until I get used to it or what? I've found I actually squat better without it on; but maybe that's because I'm not used to it.

Sorry to hijack this thread.

Yes, you should definitely wear it often to get used to it. Why not wear it with the straps down on DE squat days?

rbtrout
07-15-2009, 03:00 PM
Basically, then, I need to wear it more to break it in and get me used to it. I might try the straps down on DE days. Sorry for my ignorance, but thanks, as usual, for the help.

mosley1990
07-15-2009, 10:47 PM
also, sorry for this hijack, but, how come i cant touch 405 in my Rage X which i can put on and take off by myself? makes for an interesting time since my raw bench is only 335 :(

Clifford Gillmore
07-15-2009, 10:57 PM
also, sorry for this hijack, but, how come i cant touch 405 in my Rage X which i can put on and take off by myself? makes for an interesting time since my raw bench is only 335 :(

Heh, thats pretty normal. Try doing some triples in it, I'm sure you'll get 350 to touch.

mosley1990
07-16-2009, 12:47 AM
Heh, thats pretty normal. Try doing some triples in it, I'm sure you'll get 350 to touch.

Thanks Risk. It just through me for a loop because a week or two ago i could touch with 315 lol. This time we set the shoulders good and then pulled the shirt down and put a belt on it so, im guessing thats what did it.

jtteg_x
07-16-2009, 01:51 AM
lightly soaking the chest plate and arm seams on the shirt helps a bit to touch.
for sumo pulling, getting the hips lower will result in a more "spring/pop" affect off the bottom. *this is where you should take advantage of speed pulls*

mONTE
07-16-2009, 03:25 AM
Little off topic, so in a double ply meet, one would be wearing briefs AND a squat suit?

Ripe1
07-16-2009, 05:09 AM
So for the bench shirt I know
-pulling down the collar
-soaking the chest plate and/or seams
-turning the sleeves in
-if legal per fed rules, sleeve locks
-and of course securing the shirt with the belt
Anything else?

Squat and dead suits are more mysterious at least to me.
-manipulating the suit by pulling the straps tighter/looser if the suit has aplix/velcro
-pulling up the pant legs for depth and reaching the bar
-before deadlifting raising your arms to get the suit "pulling towards the back" instead of leaning forward too much

More?