PDA

View Full Version : knee pain...

Virtron
07-15-2009, 09:20 PM
So today I was on the 45 degree hyperextension machine doing back raises with a 60 pound bar on my back. Now the inside of my left knee feels weird. Should I have kept my legs locked out or should I have bended a little? Is it possible I hyperextended the knee too much?

evilxxx
07-15-2009, 09:37 PM
I usually try to keep a slight bend,is painful to lock them with extra weight on you.

ZenMonkey
07-15-2009, 10:02 PM
Foam roll your IT band and see if that helps.

Virtron
07-16-2009, 07:31 AM
Foam roll your IT band and see if that helps.

foam roll my what? Iliotibial band? how does one do that?

Also isnt the IT band on the outside of the knee?

ZenMonkey
07-16-2009, 07:56 AM
foam roll my what? Iliotibial band? how does one do that?

Also isnt the IT band on the outside of the knee?

It runs along the outside of your leg and connects across your patella toward the inside of your leg. A knot or spasm in the IT band can cause a good deal of knee pain.

Youtube foam roll IT band and youll find alot of stuff. You can also use a pvc pipe.

Virtron
07-16-2009, 08:25 AM
It runs along the outside of your leg and connects across your patella toward the inside of your leg. A knot or spasm in the IT band can cause a good deal of knee pain.

Youtube foam roll IT band and youll find alot of stuff. You can also use a pvc pipe.

oh awesome man thanks

barbell01
07-16-2009, 10:45 AM
you also might wanna rethink your workout. you might be taking the deadlift routine a little too far by the looks of your other post.

Virtron
07-17-2009, 01:57 PM
Its better with a little IT Band stretching and this joint supplement I started taking. =D

ZenMonkey
07-17-2009, 01:59 PM
Its better with a little IT Band stretching and this joint supplement I started taking. =D

Sweet. Youll get sore from it but make sure to foam roll really slow and GRIND down on the roller. If it is a tender spot hit it harder. Also, be sure to hydrate afterward.

Sean S
07-17-2009, 04:06 PM
When I'm doing weighted 45 deg. back raises I have to actively contract my hamstrings to keep a very small bend in the knee, or at least prevent it from feeling like it is hyperextending. As long as I make a conscious effort to do this, I don't have any problems. If I forget, I get some knee pain.

Virtron
07-17-2009, 04:29 PM
When I'm doing weighted 45 deg. back raises I have to actively contract my hamstrings to keep a very small bend in the knee, or at least prevent it from feeling like it is hyperextending. As long as I make a conscious effort to do this, I don't have any problems. If I forget, I get some knee pain.

Oh man thats so reassuring. Thanks man. I just didn't want it to happen all the time. Does it go away for you eventually?

Sean S
07-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Oh man thats so reassuring. Thanks man. I just didn't want it to happen all the time. Does it go away for you eventually?

Any knee issues are long gone now. Just try and keep those hamstrings tensed throughout the movement.

Virtron
07-17-2009, 08:11 PM
Any knee issues are long gone now. Just try and keep those hamstrings tensed throughout the movement.

Gotcha. It sucks because I use that device to do GHR, but after today's 3 work sets. I think I'll hold off on GHRs until the knee thing gets better.