PDA

View Full Version : How many calories should I eat, and what breakdown prot/carb/fat

ShaleMacGregor
07-15-2009, 03:52 PM
6'2 250 lbs
~31% bodyfat

Plan on lifting weights 1-1.5 hours a day with 3 15 minute HIIT row sessions a week.

How many calories should I eat if I am trying to bulk up and gain muscle?

Unreal
07-15-2009, 04:31 PM
As many as it takes to gain weight. Get atleast 1g/lb of protein and .5g/lb of fat. Fill the rest with whatever makes you happy.

hintsas5
07-15-2009, 08:38 PM
6'2 250 lbs
~31% bodyfat

Plan on lifting weights 1-1.5 hours a day with 3 15 minute HIIT row sessions a week.

How many calories should I eat if I am trying to bulk up and gain muscle?

its not a good idea to be lifting everyday, if that is what u mean by ur original post.

Optimum08
07-16-2009, 08:06 AM
Approx. 12 cals/day

/sarcasm.

No one can tell you how many cals to consume. You need to set a diet that you like/can stick with at a set number of cals, follow that for a week and if you gain at a rate you like- keep it, if you maintain- up the cals, if you lose weight-up the cals even more.

Big Jay
07-16-2009, 04:25 PM
You need to set a diet that you like/can stick with at a set number of cals, follow that for a week and if you gain at a rate you like- keep it, if you maintain- up the cals, if you lose weight-up the cals even more.
this.

What are your goals? why you bulking when you have 31% bodyfat?

ShaleMacGregor
07-17-2009, 02:45 PM
this.

What are your goals? why you bulking when you have 31% bodyfat?

That is a good question, and maybe one I should have started with in this thread.

I have had a pretty screwed up history when it comes to working out. I enjoy it, I just always have gotten overwhelmed with other things in life and eventually stopped when I reached a weight/appearance I was happy with. Which I then put back on over a period of a year or so.

Its a yoyo cycle that I want to stop, so I thought I would work for muscle first then drop the weight this time.

Example:

April 08 : weight 247lbs
July 08: weight 209lbs
I did the P90x system and was just trying to lose weight

This time I weigh a little more ~ 255ish today, but instead of rushing it in 3 months like I did, My goals are over a 6th month period
1) Get to 10-15% body fat
2) Have at LEAST as much muscle or more than when i started
2b) Gain strength

If cutting first would be more beneficial, how would you break up the periods of bulking/cutting, or should I just simply cut down and lose a portion of the muscle I have currently, as in the photograph attached at 209, and then bulk?

Edit: Based on past experience I can stick to any diet for at least 3+ months, regardless of the makeup or portions. Yes i have chosen 6 months here because a friend and I are making a competition of it to keep each other motivated, and I want to have a good shape more than simply losing the most weight. I know I could get down to 190lbs or so, but Id rather be 215 with a lot more muscle.