PDA

View Full Version : Building running endurance as quickly as possible

letsdoit
07-16-2009, 11:22 PM
Hey guys, I'm trying to build up my cardio endurance by running. I enjoy running, and I need to be in good enough shape for BJJ- I just started BJJ and I literally felt like collapsing afterward. I had a horrible headache after class from pushing myself too hard.

I have a few questions about the best way to make progress. Right now I can jog 4 miles which is tough but doable; I want to be able to do 10 miles.

How long should it take me to work up to 10 miles? Is it best to go all-out and run intensely or should I not push my body to its limit when I run? Should I keep bumping up the mileage each time I run, but keep the same pace, or should I run about the same distance but faster?

blackboard
07-16-2009, 11:26 PM
With jiu jitsu you need to relax but the longer you train the easier it becomes. It's no different than running for the first time in months. You will end up super tired afterwards.

Reko
07-17-2009, 01:58 AM
All the above. If it were me, and I'm not distance expert, I would start by keeping the same pace but by going longer, the shorten the distance but do it faster, or maybe break up the distance in half, but do two separate sessions and try to constantly drop the time or increase the distance in the same time you know? The more different ways you can attack the problem the faster you will over come it.

heathj
07-17-2009, 03:13 AM
many ways. it may take a couple months to increase by 6 miles though. best way to do it is to set a date you want to run 10 miles by and then work backwards, increasing mileage every week.

use intervals, fartlek training, long distance training, speed training, pace-tempo training all to help increase speed and distance. look up some half marathon race programs on the internet and work with one of those. focus with one long mileage day per week and add 1 mile per week until 10.

Yamar
07-17-2009, 06:14 AM
I have been running competetive marathons for the last 10 years. At my highest I was averaging 15 miles per day or 100 miles per week.

Running long distances is a lot easier than you think. Endurance comes before speed. I recommend you forget all about pace for the time being. Leave your watch at home and just go easy. If you can not carry on a conversation throughout the run you are running to fast. I wouldn't aim to run your longest every run either. Maybe shoort for 1 or 2 long runs per week and make the others shorter and comfortable. Each week add a mile to you longest run. When you build the enduracne base you like you work on stamina- this is done by adding intervals.

I love to run myself. I still average about 8-10 miles per day. You'll keep the fat off that's for sure.