PDA

View Full Version : 225lb Push Jerk

SeanW
07-16-2009, 05:54 PM
After I posted the thread on one hand barbell pushpress, I wanted to see what I could do with both. The jerk just sort of happened. Never tried to lean how to jerk or anything but when I went to do the rep it ended up a push jerk. So I cant quite push press 225, but it went above my head and I held it there. haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU-2UKwu7r4

Jesse Hernandez
07-16-2009, 11:17 PM
Looks like it could be a bodyweight or above body weight push jerk, nice job.

SeanW
07-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Looks like it could be a bodyweight or above body weight push jerk, nice job.

Thanks. I weigh about 185-190. Been lifting consistently since about December.

Ben Moore
07-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Nice work - just a tip to help; work on your shoulder flexibility. The path of the bar should travel to just behind your head at lockout. If you can manage that, your lockout will feel more stable.

blackboard
07-17-2009, 12:30 PM
Nice work man looking strong. What is your Strict standing press numbers?

ZenMonkey
07-17-2009, 10:30 PM
Nice work - just a tip to help; work on your shoulder flexibility. The path of the bar should travel to just behind your head at lockout. If you can manage that, your lockout will feel more stable.

Listen to this man.

Notorious
07-18-2009, 11:54 PM

I don't think it's necessarily a shoulder flexibility issue, you just have to consciously push your head under the bar. It just doesn't come naturally for a lot of people.

Ben Moore
07-19-2009, 01:38 AM
I don't think it's necessarily a shoulder flexibility issue, you just have to consciously push your head under the bar. It just doesn't come naturally for a lot of people.

If you watch his vid though you see his head push through but the bar is still out in front. Most of the time I've seen this is shoulder flexibility. You could be right though.

SeanW
07-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. I'm not sure if it would be shoulder flexibility or not. Here is a vid of me doing some reps with strict over head press.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk8xPBvSEFw

I think before doing this 225 push jerk. The most I had ever had over my head was 185. Next time I try and go heavy I will really focus on pushing my head through.

blackboard
07-22-2009, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. I'm not sure if it would be shoulder flexibility or not. Here is a vid of me doing some reps with strict over head press.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk8xPBvSEFw

I think before doing this 225 push jerk. The most I had ever had over my head was 185. Next time I try and go heavy I will really focus on pushing my head through.

Add more weight. If you can push press 225 on your first try you should be going heavier than 115 for reps. Start messing around with weights ranging from 160lb-185lbs on your strict press.