PDA

View Full Version : Singles or reset reps for deadlift?

Clone
07-15-2009, 11:46 PM
What are your thoughts on deadlift reps? Are singles better than resetting each rep?

When I started out I did touch and go, and then discovered this wasn't the best approach.

Then I went right into doing all singles and have been doing them for a little over a year. I got decent results out of them, bringing my DL from 405 to 475 @ 180 bodyweight raw at the end of last year.

I just started doing 5/3/1 and for the first time did my reps resetting each time, and everything felt super heavy. I realize there is time needed to adjust, but it was ridiculous. 385x5 felt real heavy, and I can do 385 for 10 singles with little problem.

Does that sound normal? Obviously singles allow a rest between each one.

It appears singles allow me to work with heavier weight, and reset reps make me work harder.

So which is better? I'm worried my DL may start to go backwards now.

Does anyone here do all singles for deads on the 5/3/1 routine?

barbell01
07-16-2009, 08:02 PM
do you push a prowler or pull sleds? maybe conditioning is the issue here.

ZenMonkey
07-16-2009, 08:08 PM
maybe conditioning is the issue here.

I agree.

robchris
07-16-2009, 10:23 PM
Clone,

Weather you're doing singles or resetting each rep you're still developing starting strength which is good!
(as opposed to reversal strength which is not needed w/ the DL)

I kinda' have to agree w/ Jeff ref to conditioning... Are you winded / drained, after doing the 3x5 wave? Also, as we fatigue, our form tends to break down and this makes it seem a lot harder as well... Slow down w/ the 5-rep work and ensure you're form/ set-up, is good on each!

chris mason
07-16-2009, 10:25 PM
I am sure seeing a lot on this 5-3-1 deal. Whose program is it?

Sidior
07-16-2009, 10:27 PM
I am sure seeing a lot on this 5-3-1 deal. Whose program is it?

Jim Wendler

chris mason
07-16-2009, 10:47 PM
That's what I thought. Interesting his influence. Do you have a link?

Sidior
07-16-2009, 10:52 PM
That's what I thought. Interesting his influence. Do you have a link?

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/how_to_build_pure_strength

Outlines it pretty damn well.

mastermonster
07-17-2009, 12:45 AM
I'm not a good deadlifter for the same reasons I'm a good bencher. But I've made my best improvements doing mostly singles. I'm not very famililar with 5-3-1; but the stable of lifters I pattern my DL philosophy from are mostly 700+, 800+ and 900+ deadlifters and 900+ to 1100+ squatters and they do only singles on all 3 comp. lifts. Their results are hard to argue with.

Clone
07-17-2009, 12:46 AM
do you push a prowler or pull sleds? maybe conditioning is the issue here.

Hmmmmm, didn't really think of that.

I do have a home made push/pull sled, but haven't used it lately.

I've been doing more stuff like sledgehammer swings, carrying a sand bag, broad jumps, with a 2 minute run inbetween each.

Just an all around conditioning theme. Only do it for about 12-20 mins straight.

Perhaps it isn't intense enough.

Clone
07-17-2009, 12:51 AM
Clone,

Weather you're doing singles or resetting each rep you're still developing starting strength which is good!
(as opposed to reversal strength which is not needed w/ the DL)

I kinda' have to agree w/ Jeff ref to conditioning... Are you winded / drained, after doing the 3x5 wave? Also, as we fatigue, our form tends to break down and this makes it seem a lot harder as well... Slow down w/ the 5-rep work and ensure you're form/ set-up, is good on each!

I actually was winded after 385x5 and was shocked.

But it was literally the first time I have ever done reset reps. I've been doing singles for a year straight, and TnG before that.

Notorious
07-17-2009, 12:45 PM
How long are your rests in between singles? IMO, 385x5 is much harder than 10 singles of 385, but that depends on your rest times I guess.

Clone
07-18-2009, 12:50 AM
At that weight I was doing 60 sec or a little under.